That's the Flying Piano season !! Kaman Seasprite

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great photo Cousin ! ... “Dr.Strangelove” is one of my all time favorite films. The last scene in the movie wear Slim Pickens rides the bomb is probably one of my favorites. If I had to go :boom:  :nuke:  in a Mushroom cloud,  I think that would probably be the best way to go ! 

Sure it is !!

I first saw the movie when I was a kid...I'm addict since that day... And I take care of the fluor in the water... I drink strong beers :rofl2::drink:

Now Dears, entering another session of "Turning this on that !! Men... I love that game...

Well, We are at seats...

IMG_20200202_211344

Black seat is the Matchbox ones...

I used the KH ones as templates, I think that I will add some sheep skins, It look like a little luxury appreciated by the helo pilots ??

I did'nt see any additional armor on the UH-2B AFAIK.

Sides of the seats are done

IMG_20200202_224944

Then adding some strenghtening rods and some riveting...

And on we are !! Did'nt we ??

Not sure that I will finish a flying piano this year, but I'll try !!

Now, the listing say that UH-2B have a minigun on the door, but I did'nt found any clues yet...

More to come soon !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 6

Hello Dears,

Hope that you're all fine !!

Here we go with the flying piano seats...

IMG_20200205_214324

There is surely a serious issue with me, since turning this Matchbox chunk of plastic into a modern kit will surely be a nightmare...

Then one wonder why I love strong beers...:rofl2::drunk:

More to come any sooner.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

HelThere is surely a serious issue with me, since turning this Matchbox chunk of plastic into a modern kit will surely be a nightmare...

Then one wonder why I love strong beers...:rofl2::drunk:

Actually CC, the Matchbox kit is not that bad. I built one of them a few years back as an early New Zealand cab and really enjoyed it. As for the the strong beers, you drink them because you come from the same stable as your Martian Overlord!

Cheers :drink:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

On 2/6/2020 at 11:34 AM, Martian Hale said:

Actually CC, the Matchbox kit is not that bad. I built one of them a few years back as an early New Zealand cab and really enjoyed it. As for the the strong beers, you drink them because you come from the same stable as your Martian Overlord!

Cheers :drink:

Martian 👽

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:34 AM, Martian Hale said:

Actually CC, the Matchbox kit is not that bad.

Martian 👽

I remember building one way back when, and being surprised at what wasn't in the box.  That said it looks right and is a good canvass for adding detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

I remember building one way back when, and being surprised at what wasn't in the box.  That said it looks right and is a good canvass for adding detail.

Hello James,

At last, I fear less to cut, sand, cut again on such a kit... Dimensions are quite right !

Now turning it into an UH-2 B is may be a bit silly, but still possible...

I modified the dog house of the SH-2F And now, I have to cope with a big hole on the cockpit roof... Wich is a glass in fact....

It will be funny too...

You know what ?? I'm crazy...:party:

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Aaaaaand here we go again. Great start on the Flying piano’s. Funnily enough I have added another two to my stash this very week. 😍 I’ll tag along if you don’t mind dear CC. 

Johnny. 

Here we go again... For another lunacy...

You added 2 matchbox SeaSprites ???? :tired:

Take a chair, a beer.. A cigar... Whatever you want !!

Welcome aboard !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I've been working on a UH-2B these last couple of weeks  and I wondered if you've been making any progress with yours.? I've probably skimped and cheated on a lot and it  was only while I was looking for some reference photos for the undercarriage, that I  came across this thread.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:25 PM, matti64 said:

I've been working on a UH-2B these last couple of weeks  and I wondered if you've been making any progress with yours.? I've probably skimped and cheated on a lot and it  was only while I was looking for some reference photos for the undercarriage, that I  came across this thread.

Hello Matti,

Sorry for my late reply but real life is really demanding, both on a work and family fronts...

I don't know how I managed to save a bit of sanity...

