Avro Cf100 Mk5 with tip tanks?

Robin-42

Any of you guys aware of any in-service photo’s of Mk5’s with tip tanks? I know the 5D’s could carry them, but that is with a Mk4 wing. I can’t seem to find anything but references that they were tested with them. Carriage would have course made it unarmed, but maybe for ferry use?

Edited by Robin-42

Pretty sure the Belgian Mk.5's carried tip tanks or rocket pods.  There are photos of both fits on the Modeldecal sheet instructions which show this.

I'll check when I get home unless somebody else chips in the meantime.

Hello Robin,

I have (somewhere) a copy of an American aviation magazine (can't remember the title) with a report with great photos about Canadian air force exercise held at Cold lake AB in the late 1970s. Several CF-100s appear in the photos in NMF/red paint scheme and with tip tanks.

I can try to find that article.

Cheers,

Antti

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Robin,

I have (somewhere) a copy of an American aviation magazine (can't remember the title) with a report with great photos about Canadian air force exercise held at Cold lake AB in the late 1970s. Several CF-100s appear in the photos in NMF/red paint scheme and with tip tanks.

I can try to find that article.

Cheers,

Antti

That sounds an awful lot like the 5D’s of 414 Sqn. The 5D had the either Mk4 wings fitted or the 5 extended tips removed, but kept the longer horizontal stab. I would have to look it up, but the long wing 5’s disappeared from service when the Voodoo’s showed up in the 60’s.  

Modeldecal 100 has a photo of a Belgian Mk.5 from 350 Sqn with tip tanks so the Mk5 wing was definitely capable of taking the tanks.

I have a question about CF-100's, many, many years ago, my old boss who had been a nav on Javelin's mentioned that the best way for a CF-100 to shoot anything down was to fly alongside it whence it would explode.  The implication was that the CF-100 was particularly prone to engine explosions - was that the case?

Modeldecal might have had it wrong, that is why I am hoping for a photo. The CF100 did have an issue under certain atmospheric conditions where the turbine blades would lengthen slightly contacting the ducting with predictable results, I forget the details. The Javelin had the same problem, the solution in the Javelins case wase to provide an “abrasive” surface on the ducting so the blade tips would be sanded downif they touched the ducting, keeping the engine running. Downside was a reduction in thrust until the engine was overhauled with new blades.

11 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

Modeldecal might have had it wrong, that is why I am hoping for a photo. The CF100 did have an issue under certain atmospheric conditions where the turbine blades would lengthen slightly contacting the ducting with predictable results, I forget the details. The Javelin had the same problem, the solution in the Javelins case wase to provide an “abrasive” surface on the ducting so the blade tips would be sanded downif they touched the ducting, keeping the engine running. Downside was a reduction in thrust until the engine was overhauled with new blades.

Thanks for the answer on the engines, it makes sense, must have been a continuous worry for the crews, I wonder if they put restrictions on how they used the aircraft/engines to prevent it happening.

The Modeldecal sheet has a photo of a Belgian jet with the wing tip tanks fitted, it is a small photo but they are definitely there.  Modeldecal sheets pretty much always included photos of the subject aircraft on the sheet.

Here are scans from the two Canadian books, titled CANADIAN MILITARY AIRCRAFT Finish and Markings 1968-2004 and ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE Aircraft Finish and Markings 1947-1968 showing photos of the Mk. 5 with wing tip tanks.

Scanned images were deleted as advised by a forum member.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Edited by Junchan
  • Like 1

Jun,  the Mk5s in your post are of the Mk5C or 5D variety

other than Mk5Cs or 5Ds, Canadian Mark 5s rarely, if ever, carried tip tanks.  I have only one pic of a standard Mk5 with tanks and it is a demo shot with all its armament on display(not an operational photo)

Belgian Mark 5s did carry tanks and there is lots of pics of them.

Tony

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Modeldecal 100 has a photo of a Belgian Mk.5 from 350 Sqn with tip tanks so the Mk5 wing was definitely capable of taking the tanks.

I have a question about CF-100's, many, many years ago, my old boss who had been a nav on Javelin's mentioned that the best way for a CF-100 to shoot anything down was to fly alongside it whence it would explode.  The implication was that the CF-100 was particularly prone to engine explosions - was that the case?

Sorry Wez, I mis-read your post, I finally found a pic of the Belgian CF100’s, confirming they could carry the tanks. I think they were only fitted for the ferry flights over. My theory is that they restricted “g” loading so much you might as well leave them at home. For combat obviously, they could not carry them, unless your combat involved ramming the other guys..... I am going to do an RCAF scheme, but have not seen a photo of an RCAF a/c with them. 

12 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

Sorry Wez, I mis-read your post, I finally found a pic of the Belgian CF100’s, confirming they could carry the tanks. I think they were only fitted for the ferry flights over. My theory is that they restricted “g” loading so much you might as well leave them at home. For combat obviously, they could not carry them, unless your combat involved ramming the other guys..... I am going to do an RCAF scheme, but have not seen a photo of an RCAF a/c with them. 

pics of Belgian CF-100s with tanks exist,but no pic of RCAF ones do.  The onl;y pic I have seen is page 178 of the Ron Page book, and it's a display pic(staged)

short story--no tanks on a RCAF Clunk

Edited by Tony Edmundson

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

This help? It's a scan of the long OOP Skylancer Decals instructions.

07298ce9-4ac5-4afc-bdcb-85aed90d3aa1.jpg

Incidentally:

resized_3a628504-8f89-4d8d-a5a7-c96fe7a0

Thanks for the info. Nice builds, the pretty and the not so pretty. Looks like rocket pods for mine, unless a photo turns up. I should really build my Scorpion to add something ugly to my cabinet!

2 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Looks like rocket pods for mine, unless a photo turns up.  

looks like no photo exists of a Mk5 with the extensions and tip tanks.  the Facebook group on the CF-100 has indicated that the extensions were not designed to accomodate the tanks.  No wonder photos are non-existant

Tony

Hello Robin,

take a look at this: Something you are looking for?

I haven't found my magazine😞 BUT; this aircraft looks very much like those I remember in that article: red wing tips, red title "Canada" on fuselage side and a white disc with squadron insignia in the nose.

I'm hoping to find a 1/48 scale kit of this beautiful cold war plane (I have the 1/72 scale already).

Cheers,

Antti

On 31/01/2019 at 16:32, Junchan said:

Scanned images were deleted as advised by a forum member.

This is a good thing, because the author has been in touch.  Please don't scan and post copyrighted material.

The CF-100 Mk.5 was rarely fitted with tip tanks, but it was possible.  However …  the 30" wing extensions needed to be removed first.  In essence, it now flew with the shorter Mk.4 wing.  The wing extensions couldn't handle the load of the tip tanks.  Antti_K posted a photo of a CF-100 Mk.5 as it appeared in the 60's flying with either the EW unit or later after it became 414 (EW) Sqn.  All the CF-100's at this time were either Mk.5C or Mk.5D and none featured the wing extensions that the Mk.5 flew with in it's ADC (Air Defence Command) days in the 50's.

Scott

• Like 1

The photo of the Belgium CF-100 Mk.5 shown in your link, doesn't sport the 250 Gal. tip tanks the OP is referring to.  What it does show is a target drogue that is considerably lighter than the tip tanks or the rocket pods.  Also of interest, it shows the two underwing hardpoints that mounted the chaff pods.  If a Mk.5 is photographed with the tip tanks fitted, it's without the 30" wing extensions fitted. The extensions themselves or the point where they joined the wing proper, weren't stressed for the kinds of load the tanks would need.

Scott

• Like 1