AZ Douglas X-3 Stiletto 1/72

hsr

This is my 1/72 AZ Model's Douglas X-3 Stiletto. This is another kit that is not for the faint of heart or the easily discouraged and  for more details on my trials and tribulations you can see my WIP entry at

To summarize nothing that is supposed to go into the fuselage interior will fit and nothing on the right side of the fuselage lines up with the corresponding thing on left side. Including the canopy which is one piece. But it still built fairly quickly and I am happy with the outcome. So on to the pictures

KLNPWr5g_o.jpg

uD2UdPdc_o.jpg

T5LxFnL7_o.jpg

9MdbWSXH_o.jpg

Dfm7bHYi_o.jpg

n8qsCwJE_o.jpg

I am not sure why the canopy appears so cloudy in the pictures. It is not like that in real life. Here is a better view that also shows the small slit intakes I added ahead or the primary intakes;

J38jmDYN_o.jpg

Next up is the newly remastered Anigrand Douglas XF5D-1

Enjoy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Very nice.  Even though I have a great love of X-planes, this particular has never captured my imagination but you certainly made it look good. 

One thing I did notice was how shiny the wings are and wondered if that was correct? (Never having noticed the bare metal wings in pictures.)

It is.

Matt

Edited by Matt Parvis
  • Thanks 1

I'd expect it to be far better than the Revell kit but I built it in the days before I expected parts to fit or even shapes to be accurate! Just loved the shape and look of the thing. Remember this was well over 55 years ago and when Revell's box art sold their kits.

I've no idea to this day how accurate it was - didn't matter then.

Hope it's a nice build for you.

Dave

• Thanks 1

That came out nice. Nice work.

The X-3 is one of my favourites. Shame this kit is a bit of a ..... . Still, I am looking forward to having a go at my one, should look good in a X Planes line up :)

Thanks for sharing your build progress.

• Thanks 1

What a dilemma! I had this kit in my shopping cart until I saw in your build thread what a disaster it is. But now that I see what a great job you did in spite of its faults, I don't know what to do....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, billn53 said:

What a dilemma! I had this kit in my shopping cart until I saw in your build thread what a disaster it is. But now that I see what a great job you did in spite of its faults, I don't know what to do....

Fore warned is fore armed. Now you know what the issues are, you should go for it.

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

The X-3 is one of my favourites. Shame this kit is a bit of a ..... . Still, I am looking forward to having a go at my one, should look good in a X Planes line up :)

I look forward to seeing yours. It should be great.

Thanks

• Thanks 1