Airfix Sea Fury 1/48

Hi Folk's,the Skyraider is about to go in the Gallery so I was pondering another build  had a look through the excellent choices under construction in

the GB and Kallisti's Sea Fury post caught my eye.I'm not sure if he intend's to carry on as like most his heart is set on those lovely stripes worn in Korea

I'm happy to have her as seen nearer home I'll let Kallisti explain the relevance of the Sea Fury to NATO.

"Before it went to Korea on HMS Ocean 802 Squadron was based in Malta from November 1951 until they left with HMS Ocean in April 1952,"

"Before that they were on HMS Vengance which was in service in the Atlantic and North Sea from 1948 until 1951".Box Art.

20190201_184506

Part's count is high,molding is beautiful and decal sheet sublime,little start made on the cockpit base colour.

20190201_184419

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 11

I managed to get one myself last month and it looks like a good kit. 

I look forward to seeing this done with a European scheme as most, inc my hobbycraft one,  appear in the Korea scheme .

Colin 

• Like 1

Evening folk's latest progress on this project,cockpit painted and dry brushed used the supplied decal's for the instrument's and tape to represent the 

harness you know some of the finest raised detail and rivet's I've seen on an airfix kit are present here the only fault I've found is the sprue gates

on the tailplanes attach on the front facing's which is very difficult to remove without damage.

20190204_205825

20190204_211147

• Like 7

Morning folk's.This kit continues to suprise me,to my eyes the constuction process and engineering look's daunting but every step has been faultless,

in some area's the part's click into place and could stand without glue.Again my only dislike was the sprue gates right on the leading edges ofthe outer

wing's,a look over the reviews out there meant I was pre warned about the cowling issue it's a four piece affair which can be tricky if the instruction's

are followed.

20190206_100109

• Like 7

I only bought mine a couple of months ago, so probably won't start it for a couple of years!

I've also seen the remarks about the cowling but your dry fit looks pretty good to me, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

John

• Like 1

Hi folk's,she's on her feet drying nicely but I'm at a temporary halt before painting,Airfix annoyingly use number's for paint references so googled

the colour of the wheel well's etc, and it's can of worm's time,some aircraft and models show a yellow/green colour some the same "sky" as the fuselage.

I've been referencing am MAI build of Fisher model's big Fury and the builder has gone sky,real aircraft photos IMHO seem to show the Y/G colour on

restored and later  T variant,I've popped a query in the cold war discussion thread and we'll see what turn's up.

• Like 2

There is a dedicated thread, 'Ask all your Sea Fury questions' I think it's titled, in the Cold War section where this subect and many more are covered. From what I can recall the Hawker Primer yellow/green is typically correct for the vast majority of machines in areas such as the wheel bays, wing fold, engine compartment etc.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Col. said:

There is a dedicated thread, 'Ask all your Sea Fury questions' I think it's titled, in the Cold War section where this subect and many more are covered. From what I can recall the Hawker Primer yellow/green is typically correct for the vast majority of machines in areas such as the wheel bays, wing fold, engine compartment etc.

Cheer's Col.I'll check it out

• Like 1

Morning folk's yesterday's progress was the u/c legs and doors,I'm going with the airframe colour for the wheel well and door colour too so wasted time

on the green which is fine as I was never very happy with it,painting starts today.I'm putting a highlight wash into the panelling rather than a pre-shade

even the big Fisher model's kit build I'm referencing is finished in a relatively clean state.

20190208_100024

• Like 9

Hi folk's,day off today so an hour detail painting the wheel's and prop,I popped back up on the loft and gave the whole airframe a prime

in Tamiya IJN gray which I had from a long dead Zero project which showed noneed for any filler etc.

20190208_182346

• Like 7

Glad to hear this one has gone together so well for you Steve. Alas that does nothing to help me resist the temptation to add one into my own stash :lol: 

• Like 1

Morning folk's,a modelling free weekend in store the tiny terror that is the Grandson is staying so this is it till next week,paint on just a touch up here 

and there before glossingand a wash.

20190209_100802

• Like 9

Evening folk's,glossed while the tiny terror was having his morning nap tonight I started the decalling,I should get the the rest on tomorrow night

and after that a wash into the panel's the metal plate aft of the exhaust painted,canopy etc,next photo's should be the Gallery at the weekend.

IMG-20190210-WA0000

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Looks smart Steve and not far from finished.

Many thank's Col, I should have her in the Gallery this weekend,one of the reasons I sometimes do a few build's when a GB interest's me  is I don't

have a stash so buy as I build,I'm eyeing up more for this GB so after the Dakota's are done I'll be back hopefully with an F-84 in Luftwaffe colour's

although keeping the Naval theme I keep picking up (and putting back)  Trumpeter's Sea Hornet in my LMS!

• Like 1