Hobby Boss 1/350 Voltaire

Fizgig

Here is my attempt at a build log of the Hobby Boss Voltaire.  Have had lots of probs trying to upload photos but have just finished my new Flickr account so let's have a go (please excuse my lack of photographic ability!)😨

20190105_094646-1_zps7ff65opq

Hooray!😀  Just a test piece of hull assembled, now more pics to hopefully bring me up to date with my build...

20190105_095217-1_zpsfm0efmd8

Hull reinforcements. ...

20190108_093859_zpspkx9d5xm

Hull strakes, sed painters masking tape and 4 coats of plastic primer...

20190108_094007_zpsyhdjyzzj

20190114_083703-1_zps2n2qqdi1

In the mean time blast bags using pva. .

20190114_083146-1_zpsf2fn0hjn

Worked to a degree but lacked the detail I wanted, good for smaller scales but think I'll go back to sculpting them in future.

20190122_233803

Bits in preparation for painting

2019-01-31_08-48-42

Oooooh, colour...

2019-01-31_08-50-15

Hull painted with Tamiya acrylics

2019-01-31_08-50-15

Oops!

2019-01-31_08-50-00

Deck painted and dry fitted

2019-01-31_08-48-07

Ready for post shading, oil washes and highlighting

2019-01-31_08-49-31

And finally some various oil washes using mixtures of burnt umber, raw Sienna, yellow ochre and white. This is just the first stage of weathering so will keep you posted as I go along.

Many thanks for looking!😊

• Like 5

Thanks Martian, will be an interesting exercise. 

Just to go off topic briefly, have recieved my new love I bought on a well known auction site!  Have had my eye on this as an interesting kit for some time and got it for a good price, it even includes the etch, wooden deck and research. The booklet in the kit includes a full history of the ship, but in Japanese son the previous owner found a full translation and included it!😀

Soya

Soya kit

Soya extras

Soya research

Looking forward to starting this little beauty!

• Like 3

Many thanks for your kind comments, Mark love the Churchill quote but have you heard this one?

Lady wossit "Sir, you are drunk!"

Churchill "And you madam are ugly, but in the morning I will be sober!" 😂

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since I posted any progress mainly because I have been perpetually  I'll!  However I've managed to rekindle my mojo so without further ado I present some naff pics....

Voltaire bits 2

Voltaire stacks

Voltaire bits

Voltaire masts

Wow, pics are worse than I thought, must try harder!

Thanks for looking

• Like 7

A bit more progress, more hull weathering but need to wait for them oils to dry before I get on. Finished the stacks for now and added a bit of rigging on the masts.  Slowly but steady....

On Going weathering

Weathering the hull

Masts done

That's all folks!

Thanks for looking, Andy

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Progress at last!😀 Am calling the hull basically done and as you can see I went completely insane with the weathering!  This build has been very much an experiment with weathering and totally out of my comfort zone of neat and tidy display models. I have experimented with filters, dot filtering, dry brushing, oils and pastels.  Have only used these techniques on afvs before and am very aware of the debate on only weather a ship in a diorama etc, but have also seen some fab weathered ships on display bases so I jumped into the deep end to see what happens. These are my excuses and am jolly well sticking to them!

Now some pics, bits only dry fitted for now...

Voltaire build

Voltaire build

Voltaire build

Voltaire build

Voltaire build

Voltaire build

Voltaire build

Voltaire build

Voltaire build

Thats it for now, thanks for looking!

• Like 4

Hello again, well she's coming together now!  Attached various little stairs and rails (which you can barely see) and the superstructure.   Working from the inner to outer will be attaching more stairs, rails and rigging. The light at the end of the tunnel is growing brighter!🙌

2019-03-13_09-42-41

2019-03-13_09-45-46

2019-03-13_09-45-22

2019-03-13_09-45-02

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Gidday Fizgig, She is coming along nicely. The weathering would suggest to me she has had a hard life or the crew have forgotten how to use paint brushes. Unfortunately this lot of photos are a little blurred which makes it hard to see your fine work. Previous photos are good, however. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Hi Jeff, yes, sorry about pics, used camera mode in Flickr on my tablet and hasn't worked out well so will use camera app next time! Technology, here to make life easier....too much input!

Gidday Fizgig, yeah technology is fine for those who know how to use it. The only tablets I have are those prescribed by a doctor. My phone is very simple, it is the same model Noah had on his ark. I only use it for phone calls and txt. For photos I use a camera, albeit a digital one - that's technology I have managed to adapt to.

Your ship is of an era I have never really got into, WWI and particularly WWII being my forte, but with all those heavy turrets she certainly has a look about her that says she will "take no cra nonsense" from anybody. And the weathering is very good I think. I haven't been game to try it. With my models being smaller (1/600 scale) I can probably get away with it but on larger models such as yours they would probably look a little too clean. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jeff, yes, pre dreadnought is a real.time new field for me, I like nosing about in historical stuff because am nosey😃but have done allsorts over time!