Matchbox Wellesley

Matchbox certainly chose some interesting and obscure subjects for their kits.  Nowadays we have become used to seeing short-run unusual aircraft kits, but in the late 1970s this was a bit of a gamble to to try and avoid overlap with the established major UK kit manufacturers.

wp099ee376_06.jpg

This one came from last year's Telford Kit Swap and although its decals were a little tired, it has been a very satisfying build of something that I knew very little about.

wpcd35fc04_06.jpg

As you would expect from Matchbox, it assembles with no real issues although you have to take a little care with the separate nose sections and the split cowl. It also has a rather fragile undercarriage (cue the marvelous Matchbox stand).

wp2a274117_06.jpg

Replacement vacform canopies are readily available (and the previous owner included a set of these), but I'm not sure they are actually needed so I used the kit set instead.

wp89db2393_06.jpg

I built up the space behind the pilot's seat with plastic card to reflect the frame and head rest, plus added some paper seatbelts. Two nicely moulded aircrew figures joined the spares box.

The tropical air filter is actually included on the sprue, but not listed on the instructions - I fitted it as an afterthought having seen it on reference pictures and as a result, it is a little lower than it should be. The wire aerial is stretched lycra thread.

wpa76a8f04_06.jpg

Hairy brush painted as always, using Humbrol enamels and top coated with Klear to apply the transfers, followed by a finishing coat of matt Windsor & Newton acrylic varnish.

FredT :)

• Like 38

3 hours ago, gengriz said:

obscure

Because they pictured mainly UK airplanes. 😉 I think UK have countless really obscure and thus very interesting airplanes. And this is by no means meant offensive, I rather love these airplanes. Just look at the wonderful exemplar above!