Junkers Ju 86Z-2 D-AFFT Cameras

Vesa Jussila

Hi All,

I hope I can build this subject this year. There are couple others before in pipeline and I have some questions related to topic. 

D-AFFT was quite special plane. It was operated by Hansa Luftbild and this was basically unit to get intel information outside Germany before war.

This plane crashed in Helsinki Malmi airport 1.10.1939 and crashed plane was returned quietly back to Germany.

My first question is: Was this plane carrying cameras and if so where those were located?

Second is: Should I use Revell kit as a starting point or Kora conversion set?

Scan is from Suomen ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti 2/1996

QMGeQv4.jpg

• 9 months later...

Terve Vesa,

I'm about to start this project myself and am looking for answers to some questions as well (cameras for example). Then I wonder where did SIL get the information about the colour RLM 63? It could have been some other light grey. I was surprised to see that the digitized official report about the crash is classified for 100 years! Possibly I can get a permission through university or Traficom; at least I will try. It might confirm the colour.

I'm going to use the old Italeri kit (bomber version). The nose is simple to modify and the windows shouldn't be a problem either. At the moment the biggest challenge seem to be suitable decals.

Cheers,

Antti

Hi Vesa,

I was also thinking of home made decals. If I can find suitable letters from some decal manufacturer, then I will use those.

Thanks for the tip, although I don't know Matti Salonen or how to contact him. Let's see what we can find out.

Cheers,

Antti