Avro Cf100 Mk5 with tip tanks?

Robin-42

10 hours ago, Homebee said:

They were equipped with the tanks for the ferry flights across the Atlantic, but without the wing extensions, as previously explained.

Tony

9 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

The photo of the Belgium CF-100 Mk.5 shown in your link, doesn't sport the 250 Gal. tip tanks the OP is referring to.  What it does show is a target drogue that is considerably lighter than the tip tanks or the rocket pods.  Also of interest, it shows the two underwing hardpoints that mounted the chaff pods.  If a Mk.5 is photographed with the tip tanks fitted, it's without the 30" wing extensions fitted. The extensions themselves or the point where they joined the wing proper, weren't stressed for the kinds of load the tanks would need.

Scott

Other photo’s in the link do show them. I believe only for the ferry flight across the pond. Hopefully the pilots manual I ordrered will shed some more light on them, but I have a stong suspicion the “g” limit with them fitted and fuelled was ridicuously low. So they would have gotten airborne and used that fuel first. There is mention of them being tested in Larry Milberry’s book plus naked 5 wingtip photo’s appear to have the plumbing fitted same as the 4.

Finally got my pilot notes to open on my ipad. “Wing tip tanks may be fitted for long range ferrying, in place of the extended wing tips”. Tony is absolutly correct. I did not know the extended tips were that easy to remove.