Skyraider AEW 1,Ark Royal 1958.

Hi Folk's,a Mojo restorer build and first Aircraft build of the year,I love Skyraider's,FAA scheme's and anything to do with Ark Royal,I saw this kit

being sold by fellow member Jaw for a great price and had to have it.Now it's an old Esci original with raised line's a basic cockpit etc but Italeri

give you it in gray rather than blue plastic and a great decal sheet.I was happily pottering on with the build when a couple of the guy's dropped

the bombshell that the fuselage was based on the original ground attack version and the armoured plating around the cockpit needed to go.

I sanded and scraped away and think I might just have got away with it! The rest was a

breeze,after glossing and decalling I preffered a satin coat rather than leave it glossy,these aircraft alway's seem to appear immaculate in service

so a dry brush of light gray over the raised lines and exhaust flow was all I felt was needed,WIP over on the Nato/Warpack GB,thank's fo looking in.

20190201_183440

20190201_183554

20190201_183642

20190201_183554

20190201_183440

20190201_183428

20190201_183400

20190201_183714

20190201_183741

20190201_183959

• Like 66
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A thing of beauty! Nice result indeed.

Cheer's Pete!

17 minutes ago, jaw said:

Wow Steve - that looks really good. Well done. I'm pleased that the Skyraider went to a good home!

John

Again many thank's John much appreciated great service😁

45 minutes ago, tinleeds said:

Nice one! Can you tell me how to insert photos? It use to be so easy all the time before but now something wrong...

Thank's Tinleed's,I saw your cracking Spitfire clicked on the link hoping to help but not a clue with your chosen hosting site I'm on Flickr

which is great but they are now charging a fee for over 1000 photo's.put a post in help and support(first section on main forum's page)

someone will know what to do.

• Like 1

That's lovely Steve, I have to agree that anything seen on Ark Royal is well worth building.

Weren't those radars & fairings later fitted on to the Shackleton AEW?

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Many thank's for the comment's and like's folk's alway'sappreciated.

6 hours ago, spaddad said:

Hi Steve,

you been up in the loft modelling, that's a bit brave innit!

Mad is the word Dave!

58 minutes ago, Viking said:

That's lovely Steve, I have to agree that anything seen on Ark Royal is well worth building.

Weren't those radars & fairings later fitted on to the Shackleton AEW?

Cheers

John

Thank's John,I believe they were.

Very nice.

A couple of years ago I'd been trying to figure out how to build an FAA Skyraider, then Italeri released this.  Great I thought, until it started getting some iffy reviews that put me off.  I shouldn't have worried; yours looks great so I might look into getting one one day.

Well done again.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

Great looking plane. Skyraiders were robust. So I take it for granted, that these planes did well for the RN

It has always puzzled me, that they changed this type for the Gannet. (Complicated).

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

That looks brilliant Steve,..... I love the markings option too,...... what a special looking Skyraider, you should feel very proud of that mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

You may gather I'm just a little biassed, but that's a very nice Skyraider you've produced there! I have the same kit in the stash, how did you get on with the decals?

ATB
Rick

That looks absolutely superb Steve!

I love this paint scheme; you’ve really done this justice. 

Right, now Inreally must have one of these (in the non existent collection 😂)

:goodjob:

Stunning.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Nice one, Steve, that looks really great.  I have loved the odd lines of the AEW Skyraider ever since I first saw the example that was at the Helston Aero Park, latterly Flambards, as a kid on holiday in Cornwall. Putting together an ESCI kit has been on my 'to-do' list for ages (actually, getting hold of an ESCI kit has been slightly higher up that list for ages); when I finally get to that bit of the list I'll be very pleased if I manage to produce a model like yours.

Jon

• Like 1