Missing parts Mosquito Airfix

Linus

Hello guys,

Just the day before yesterday,  received the Airfix 07112 DH Mosquito PRXVI kit in 1/48 from my seller. Open the box, the items are sealed, open also the bag, and I see that the printed with the wing, the new engines and the wing tanks, is missing. So with the car I go to the seller, who still has an equal kit to replace it, but we also open together that, and the same defect, even in the one missing the same parts!!! So I sent an email to Airfix explaining what happened, and asking them if they would kindly send me the missing parts! I wanted to know if any of you happened to me and if I did the right procedure. Confident of your response......

Cherrs Linus

• Like 1

Not with a Mosquito but a Harrier FRS2. A whole sprue frame missing. I could see it missing thru the clear bag. I photographed the sealed bag, both sides, then the frames which were in the bag. I sent the photos to Airfix. About 1 week later I received the missing frame.

• Mike changed the title to Missing parts Mosquito Airfix

I bought one about a year ago, and it had the same problem. I contacted Airfix and they sent me the needed sprue free of charge, all the way to Florida.

They cut down the sprue, so it fit into a smaller box.

Larry

Happened to me too back in October 2017 ....

Here's the email I sent to Airfix ...
Hi,
I've just opened this kit, purchased from my local model shop in Cheltenham yesterday, and on comparing the assembly instructions with the parts supplied, the following parts are missing ....

131 - upper wing

132 - upper wing 

133 - nacelle half

134 - nacelle half

135 - nacelle half 

136 - nacelle half

137 - nacelle top

138 - nacelle top

147 - drop tank half

148 - drop tank half

149 - drop tank half 

150 - drop tank half

This is rather a lot so I would suggest that at least one complete sprue is missing from the sealed poly bag. I did ask the shop if they could replace it but I had the last one!

Happy to say they sent the missing items free of charge.

Edited by Old Fogey
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Old Fogey said:

Happened to me too back in October 2017 ....

Here's the email I sent to Airfix ...
Hi,
I've just opened this kit, purchased from my local model shop in Cheltenham yesterday, and on comparing the assembly instructions with the parts supplied, the following parts are missing ....

131 - upper wing

132 - upper wing 

133 - nacelle half

134 - nacelle half

135 - nacelle half 

136 - nacelle half

137 - nacelle top

138 - nacelle top

147 - drop tank half

148 - drop tank half

149 - drop tank half 

150 - drop tank half

This is rather a lot so I would suggest that at least one complete sprue is missing from the sealed poly bag. I did ask the shop if they could replace it but I had the last one!

Happy to say they sent the missing items free of charge.

How could a kit with so many missing pieces not have been detected by Airfix's quality assurance team? I have their Spit I and P-40 in 1:48 (complete at first glance, but I'll check again when I get back home), and the comments of people buying new kits with missing pieces and kits with short shot parts put me off from buying more Airfix.

Edited by Sturmovik

Hi

My first problems started with a 1:24 typhoon, major parts missing, took it back to the shop, luckily got a replacement kit

then had a few kits with bad canopies, i got some replacement parts, but the last two i got no luck with replacement parts from airfix 

so i buy hardly any airfix now

now i have to open & parts check every kit when i buy it 

cheers

jerry

Yep, I had that problem with the exact same parts.  I contacted Airfix and, after an amusing mistake involving being sent some random spare parts for a 1/72 Hawk, the right parts arrived.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

just today I received the missing sprue (wings, engines and tanks), of my Mosquito PRXVI 1/48, really good guys of Airfix customer support. I'm really happy, THANK YOU AIRFIX!!! and all the guys in the forum who supported me, THANK YOU!!!

Linus

• Like 4

Do you guys have a contact email for Airfix?  

Purchased the 1/72 Harrier GR7/9 kit here in the US back in November and opened it to find the clear sprue missing.  Tried going through Hornby America, but have gotten no response. 

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 1

Success appears to depends on whether or not the kit is currently available from Airfix. I managed to misplace the canopy to their newish Beaufighter. The clear parts sprue is same for both editions of it but since neither is apparently in the current catalog, no joy. Fortunately earlier this week I actually discovered the “safe” place where I put the canopy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, kudos to Airfix for making good the deficiencies, but it remains the case that mistakes like these SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE!! My biggest peeve with the "new" Airfix is that their quality control seems to have gone AWL.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Yes, kudos to Airfix for making good the deficiencies, but it remains the case that mistakes like these SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE!! My biggest peeve with the "new" Airfix is that their quality control seems to have gone AWL.

That's why I checked three times if my two Airfix kits had all the sprues and pieces in the bags. 

3 hours ago, 757flyer said:

Do you guys have a contact email for Airfix?  

Purchased the 1/72 Harrier GR7/9 kit here in the US back in November and opened it to find the clear sprue missing.  Tried going through Hornby America, but have gotten no response. 

Thanks,

Mike

Dear 757flyer,

this is address mail where I write: [email protected]

I hope you can solve in a short time, crossing fingers.

All the best

Linus

Years ago I had the opposite problem. I bought a 1/48 Buccaneer kit from the LHS and when I picked it up it felt unusually heavy. It turned out upon opening the box that there was two complete kits inside! I still have it in the stash somewhere.

Carl

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FG2Si said:

Years ago I had the opposite problem. I bought a 1/48 Buccaneer kit from the LHS and when I picked it up it felt unusually heavy. It turned out upon opening the box that there was two complete kits inside! I still have it in the stash somewhere.

Carl

Yes, I think it's both a studied move, even two of my friends found 2 in a single box at the cost of the single.

Linus

23 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Success appears to depends on whether or not the kit is currently available from Airfix. I managed to misplace the canopy to their newish Beaufighter. The clear parts sprue is same for both editions of it but since neither is apparently in the current catalog, no joy. Fortunately earlier this week I actually discovered the “safe” place where I put the canopy

Yes, and sometimes Airfix spares support can do with a little help.  Gone are the days when they had an encyclopaedic knowledge of the range.  Nowadays I suspect, perhaps unfairly, that they just bang the kit reference into the computer and, if it shows as out of stock (OOS), you get a "sorry, can't help" e-mail.  So, it helps to give them the article numbers of other boxings that will have the same part in them.  I also had a problem with the new Beaufighter TF.X kit:  it was showing as OOS on their website so I pointed out that the same parts were also available in the Beaufighter/Fw190 Dogfight Double and the then soon to be issued Beaufighter TF.10 kit.  Shouldn't have to do it but, if it is helps get the right result, ….

I didn’t think about the dogfight doubles but I did use the sprue package reference (on the baggie containing the clear parts) as well as the kit numbers for both versions of the Beaufighter and was politely told it was not currently available.

Unfortunately, we often have a bad habit, that of buying a model and we put it in the room, and we also start years later when it is out of production, and then it may happen that they do not have the required parts available, better open and start immediately work if you buy a new kit or at least check if the parts are all there !!!

Linus

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to provide an update, I contacted Airfix around the 1st or 2nd of March, and within a day or two they had the replacement clear sprue in the mail.  Arrived today here in the U.S.  Have to be impressed with that level of customer service.  I had originally reached out to Hornby USA the first week of December, and after multiple messages (email and phone), I have yet to hear anything from them....  At least the Mothership is responsive to the customer.

Mike

• Thanks 1