1/18 Bburago Bugatti Type 59

TGA

46 minutes ago, harveyb258 said:

I have to concede after seeing the last pic (great pic, btw)...it does look rather good when all together and well weathered. Crack on, Sir! :D

I was thinking of taking the easy route on this car with the bonnet but now that I've taken a better look at things (due to your comments) I have come to the conclusion that opening up the louvres is mandatory. It has to happen! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So I was mucking about and got absolutely nothing done this morning. All of a sudden I had a brainwave to fix the problems with the incredibly clunky look of the standard suspension. I bent a bit of rod into roughly the right shape, drilled some holes and did some filing. It's all a little rough but it'll work for now. 

IMG_20190218_092238

IMG_20190218_105612

IMG_20190218_125218

I also made the link arm that would normally connect the leaf springs to the friction shock absorber (I don't know what the correct technical term for this contraption ). 

IMG_20190218_173345

Despite it being quite rough I do feel like it is miles better than the huge jointed standard suspension:

IMG_20190218_180755

IMG_20190218_180801

To the keen observer: Yes, the front of the other model is hacked off. I have started to remove ALL the moulded on details. I plan to make the second car as accurate as I can get it. The light blue one is basically my testbed. 

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, TGA said:

Sorry to keep you occupied like this Harvey! 

Bugatti-Type-59-Grand-Prix+cockpit.jpg

This one also seems to have it. I *ahem* "spotted" both the cars a while back doing my research. I kind of like the way it breaks up the big chunks of blue. Let's make a deal: I'll keep them for now and see how it pans out when all the ancillaries are on. If you still hate it then I'll paint them blue :)

The more I look at this photo , the more I'm convinced that the light-coloured circles on the chassis are actually engine-turned aluminium rather than white .  Looks as if the chassis was drilled out to lighten it & then the holes blanked off with aluminium sheet , which seems to more or less cancel out the weight loss .

46 minutes ago, rs2man said:

The more I look at this photo , the more I'm convinced that the light-coloured circles on the chassis are actually engine-turned aluminium rather than white .  Looks as if the chassis was drilled out to lighten it & then the holes blanked off with aluminium sheet , which seems to more or less cancel out the weight loss .

Hello and thanks for your contribution! Actually as per the factory the frames had numerous holes that were blocked off, apparently this still saved some weight.... 

6d8cfffd2c4c43fef58402b3a5c7d3ef.jpg

How about this one? 

bugatti-type-59-10.jpg

Edited by TGA
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The project is not dead. Unfortunately I did have a death in the family which took priority over othee things. I am also feeling a little stuck and I'm not all too happy with the work I've done until now (in hindsight). So what do you do when you run low on motivation? Mock up some things to see how it looks! 

IMG_20190318_142738IMG_20190318_142629IMG_20190318_150656IMG_20190318_150702

• Like 1

Hi Tom. 

I'm sorry to read of your loss, mate. My thoughts are with you.

13 hours ago, TGA said:

also feeling a little stuck and I'm not all too happy with the work I've done until now

I think we all get that feeling from time to time. It's the modeller's curse!

• Like 1