Stripey Spitfire

Hi all,

Not very often I get to post two new builds in a week, but here goes...at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, Spitfire MJ772 has recently been restored and repainted in new livery, prior to its return to flight. I was recently asked to build a model of this particular airframe for Greg Davis, the chap who runs The Two Seat Spitfire Page on FaceBook, who has a growing collection of 1/72 Spitfire T9s. 

As per usual, the AZ Models kit was used in the absence of any other available kit, and just a few minor tweaks were made. The rear canopy bow is moulded way too thick on the kit part, scaling out at around a foot wide and several inches proud of the perspex, so I carved it off, sanded it down, polished it back to clarity, dipped it in Klear and then masked it to paint a much thinner bow. I think it was a small improvement worth making.

The invasion stripes were a pain to mask, taking over two hours for these alone, and the decals were a mixture of Xtradecal for the roundels and code letters and home printed for the serial numbers. The Cross of Lorraine on the cockpit side was assembled from a blue shield shape cut from a scrap Argentinian flag decal from an Airfix Canberra, and three smaller red strips which started life as a wing walk line on a Hasegawa Zero! Lining those up properly on a shield 3mm across was a challenge...😵

The paint used was Tamiya acrylics, and a panel line wash was added to the movable and removable bits only - engine cowlings, flaps, ailerons, elevators, trim tabs etc. I resisted doing a panel line wash all over as in such a small scale it just looks overdone. Final finish was done in Xtracrylix Flat Varnish, after which the canopies were unmasked, the wingtip lights were painted in, the whip aerial under the wing was added and the final touch was to add the propeller - something which always signals the end of the build for me. 

Special thanks go to CedB on here, for sending me his surplus prop decals - saved me a lot of hassle printing my own! Cheers, old boy.

You'll be glad to know that it survived the postal service journey to it's new owner, and he seems pleased with it, which is what it's all about really...

Here's a walk around:

stripey12_zpsiof2owhu.jpg

stripey2_zpsffkfohxa.jpg

stripey3_zpstvfjmlfn.jpg

stripey4_zpsv8nhstgu.jpg

stripey5_zpsifp2ne3q.jpg

stripey6_zpspucqnwul.jpg

stripey7_zpsybjhfl5r.jpg

stripey8_zps3ef0v10p.jpg

stripey9_zpsgc2qgdjh.jpg

stripey10_zpsdvez2a75.jpg

stripey11_zpsbw1yn4ng.jpg

And a couple of flyaround shots:

stripey14_zps8lknrofa.jpg

stripey15_zpsalgv0vma.jpg

Now, what's next...? 😉 

Dean

• Like 38

Very nice indeed. I see these wonderful machines most days over my home. We seem to be the turn around point for the Biggin trips here in West Kingsdown. They come to us, a few aerobatics and home for tea and medals!! Still have to stop and watch, one day perhaps................