Canova all-wing, Scratch-built 1/72, Italy, 1935

A build from 11 years ago:

We are talking arcane here.

Like a strange moth, or flying ravioli, or piloted manta-ray, or perhaps a motorized cookie, the Canova flying wing glides across the sky. Or does it?

Little can be found on this one. A “Flight” magazine article states that Mr. Canova’s all-wing design has been tested in wind tunnels at Milan and Rome and that no less than 5 scales models were built. This model is based on the project figures given in the article. At least one full scale machine was built.

Nihil novum sub sole, as they say. When we see the “new” designs that populate the skies nowadays, it is interesting to compare and see how really new they are. Time and time again, neglected, laughed-at strange concepts of earlier periods are re-hashed and re-presented as cutting edge. Makes you wonder about the things that are laughed-at today and will be state-of-the-art tomorrow.

Minute cute little model in 1/72, not really complicated to scratch, guaranteed to raise many an eyebrow.

Styrene sheets of diverse thicknesses were used and Aeroclub Models wheels, engine and prop completed the model.

A disfruttare!

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1935/1935 - 0956.html

01.jpg

06.jpg

02.jpg

07.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 24

Great little model - looks like a fortune cookie to me! Interesting to look at the Flight magazine from back then. I guess you find endless material for your collection. At least this one does look like it could fly!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Very nice. I think it can fly. It is possible at least. The thing in the picture above ... maybe not.

Thank you very much Moa for your posting countless totally unknown (to most people plus me) flying or not flying machines. I enjoy them a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Duckwizard said:

Very nice. I think it can fly. It is possible at least. The thing in the picture above ... maybe not.

Thank you very much Moa for your posting countless totally unknown (to most people plus me) flying or not flying machines. I enjoy them a lot.

Thanks Michael, always a pleasure to share and have fun.

Regarding the non-flying thing above...it DID fly!

wingless-15.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1