I don't need any more kits. I don't need any more kits. Who does the best 1/72 Tornado GR4

Harry_the_Spider

Don't need any more. Got no space. Got enough for 5 years of building. Got nowhere to put them when they are done.

So, now that I have got that off my chest... Who does the best 1/72 RAF Tornado GR4?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Consensus seems to be Revell GR1 with conversion kit (or scratchbuilt update parts, there aren't many) although some like the Hasegawa GR1 but it needs a new nose, reprofiled tail and also the GR4 update (although there was a GR4 update boxing or two with extra parts which seems to be at eye-watering prices if you ever come across one).  

I understand that Airfix also released a 'GR4' with updated parts but it is still based on their old MRCA prototype.

Edited by Vicarage Vee
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Don't need any more. Got no space. Got enough for 5 years of building. Got nowhere to put them when they are done.

You're wrong! One can never have enough kits! 

Build more shelves!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

So, now that I have got that off my chest... Who does the best 1/72 RAF Tornado GR4?

When I asked the same question before Christmas, Revell was the answer.  One duly arrived in Santa's sack 🙂  I'm in no position to judge how good or bad it is, given that, like you , there's a queue.  My queue is only 3 long, but could well be 5 years at the rate I seem to be going these days!

Al.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

1. revell with freightdog conversion

2. hasegawa

after that irs not worth considering, think only airfix actually did a gr4 and their kit is poor 

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Like as not , none of us NEED any more kits .  However , I'm sure we all WANT more kits & that's the important thing

6 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

You know, I think I can spot the point where SWMBO left the room.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

If you don't have enough space, did you never hang your Aircraft from the ceiling when you were a kid, I did, and it was great, like you, I'm almost at the stage where mine are about to start hanging from the ceiling again, I don't know what my Wife will have to say about me hanging planes, but I'll soon find out

You can make up some good Dog Fights....

22 minutes ago, Papa4ways said:

If you don't have enough space, did you never hang your Aircraft from the ceiling when you were a kid, I did, and it was great, like you, I'm almost at the stage where mine are about to start hanging from the ceiling again, I don't know what my Wife will have to say about me hanging planes, but I'll soon find out

You can make up some good Dog Fights....

and move house to a good old fashioned Victorian or Georgian terrace or similar.  persuade SWMBO about character, good investment etc etc.

Actually the ceilings are all way high so you can hang models in 3 dimensions and get a lot more up there unlike a low ceilinged bungalow.   Drove my folks nuts when I was a kid, Mustangs on top cover for the B-17 and Lib with 109s and FW190 diving in; Battle of Britain in the other corner 109s top cover, Ju87s diving and Hurricanes catching them  - you get the idea

apologies for thread drift there.  I think I'd go Revell and conversion as others have said  

• Like 1

There are loads hanging from the ceiling in my lad's room, plus a dozen on his shelves. Two crates full of built kits under the bed and three of unbuilt ones on top of wardrobes.

My desk at work has a Spitfire, Phantom and Tomcat on it. The filing cabinet has a Hunter.

After mulling it over I don't need a GR4.

...but I do want an F3.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:07 AM, Harry_the_Spider said:

You don't have too many kits, you have too small a home. :P

I used the Freightdog set with the Revell kit to build my GR.4. I also used the Flightpath update set to correct the nose profile of the revell kit. The FP set is meant for the Hasegawa kit, but the resin nose and many of the other bits fit the Revell kit quite nicely.

• Like 1