Any idea what this test vehicle is on F-101A 53-2438?

RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

My next project will be a Voodoo carrying this test gear. Is there anyone out there who knows what it is and has more information about it. I've searched the net without success so I am now hoping the wonderful resource that is BM can help ;). It is slung on a F-101A, operating out of Tyndall AFB in the early 1960s. As well as the vehicle itself any thoughts of the pylon apparatus woyld be of immense help. Thank you.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

Martin,

Maybe an AAM-N3 Sparrow II test body? That's about all I could find in  any of my F-101 references or internet searches. I did send your photo to one of my friends who flew F-101's to see if he knew anything about it. If I get any info, I will post it here.

Mike

• Like 2

An interesting subject. I tried all my usual web resources and came up with a blank, so I went to Robert F Dorr's 'McDonnell F-101 Voodoo' published by Osprey Air Combat 1987 which does contain a b&w photo captioned thus:

"A most unusual Voodoo. The 21st F-101A (54-1438) was used at Eglin AFB, Fla, in about 1955 to test a Mach 1.5 tow target for weapons firings at altitudes up to 65,000 ft (19,812m). A stepped diameter tow cable permitted reel-out to to a distance of 40,000 ft (12,192 m). This remarkable Voodoo was painted orange on its upper surfaces and natural metal on the lower side, with a black radome."

The photo is credited (USAF Armament Museum via Norman Taylor).

Michael

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Thanks Michael. While not the same aircraft in the caption it clearly is from the same test unit. I guess there were no photos of the target?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Wow! Thanks Michael. While not the same aircraft in the caption it clearly is from the same test unit. I guess there were no photos of the target?

Martin

Sadly no additional photos of the target. Looks like Robert F Dorr made a mistake on this one. He refers to the F-101A as the "21st F-101A" as 54-1438 however I checked on Joe Baugher's USAF serial web page and he lists all the F-101A Voodoos from 53-2418 and according to him the 21st F-101A produced was 53-2438 which matches the photo that you have posted. Would be interesting to have a definitive answer.

Michael

The information I have dug out is that F-101A-5-MC Voodoo/53-2428 was converted to JF-101A. originally based at Special Weapons Center, at Kirtland AFB, NM. 2/15/1963: Struck off charge at Edwards AFB, CA.

7 hours ago, belcherbits said:

40,000 feet of tow cable? I'm skeptical.

Yes, it seemed excessive! If true it must have been reeled out om spider thread! ;). Looking at the pylon and the small apparatus on it there is barely room for very much!

Edited by RidgeRunner

I would have expected the tow gear to be a Delmar pod, after all, they had plenty of them.  Unfortunately I can't make out too much in the photo.

23 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Type supersonic target drones into Google and you get lots of images. Looks a bit like an AQM 35 or 37 

Hmmm..... You are right, there some that look close. I still find anything that looks exactly the same but maybe itbwas just a test profile?

I'll take a stab at this and say that the aircraft is related to this:

6058027264_b61c87aacd_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/n747ge/6058027264/in/photostream/

Also Sven, @Old Viper Tester apparently did some digging into it as well a few years back here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/voodoo-puzzlement-t483643.html

So it may be worthwhile asking him about it.

Then there was this page which was pretty much asking the same thing: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1025291/pg1

Scroll down to the bottom and check the info/links listed in the comments section. Oh and beware the BS ads littering the place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whiskey said:

I'll take a stab at this and say that the aircraft is related to this:

6058027264_b61c87aacd_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/n747ge/6058027264/in/photostream/

Also Sven, @Old Viper Tester apparently did some digging into it as well a few years back here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/voodoo-puzzlement-t483643.html

So it may be worthwhile asking him about it.

Then there was this page which was pretty much asking the same thing: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1025291/pg1

Scroll down to the bottom and check the info/links listed in the comments section. Oh and beware the BS ads littering the place.

Hi Zach, 

The image you show is of the Voodoo in the GE test fleet, unrelated. My thanks for your thought, though.

Sven @Old Viper Tester was my first port of call many weeks ago but he drew a blank, sadly. 

Again, many thanks for your thoughts, though.

Martin

On 31 January 2019 at 10:02 PM, RidgeRunner said:

I reckon you are right and Robert Dorr simply got his maths wrong ;)

Martin

@Ghostbase @Giorgio N @whiskey @Red Dot @72modeler and others.

I got myself a copy of the Robert Dorr book, which arrived today. The caption says: "A most unusual Voodoo. The 21st F-101A (54-1438) was used at Eglin AFB, Fla. in about 1955 to test a Mach 1.5 tow target for weapons firing at altitudes up to 65,000ft (19,812m). A stepped diameter tow cable permitted reel out to a distance of 40,000ft (12,192m). This remarkable Voodoo was painted orange on itys upper surfaces and natural metal on the lower side, with a black radome"

There is clearly some maths wrong in there and also the ID of the aircraft, which was actually 53-2438. my target machine for my build! :). There is a great photo of her too, although it is little better at illustrating the tow system. 

NF-101A 53-2438-001

Any more ideas???? How about the odd handle-looking attachments to the front of the drone? Where would the winding gear have been? Inside the thick pylon?

All ideas and info really appreciated. I'm really excited to build her now!!! :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a suspicion that this was simply an aerodynamic test vehicle that was not reeled out. Maybe Robert Dorr's description was about the ultimate intent rather than reference to this exact set up. Not only is there no winch gear apparent there doesnt appear to be any recovery frame to bring such a device safely back on to the pylon. Or am I mistaken?

Martin

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Where wulod the winding gear have been? Inside the thick pylon?

The winch would have to have been reasonably powerful to winch 40,000' of cable, the target and the forces imposed travelling at high speed, and then there's the little matter of a drum to stow 40,000' of cable, I don't think there's room there for it in that pylon.

33 minutes ago, Wez said:

The winch would have to have been reasonably powerful to winch 40,000' of cable, the target and the forces imposed travelling at high speed, and then there's the little matter of a drum to stow 40,000' of cable, I don't think there's room there for it in that pylon.

Nor me, mate ;)