WW1 Male Tank Mk1

Hi Folks, this is my first attempt at an armoured fighting vehicle, my normal subjects are Second World War aircraft or modern jets so please be kind. After a visit to RAF Cosford I had  this idea to build a small diorama featuring a World War 1 tank and a British and German aircraft in a dog fight above. Well something I found out during this build is I am not very good at building biplanes and consequently the Sopwith Camel found itself flying straight into the bin of shame, and that's where the Fokker Eindecker will find itself if it doesn't start behaving!

Anyway here She is, or should I say He is. Built straight out of the box, I did not paint it in the recommended colour scheme as I just wanted something representative of the type and it is painted entirely with Tamiya Acrylics.

I have enjoyed the build and found the weathering process liberating, you have to be a little more restrained with aircraft. I have a feeling this will not be my last armoured fighting vehicle.

IMG-4420.jpg

IMG-4422.jpg

IMG-4423.jpg

IMG-4424.jpg

IMG-4425.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms are welcome.

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Very nice.

What did you use for the rust, it looks very effective?

I'd like to say it was skill on my part, in all honesty it was a happy accident. For the colour I mixed Tamiya orange with Revell rust till I got a shade I liked, moistened the area where I wanted the rust and then dabbled on a touch of paint and let it flow where I wanted rust, a little more water to blend it in. On the tracks I laid down a base colour of black and dark earth, built up a couple of layers of rust colour. When they were fitted the paint cracked when they were stretched, which to my eye looked quite natural. A bit more watered down rust colour where it was needed and then the raised parts of the track were highlighted in metallic grey. Hope that all makes sense.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Karlj72 said:

Could you not of hollowed out them 6-pdr's?

Good job though.

In hindsight I wish I had of done that, but my first AFV and I went at it like a bull at a gate 😊. Future projects I will invest in some better drill bits or some brass tube.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...