Well, I did'nt worked on my Seasprtites for a while since I've been engulfed in other threads...

What frozen me is the problem of the roof, I must create a new roof wich mean that the transparencies must be modified too...

So, that's my way to do, I put the kit aside until the penny dropped or seeing another BM'er idea...

I can look on my files for the undercarriage, did you looked in the walkaround section ?

I'll pay a visit on your thead !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Matti,

Sorry for my late reply but real life is really demanding, both on a work and family fronts...

I don't know how I managed to save a bit of sanity...

Well, I did'nt worked on my Seasprtites for a while since I've been engulfed in other threads...

What frozen me is the problem of the roof, I must create a new roof wich mean that the transparencies must be modified too...

So, that's my way to do, I put the kit aside until the penny dropped or seeing another BM'er idea...

I can look on my files for the undercarriage, did you looked in the walkaround section ?

I'll pay a visit on your thead !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks for your encouragement. I must admit that my references for much of what I@ve done so fare have been the old Aviation News drawings and  the £D rendered images for the Clearprop 1/72 kit! I have downloaded some  walkaround pictures and I@ll be using them from now regarding the relevant  detail for the undercarriage and exterior.

• Like 1

Well done with the F Doghouse chop and whatever you are doing to the Matchbox kit!

When I started ROTORcraft many years ago, the single engine doghouse was my first release. I've since fashioned a single engine doghouse for the 48th Matchbox kit, surprisingly it fits the KH kit. Just a pity KH decided to cut the top glazing short!

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Well done with the F Doghouse chop and whatever you are doing to the Matchbox kit!

When I started ROTORcraft many years ago, the single engine doghouse was my first release. I've since fashioned a single engine doghouse for the 48th Matchbox kit, surprisingly it fits the KH kit. Just a pity KH decided to cut the top glazing short!

Colin 

Wish I'd seen it, it would have saved a lot of   agony, and  doubtlless better than What I've been able fashion.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Colin 

Hello Colin !!

Are you telling me that a 1/48 single engine doghouse is available ???

Seriously ?? I'm tempted to say "take my money !!"

Is this still available ??

CC

32 minutes ago, matti64 said:

Wish I'd seen it, it would have saved a lot of   agony, and  doubtlless better than What I've been able fashion.

200% agreed !!

CC

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

CC,

Just now blundered into your WIP (So, that's where everybody went!) I have attached a link to a fellow's indexed list of where cutaway drawings can be found; the reason being that if you scroll down to the Kaman Seasprite, you can see which magazines had articles on it. IIRC, Air Enthusiast did an article on the USN gunship Seasprites along with color photos. I find this list very useful for modeling projects, especially as I have every issue of Air Enthusiast from the first to the last, and can quickly find the article I need. Hope this helps you and others!

I have yet to build a rotary-winged model, as the only one I recall was the old Revell 1/48 H-19 on pontoons that I ended up throwing against the wall, as for the life of me, I couldn't get the d--- rotor blades to stay on the hub...I think it was 1956-57, and I was nine! (Caught a rocket from my Dad for doing it, too!) I do have a 1/72  Airfix and  Fujimi Sea Lynx  that I was cross kitting and had put in a lot of the  stringers and stuff in the cockpit and interior several years ago, but put the project away, as I couldn't figure out how to do those screened intakes.

Mike

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/cutaway.htm

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

CC,

Just now blundered into your WIP (So, that's where everybody went!) I have attached a link to a fellow's indexed list of where cutaway drawings can be found; the reason being that if you scroll down to the Kaman Seasprite, you can see which magazines had articles on it. IIRC, Air Enthusiast did an article on the USN gunship Seasprites along with color photos. I find this list very useful for modeling projects, especially as I have every issue of Air Enthusiast from the first to the last, and can quickly find the article I need. Hope this helps you and others!

