opinion pls 1:32 revell or italeri mirage III

brewerjerry

My understanding is that the new Revell offering is just the Italeri kit reboxed by Revell but on sale at a much lower price. 

On on the other hand the old Revell boxing  of their own tooling still seen on auction sites etc is a product of the 1970s with all that implies and is to be avoided. It was not a bad kit back in the day but now well surpassed by the modern Italeri/Revell reboxed tooling. Oddly folks still seem to ask silly prices for ithe ancient Revell kit on well known auction sites. I have two that won’t see the light of day now the Revell/Italeri one is available. 

A quick check on Scalemates should give a detailed history of both toolings. 

The (very) old Revell kit is basically accurate in outline. The best advice I read for it on an Australian website was to treat it as a vac-form (i.e. basic outline only) then either scratchbuild the details or obtain them as aftermarket components after re-scribing it.

If you look  here at what Meindert did with the old kit, you'll see that it is not past redemption.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnT said:

My understanding is that the new Revell offering is just the Italeri kit reboxed by Revell but on sale at a much lower price. 

On on the other hand the old Revell boxing  of their own tooling still seen on auction sites etc is a product of the 1970s with all that implies and is to be avoided. It was not a bad kit back in the day but now well surpassed by the modern Italeri/Revell reboxed tooling. Oddly folks still seem to ask silly prices for ithe ancient Revell kit on well known auction sites. I have two that won’t see the light of day now the Revell/Italeri one is available. 

A quick check on Scalemates should give a detailed history of both toolings. 

Hi

Thanks i did mean the new revell one but i forgot to mention that.

i also forgot scalemates so will check later, but it might explain the price of the revell kit if it is the italeri one

cheers

jerry 

Apart from the different decals, the Revell kit doesn't have the etched brass either.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1