1/18 Bburago Bugatti Type 59

TGA

Hello dear people of Britmodeller,

I have had to take a bit of a break from building anything due to work, moving house and just life getting in the way. I was recently trawling through my YouTube feed and I ran into a wonderful Matchbox makeover channel. This got me thinking, maybe I can do something similar with one of my old models. 

I have always loved Bugatti ever since I was little. There is just something about the lines and looks of their old models like the Type 35, Atlantic and the Type 59. 

I know there are great models out there of the Atlantic and the Type 35 but there are none of the Type 59 in a reasonable price class (the Amalgam Type 59 goes for over 10,000 euro). So I decided to upgrade my model a little bit, just a quick paint job and changing only a few minor details. We all know how that goes.....

So she starts of her life pretty much looking like this:

IMG_20190131_223228

Now this is not my original, it is my second backup car, ie. my son's car. 

I started off by stripping off the paint, because I was initially planning on painting it black like the Ralph Lauren car. 

IMG_20190122_160421IMG_20190124_105733

I also began changing around the exhaust a bit, as you can see. 

Now work didn't stop there. I deleted a number of moulded details which were meant to replicate cables running along the side of the car, some rivets that shouldn't have been there. I've also filled in holes and drilles brand new one in the rear "fender". The front grille has been modified, the front frame has been modified and the passenger seating area has a cover now. Things on the to do list: a complete overhaul of the wheels, suspension, interior and engine. A long way to go yet but I am very motivated. It's definitely not the best quality car build or the most complex but I do hope you can somewhat enjoy it. I sure am. 

Some changes in relation to spare car number 1:

IMG_20190130_135636IMG_20190130_180035

Ah yes, I have also replaced the hinges on the hood:

IMG_20190131_172807

And with backup car 2:

IMG_20190131_175008IMG_20190131_175033

That's all for now folks. Any tips, suggestions or pointers would be most welcome! 

• Like 9

12 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Nice work on the seat cover... is that styrene? 

Actually it is a recycled aluminium drink can! Cut it up and sanded down the coating. 

10 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

You're off to a great start. I'll be watching this one, if you don't mind, Sir.

Are you going to open up the louvres???

Cheers, H

Not nearly as nice as your project but arguably a lot quicker to build! I was thinking of opening up the louvres but they are microscopic and the cast is very thick. Any ideas on how to tackle that problem? 

1 hour ago, TGA said:

. Any ideas on how to tackle that problem? 

Oh yes.....if you have a Dremel or similar rotary tool, use the roughest sanding drum or equivalent and take all the thickness out of your bonnets. being zamac alloy cast, they're probably about a mill thick ( if I'm correct????)…. if not more, so you need to thin them to about 0,3 to ,5 mm . Don't worry, it's flippin' hard stuff, so it may take a while.... but keep at it. Once it's nice and thin, DON'T try to drill any start-holes for opening the louvres....you'll end up crying. Instead , use the back of a no11 blade and gently scribe away. (ALWAYS USE BACK OF BLADE, otherwise blood and tears will ensue:lol:). It's not a contest, so just take your time and "feel" the process (if that makes any sense). It might take up 90% of build time but the results will be well worth it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harveyb258 said:

they're probably about a mill thick ( if I'm correct????)…. if not more

Even more, you are quite correct sir. Luckily I have 2 sets of bonnets so I will definitely try this out. I'll be attempting some wire wheels for her too! 

46 minutes ago, sharknose156 said:

Absolutely enjoying this ! looking at how you are starting and solving some challenges, am sure it will be a great result.

Thanks, much appreciated! Tomorrow I might actually be able to do something again, I'm trying to cover the one remaining seat with some leather-like fabric. 

Well I didn't get much done today. I continued filling in some holes and I made an attempt at a leather seat. Let me know what you think! 

IMG_20190202_144652IMG_20190202_144625

The seat in question:

IMG_20190202_134732IMG_20190202_142204IMG_20190202_164626

A peek in the parts box:

IMG_20190202_144658

• Like 6

Your work and ideas so far are excellent. I fear the only thing that will let the model down is the clunky fittings of the suspension (like the tie rod)  but unless you do the very difficult scratchbuilding of small parts I see no way past that. A shame because your new wire wheels will be great.

Solution? Work in 1/8 scale ! :devil:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Codger said:

Your work and ideas so far are excellent. I fear the only thing that will let the model down is the clunky fittings of the suspension (like the tie rod)  but unless you do the very difficult scratchbuilding of small parts I see no way past that. A shame because your new wire wheels will be great.

Solution? Work in 1/8 scale ! :devil:

Hello again Codger, been a few years! Loved the way your Rolls turned out, she's an absolute beauty.

The suspension setup on this model is absolutely horrendous, it is unbelievably ugly. I will most definitely be correcting some of it, but I am severely limited by talent and skill. I have plenty of copper plate and aluminium cans laying arojnd to conjure up some leaf springs and I will also have to look at the steering rack as it is actually in completely the wrong place! Believe it or not, the wheels are so unbelievably complicated on the Type 59, I will probably only be able to make something that roughly resembles them. 

