Tamiya 1/24 Toyota TS050 LMP-1H in June

goon

Hi All,

Just seen a tweet from FIA WEC account with pics of a new 1/24 kit of the current Toyota LMP-1H prototype. Slated for release in June.

Edited by goon
Fixed link
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, fet_thunderdome said:

tamiya didn't get the rights for "WEC" "Total" and "24hr of le mans"

I'd like to know what licensing those would have done to the kit price... (assuming it was a decision by Tamiya based on the licence costs, rather than a simple denying of the licences to Tamiya) 

In case of the Merc GT3 it didn't bother me too much that it didn't come in an actual race livery, as chances are almost 100% that they wouldn't choose the one I want. For the TS050 it's completely different though. And quite disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Ka-Efka said:

I'd like to know what licensing those would have done to the kit price... (assuming it was a decision by Tamiya based on the licence costs, rather than a simple denying of the licences to Tamiya) 

In case of the Merc GT3 it didn't bother me too much that it didn't come in an actual race livery, as chances are almost 100% that they wouldn't choose the one I want. For the TS050 it's completely different though. And quite disappointing. 

onestly I can't tell, but I can tell you that the next re-repress of the 787b will not contain Dunlop and Cibiè sponsors. I am here wondering why other brands have no problems of licensing whatsoever and tamiya always have something missing (Michelin, Good Year, Cibiè, Dunlop, WEC and so on..)

The whole issue of licencing the logos seems utterly bizarre.  The companies sponsor the cars for exposure and promotion, models are surely a spin-off that increases that exposure.  How much of that do you cut off by wanting more money for the reproduction of the branding and rigorously squeezing every last ounce from your your IP?

Are Tamiya just very litigation-averse?  Are the other manufacturers and the aftermarket producers not worried about being pursued? I'd like to know because it's a bit of a conundrum.

The upshot is that it makes the models that are released a) very expensive and b) often inaccurate and needing more money spent on aftermarket decals.

52 minutes ago, Vicarage Vee said:

The upshot is that it makes the models that are released a) very expensive and b) often inaccurate and needing more money spent on aftermarket decals.

calling a tamiya model inaccurate is something I would not do. Expensive, yes but for a reason: the engineering behind a tamiya kit is fantascientific. The pieces fall togheter almost magnetically. Inaccurate nope. They are (at least for automotive) the best representations of the real counterparts, speaking of details out of the box and proportions. Never seen inaccuracies by their side, have you some examples?

We aren't talking about the plastic here: I quite agree on the quality of the Tamiya plastic.  They (Tamiya and any others) are inaccurate in that if they are built from the box and they do not contain a full complement of markings to depict how the car appeared at a particular race then they are inaccurate in that way.

Tamiya haven't historically been faultlessly accurate either.  An example of being inaccurate without the full markings would be any of the 1/20 F1 cars re-released without appropriate tobacco advertising: they aren't all accurate shape-wise for the German or British GPs.  The Lotus 78 is re-released with what are described as markings for Ronnie Peterson's British GP 78 used on the second day of practice, but it lacks the John Player decals and the kit isn't accurate for the 1978 spec car, Although they are now 'old' not all of the 1/20 series were 100% accurate, the Lotus 99T was only the very early season version and not the version used in German or the British Grand Prix for which markings are supplied.  For the 1/24 kits, albeit the older ones as the new ones are too expensive for me now, the Porsche 965 New Man Joest version has the wrong wheels.  Going back even further the 1/12 Lola T70 MkIII has the wrong engine for the race it is supposed to depict.

On 6/7/2019 at 12:08 AM, Vicarage Vee said:

An example of being inaccurate without the full markings would be any of the 1/20 F1 cars re-released without appropriate tobacco advertising: 

I think their hands are tied on this one. In Australia you can't even sell model cars with Tobacco advertising that were around in the 70s! It looks wrong but that's the rule. Probably the same elsewhere that has banned tobacco advertising.

On 06/06/2019 at 14:28, fet_thunderdome said:

calling a tamiya model inaccurate is something I would not do. Expensive, yes but for a reason: the engineering behind a tamiya kit is fantascientific. The pieces fall togheter almost magnetically. Inaccurate nope. They are (at least for automotive) the best representations of the real counterparts, speaking of details out of the box and proportions. Never seen inaccuracies by their side, have you some examples?

A bit OTT: Tamiya are not the paragon people make them out to be. Example? How about the missing rear brake cooling ducts on their 956 kits?