DH Vampire FB.5 1/72 Xtrakit - IrritableRabbit's warm up

Hello and long time no see is what the people say in this case I think.  :D

It sort of went like this. A 30 year modelling break, then 13 builds posted here, then a further 3 year break due to lifeTM stuff.

But no fear, because some kind of luck was with me, as I recently suffered a mini-stroke which included, free of charge, temporary speech loss and paralysis. Even MORE luck was that I wasn't allowed to drive for a while so that killed off my self-employed photo work and it hasn't recovered yet. And then they found out I had a hole in my heart since birth which was the cause. Much fall out ensued!

This MEANS that I had some time to make some models again! *Insert cowboy style yelling and much cheering* :yahoo: AND.. It would be seen as good use of my time for rest and rehabilation. *Insert more cheering*

So, before I soon start back into the real world of work, I was trying to get a few kits done. This means they'll be a short period of spamming a few builds before disappearing again for a little while. I hate doing that so mucho apologies, but I'll do my best to have a good ole browse at everyone else's amazing work before life shifts again.

Here it is, my first warm-up, and crikey, I was a bit rusty. :wall:

It's the Xtrakit Vampire FB.5 (also MPM), with a pretty scheme pulled of the Xtradecal sheet, No. 112 Sqn, RAF Fassberg, Germany 1951. Out of the box, other than that scheme. 

I somehow managed to lose the counterweights from the rear control surfaces to the carpet monster, but I was just happy to be building and painting again so rolled my eyes and shrugged it off. 

Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

46206003654_6132a0dbb7_b.jpgVampireFB5_01 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

46206005464_b50e347868_b.jpgVampireFB5_02 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

46878469992_b03b5cd02b_b.jpgVampireFB5_03 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

33055228308_fc9e90dbb8_b.jpgVampireFB5_04 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

39966207413_87ea9d4c5d_b.jpgVampireFB5_06 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

46930674011_496c612a4e_b.jpgVampireFB5_08 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

39966208743_2d56e79247_b.jpgVampireFB5_07 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

• Like 54

Good to have you back,* Jonathan and gorgeous model, i too had a "stroke" related disappearance for six odd months: The human body eh?

Cheers

* And not just 'cos i wanna ask you load sof questions about softboxes and gamma correction...👿

• Like 1

Hello and thank you everyone for your warm welcome and most complimentary comments regarding my latest build. :thumbsup:

I do read all of your comments, they are all noted and appreciated even if I don't quote reply directly. I do have to do other stuff with my day, else I'll get into trouble. :poo::D

I am also spraying copious amounts of WD40 on my 'Rusty'just so I can make less mistakes and keep things tidy... Metaphorically speaking of course. 😁 And it benefits me as some of the little mistakes cost me days of extra build time putting right. 😧 (I'm looking at you Phantom FGR.2 - soon to be appearing on this channel).

As there were several comments about the nice colour scheme  (thx @Head in the clouds. @Kitchen Modeller @Vultures1 @Corsairfoxfouruncle ) I thought I'd add some comments. As a warm-up build I wanted something with a splash of colour and the Xtradecal sheet for the Vampire FB.3/5 is chock full of nice choices, and the shark mouth one was an obvious first choice. I may do another at some point as  well. Somehow the colour is good for the soul, or something. 😀
The green of tail and wingtips had to match the green lettering on the tail boom and by luck or design the Humbrol Gloss Emerald 2 was so close as to make no difference. I didn't see anything on the Xtradecal sheet that referred to this colour but the paint chip on the humbrol colour charts was an easy match. 

Thank you all for your time and attention. 😎

14 hours ago, Bedders said:

Very nice. What did you use for the silver?

Justin

The build appears to have been a bit of a Hannants Xtrakit/Decal/Color project (accidentally) 🤔. The main body colour was the Xtracolor X038 that purports to be the mythical RAF High Speed Silver. I'm not sure if this is actually the case, and I may put a bit of grey in it for future builds to see how it looks. @djos and @DennisTheBear kindly commented on the engine covers and that was a very late addition after pouring through a bunch of Vampire pics on the net. It wasn't obvious but after seeing it on only one pic I thought I'd add it anyway, by spraying a light coat of Tamiya x-32 Titanium silver over the HSS, followed by a bit of discolouration during the weathering stage.

13 hours ago, azureglo said:

Good to have you back,* Jonathan and gorgeous model, i too had a "stroke" related disappearance for six odd months: The human body eh?

Cheers

* And not just 'cos i wanna ask you load sof questions about softboxes and gamma correction...👿

Yes. The Human Body. Where is my dystopian cyberpunk future so I can have everything replaced with high tech mechanical parts? 😭 😁

I have been known to occasionally appear in the photography kit and techniques area, so I think we've got you covered. 😎

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Once, I would have said, yeeecchh, another silver aeroplane, but now, having seen the light, I look at this & think, oooh, I want one of them, especially if I can make it look as good as this one. :)

Steve.

Yes.. Become one of usssssss... I'm not sure what we are or what we call ourselves who make too many silver and natural metal finish builds, but definitely be like us. 😏

I did go have have a head count of my silver/nm builds and they do make up 60% of my current finished output. Maybe it's partially the era they come from appeals, and partially that there are so many metallic products out there compared to when I first started and I don't just have to slap Humbrol silver 11 on everything. 😂

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Your FB.5 and my F.3 in a week.

:goodjob:

Stuart

If I've being paying attention properly, yours may have been a flyer.. I may have to go and have another look. 🤔

• Like 4

Being a cat person this would get my vote no matter what the rest of the model was like, but it really is quite lovely.  Good photography would tend to highlight every tiny little fault, but there's nothing to fault there.  I didn't even notice the engine covers until I read the commets; successful subtlety which is hard to achieve.  Between this and your Phantom I'd say you have not lost your skills and I look forward to your future builds.

Good luck getting your work photography back up and running too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again everyone. 😎

On 2/5/2019 at 7:00 AM, Natter said:

Being a cat person this would get my vote no matter what the rest of the model was like, but it really is quite lovely.  Good photography would tend to highlight every tiny little fault, but there's nothing to fault there.  I didn't even notice the engine covers until I read the commets; successful subtlety which is hard to achieve.  Between this and your Phantom I'd say you have not lost your skills and I look forward to your future builds.

Good luck getting your work photography back up and running too.

*Looks for more cat markings to guarantee at least one positive on future builds.... Fails. 😑*

Indeed thank you. I've managed to get another build nearly ready but then things are going to slow down 😭. I've also put the photography on the back burner for a while so I can go work in a medical laboratory. It takes up less time than chasing clients which I just don't have the energy for ATM!! Bloomin people not wanting my photography and handing money over for it unless I go find them! 😄

Well Mr Rabbit, first up, sorry to hear about the health issues, hopefully this period of convalescence will sort you out. As for the build, beautiful Vampire and a cracking scheme, good tones on the fuselage. More builds please and some WIPs.

• Thanks 1