I'll be flying around Europe for the next 5 days before I'm home again. If anybody is around the Edinburgh area, I sincerely apologise for the roar of our 737. See you fine folks in a few days. 

• Thanks 1

So I am sitting here in my hotel room away from home, plotting and scheming about what to do with the suspension on the type 59. I have drawn up some rough ideas with a pen on some A4 paper. Especially the steering gearbox is going to be interesting as the stock steering on this Bburago is 100% incorrect. I may have "accidentally" ordered a CMC Type 35 for "research" purposes. Any input on the matter folks? 

2019-02-06_04-46-42

I have no idea how this kind of steering would work in real life. Nor do I have any idea how to fabricate the wheelhubs but I guess that is half the fun, right? 

• Like 1

Everything I tried today failed miserably. I might possibly the worst person to try soldering in the world. It is what it is unfortunately. I attempted to make a prototype for a wheel but even that didn't go according to plan (the rim was killed in a freak accident with a soldering iron).

IMG_20190208_142642

Valueable lessons have been learned and I think I know how to move forward from here. 

My CMC type 35 has arrived and the size difference with the Type 59 are staggering. I dare say Bburago may not have done the best job ever in terms of scale..... 

IMG_20190208_140114

The last thing I did is spray the body in primer to see where the main issues are in terms of finish and smoothness so I can correct this. 

IMG_20190208_180441IMG_20190208_180430

Some areas require a bit of a rethink. I think I might keep this body a bit closer to the standard Bburago and go completely nuts on my second Type 59 body. 

• Like 1

Alright I got a bit of work done today. My suspension improvement scheme has gone ahead using a material I can actually work with, plastic. 

I made some replacement leaf springs for the front today:

IMG_20190209_145837

The attachments to the frame are wrong on the model but I decided to use them on this first prototype. 

IMG_20190209_151715

Glued them in place, drilled a hole and glued a nail into the hole. Hopefully it will hold.... 

IMG_20190209_151723

Threw on a quick splash of paint to see whether or not the look semi decent. Not too bad but still needs a bit of work. 

IMG_20190209_153545

Might do a bit more later tonight! Thanks for checking in! 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2019 at 18:09, TGA said:

Everything I tried today failed miserably. I might possibly the worst person to try soldering in the world.

Nope: that's me. 

Seriously though, I find that soldering is hit and miss (mostly miss) but if I keep plugging I'll get there. I also try to solder some 'sacrificial' stuff til I get the right mix of iron end, amount of solder etc. My son also gave me some very nice (commercial grade) flux, which does seem to make a difference. The key elements seem to be cleanliness (de-grease and clean before soldering) and application of good flux.

Hope it helps - you are doing great work!

Thanks Sabre and thanks for the tips! I might try soldering with an open flame instead of the shitty soldering irons at some point on the next Type 59 (yes I intend on making the second one much better and much more accurate). Also I did some for of maths and I determined the scale of this model is completely off. Apparently the actual type 59 is around 3744mm long, this model is around 245mm long. That means it is closer to 1:15 than 1:18. Also, the Type 35 is actually longer than the Type 59(!) as you can see from my comparison with the CMC that is not the case!

Does anyone on here have any blueprints for either the Type 59 or the Type 35? Maybe it is time to go 1:8.....

Also, some leprechaun has been messing around with my model during the night:

IMG_20190210_095416

Edited by TGA
  • Like 1

You do some fine work and your paint finish is gorgeous, matey! Great job!!:thumbsup:

If I may give a bit of critique, though.. ( and this is the only one...and only my personal opinion, of course),....get rid of the white spots.....pleeease.. Keep them body colour then a mucky wash afterwards.....it'll look much better then. It just doesn't look right as it is, sorry.

Cheers, H

Hi Harvey, 

I am kind of going for this look:

bugatti-type-59-10.jpg

Only a little more weathered and raced in kind of look. I will 100% take your opinion into very serious consideration and I might change it completely. I'm not 100% convinced by the shade of blue myself yet.

Model number 2 is going to be all about making it look as good as I can get it, this one is basically a trial run to see what I can and cannot do with my limited skillset. Thanks for your support!! 

Sorry to keep you occupied like this Harvey! 

Bugatti-Type-59-Grand-Prix+cockpit.jpg

This one also seems to have it. I *ahem* "spotted" both the cars a while back doing my research. I kind of like the way it breaks up the big chunks of blue. Let's make a deal: I'll keep them for now and see how it pans out when all the ancillaries are on. If you still hate it then I'll paint them blue :)

• Like 1

So glad to have found this topic and you are doing a wonderful job on this one.   I've been doing a similar re-vamp of a Bburago Cobra but I hadn't thought anyone would be interested in this type of project.    Keep up the good work ... watching with great interest!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, albergman said:

So glad to have found this topic and you are doing a wonderful job on this one.   I've been doing a similar re-vamp of a Bburago Cobra but I hadn't thought anyone would be interested in this type of project.    Keep up the good work ... watching with great interest!

Do you have a thread going for that re-vamp Al? I actually really enjoy studying the model, finding the flaws and researching the way it should be. In all fairness, I should have taken off every single bit of moulded on detail because all of it is wrong or inaccurate. If anyone if interested I could do a rundown of all the areas that require attention. 

• Like 1