Say what? Well that's what it says on the box: Another one of those wacky end of the war flights of fancy that the German air industry became obsessed with.  seeing as I have a workstation free, I thought its high time I did a resin kit so pulled this one out of the stash.

46948608161_636d8278fe_b.jpg

Looks simple enough, there's plenty of prep to do on various moulding glitches etc (yup, resin dust is more toxic that a Justin Bieber song: face mask, spandex body stocking and total immersion of self in warm custard will be observed)

First job is to run this through the ultrasonic cleaner and some Dawn dish soap. Noticed its missing its "nozzler"  so some form of exhaust will need to be bodged crafted.

Scheme wise, I'm thinking a touch of "The Man in the High Castle" if you get my drift...

Cheers

Anil

• Like 11

Had this thread begun two months hence, I'd have assumed tomfoolery was afoot, but no, tis a thing.

Perhaps an Revell Vampire F.3 needs to join my stash workbench to keep the dastardly Hun at bay...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Had this thread begun two months hence, I'd have assumed tomfoolery was afoot, but no, tis a thing.

Perhaps an Revell Vampire F.3 needs to join my stash workbench to keep the dastardly Hun at bay...

Indeed, yet the dastardly Hun currently is destroying grinding bits and eating his way through my entire supply of filler, perhaps I may despatch him myself...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

A resin kit now, is it? Good Lord!

I can honestly say I have done one, once... and never again!

I will follow this, just to be able to empathise (and laugh heartily into my sleeve) with every agony and heartache you experience along the way! :D

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually much industry has taken place but its a brute of kit: Haven't been posting as all the work is pretty much remedial and boring to look at

Pinholes, you want pin holes ?

47415952791_4819312abb_b.jpg

Seriously?

40450552003_9e32c77c33_b.jpg

Tailplanes that fit?

47363227882_1a0cf5f5e5_b.jpg

Decided to to scribe some panel lines , because I can.

40447870053_6174da4387_b.jpg

32471211427_834a1fb8bf_b.jpg

Got to make new gear up doors doors and some basic interior bits to do but this may yet get done this month,.

Absolutely nothing fits and in some case it doesn't even seem that most of the parts supplied are for this kit. the scribing is dismal and best filled then redone and all that for a sticker price of £18.99...still its a wacky thing that no sane kit maker would ever mould. And its  handmade made by crazy Chinese enthusiasts so a great way to build up some skill and  support the real model enthusiasts out there

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I totally understand your feelings on this. My Ar 81 is just as bad if not worse. However, I will get it built, as it is an old time favorite that I thought never would get kitted.

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

It's on these types of builds that we learn the skills...

Looks like you're winning this one.

Stuart

Thanks for the moral support guys, this is actually less grief than it seems  and I've decided its going to be in the cabinet for march, no ifs or buts.

So lets have some resin love. Basic pit consist of scratched stick and some horrible Eduard superfabric belts plus  a test to check the mag stand mount, another banking to port apparently

33537575238_1c535ec537_b.jpg

33546194648_f31551f7cc_b.jpg

Inspired  by the Spirit Of the Great Detailer Nigel Heath, a little  bit of craziness, gave my RB Productions riveting tool a go, a few rows of double rivest but all good, should like nice under paint.

46698718944_fec11987a7_b.jpg

Main assembly and lots of milliput for tomorrow bit we're making progress.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Courageous said:

The tool has performed well with the resin.

Stuart

There's definitely a knack like scribing...I think going only one way with even pressure is the key?  I use a bendy brass ruler as the guide and it seemed to work well.

• Like 1

Onwards to the gear doors: Naturally they  are both different and too short so new ones were make using my Cricut

46713684284_89147ce8c4_b.jpg

Much better.

40470906153_430a0269f9_b.jpg

Big gap at the nose and wing join.

46521493035_5e64c4c128_b.jpg

Filler up kid!

46521494075_8b7a6b9cba_b.jpg

40470912243_ecd41813a3_b.jpg

That will need to dry for at least 24 hours before , yes even more sanding...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

Very nice work on the scribing and riveting, looks most effective. You are bashing this one into submission rather well.

Thanks Nigel, after seeing the lilliputian detail going into your helo, I thought the least I should do is tart this plain Jane up a wee bit...

• Like 1

I’ve decided to put all my WIP threads on hold for a few reasons: Now the Brexit is looming, I am going to a take a few European art and culture trips while travel is relatively easy. I also need get my ATPL back up and running as I want do some commercial flying and miss it. My true passion, jazz guitar sadly has almost withered as it’s a very time intensive and live performance thing that I really need to spend more time which is currently going on modelling.

Lastly I have had a quite unsettling experience on this site and encountered some elements that I find deeply disturbing and very unhealthy.  I feel spending a lot more time in the real world with real people and away from the rather strange and often hostile space of the internet and some of the unhealthy individuals who inhabit it ,  can only be a good thing.

After all this is a hobby done to gain pleasure and relaxation and currently I’m find  it anything but.

I’m going to finish these current as well my backlog of paid for, builds then as and when I finish any interesting models, I’ll post them the RFI. Perhaps after a good break I may find this space healthier.

Many thanks for all the encouragement and advice, stay safe, .enjoy your modelling and hopefully see you all again.

Anil

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

Lastly I have had a quite unsettling experience on this site and encountered some elements that I find deeply disturbing and very unhealthy.  I feel spending a lot more time in the real world with real people and away from the rather strange and often hostile space of the internet and some of the unhealthy individuals who inhabit it ,  can only be a good thing.

After all this is a hobby done to gain pleasure and relaxation and currently I’m find  it anything but.

I’m going to finish these current as well my backlog of paid for, builds then as and when I finish any interesting models, I’ll post them the RFI. Perhaps after a good break I may find this space healthier.

Many thanks for all the encouragement and advice, stay safe, .enjoy your modelling and hopefully see you all again.

Anil

I can identify with this Anil; I too recently encountered real personal abuse from a so-called fellow modeller on another Internet board, hence my shift of affiliation to BM. I find viewing the other board (which I used to really enjoy) now rather uncomfortable.

Try to recall the fun and enjoyment that BM can provide (read CedB's Nimrod WIP thread for example - you'll learn more about sausages than you'll ever need to know!), and hopefully this will more than offset any unsettling experiences.

It does seem that there are far more pleasant, reasonable (and bonkers) folk here on BM than not - have a rest and come back refreshed.

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A few updates as its done- just had too many other things to regularly post but plugged away at this beastie during my posting hiatus:

RFI:

46951757934_9188318802_b.jpg

32797677467_b44deb17b6_b.jpg

32797680787_267662f874_b.jpg

32797685107_68d1483e9f_b.jpg

Well its my first resin kit and and for the "what the hell is that?" reaction, it was worth it. Riveting and scribing are fun, Anigrand resin quality less so. I've seen a few folks online start and then give up on this kit, perhaps if you're looking for an easy build this may not be the best option. Resin is remarkably easy to work with and I'm sure that some more Luft 46 weirdness will follow. As usual Alclad seems to work very well for me but perhaps should have micromeshed this beastie more thoroughly but TBH, I just wanted it done.,

Thanks for dropping by

Anil

• Like 5