I have yet to build a rotary-winged model, as the only one I recall was the old Revell 1/48 H-19 on pontoons that I ended up throwing against the wall, as for the life of me, I couldn't get the d--- rotor blades to stay on the hub...I think it was 1956-57, and I was nine! (Caught a rocket from my Dad for doing it, too!) I do have a 1/72  Airfix and  Fujimi Sea Lynx  that I was cross kitting and had put in a lot of the  stringers and stuff in the cockpit and interior several years ago, but put the project away, as I couldn't figure out how to do those screened intakes.

Mike

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/cutaway.htm

Throw yourself into it Mike, I am by no means  much of a modeller, but I have found  that building helicopters in 1/48th  to be really satisfying.  The more detail you can add, the more you'll feel  like you are getting somewhere, Helicopters are nothing if not masses of texture and fine detail. For years I was accumulating Revell H-19's feeling like they were beyond me to  make any sort of  worthwhile progress, but with  the availability of  Phot etch for the Grilles,   silicone moulding rubbers and urethane resins for  copying parts (original and recasts) made me feel that the time was right to start ahving a go, and I was pleased with the results to the point of feeling confident to  push on. I think that I have the Air Enthusiast on  Seasprite and Seaking Gunships, if not I might have something in Wings of Fame  along similar lines.

DSC03632.jpg

https://postimg.cc/4mMZ5J3q  DSC03626.jpg

Edited by matti64
adding photos
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I'm not worthy! I really like both of your Whirlwinds, especially the one with the flotation bags. Are they both the Airfix kit? If so, very nice work, indeed! Maybe, one day...

Mike

No, both are the revell 1/48th (49th) kit. the   Antarctic one is  an attempt to recreate the  airfix 1/72 scale kit, but isn a more suitable scale. a kit I loved ever since I was bought home on my way from Nursery school, so I would have been about four or five years old, and it would have been  around 1969! Probably the first model kit I ever tried to build! the other is a Whirlwind HAS7 so has a lot of modifications, but all of them  cummulative and  minor in their own right. i find that helicopters are often greater (in effect) than the sum of their parts and every litle bit helps...

In relation to your earlier comment about the rotors, Whirlwind  (H-19/HO4S) rotor heads  and dampers REALLY are that chunky and basic. It is suprising how  much of an effort the revell kit  goes to meet you half way.

Edited by matti64
added text.
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:58 PM, corsaircorp said:

Sure it is !!

I first saw the movie when I was a kid...I'm addict since that day... And I take care of the fluor in the water... I drink strong beers :rofl2::drink:

Now Dears, entering another session of "Turning this on that !! Men... I love that game...

Well, We are at seats...

IMG_20200202_211344

Black seat is the Matchbox ones...

I used the KH ones as templates, I think that I will add some sheep skins, It look like a little luxury appreciated by the helo pilots ??

I did'nt see any additional armor on the UH-2B AFAIK.

Sides of the seats are done

IMG_20200202_224944

Then adding some strenghtening rods and some riveting...

And on we are !! Did'nt we ??

Not sure that I will finish a flying piano this year, but I'll try !!

Now, the listing say that UH-2B have a minigun on the door, but I did'nt found any clues yet...

More to come soon !!

Sincerely.

CC

They look superb, I am afraid I was lazy and cheated. After gluing on the PE seatbelts I made a mould from the Kitty Hawk ones and cast mine. I've taken a chance and  put the glaxing on around the cockpit , hoping that I@ll be able to reach and paint the seats afterwards. I took a chance on the lower seat  cushions not being sheepskin... Cabin seats are chunky ones left over from an Italeri H-34, but as your doing a gunship, I shouldnt think that will be a concern.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:01 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Colin !!

Are you telling me that a 1/48 single engine doghouse is available ???

Seriously ?? I'm tempted to say "take my money !!"

Is this still available ??

CC

200% agreed !!

CC

All I have is the master, I never went any further. I have a friend in Cape Town who could maybe cast a couple.

Colin

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...