1/144 RG ZGMF-X20A STRIKE FREEDOM GUNDAM

I haven't built a Gundam in what seems like ages so I thought I would have a go at the very bling RG Strike Freedom. This is my 3rd RG kit and they always amaze me with the detail and engineering that goes into them. I started this on of with building the gold frame because it must be painted a better gold. So as a start I have brushed on some of the AK wax stuff onto the three gold runners (with no priming) to see who it looks and sticks. The hope is it works and will give a nice pale gold that I can brush onto the frame and not stick together all the moving parts. If the AK wax doesn't work I will try the GW gold paint. 

I have a few projects on the go at the moment so not sure how long this is going to take to build. 

IMG-20190129-211519.jpg
IMG-20190129-211117.jpg
IMG-20190129-210748.jpg

• Like 4

Going for a full on bling build, So the white is going to get a blue pearl effect top coat over white and I have just ordered a bottle Greenstuff Chameleon DARTH BLUE for the dark areas, some new paint to try out.  The  AK gold wax paint seems to have worked out OK so I will get that plasted on over the next few days. Only do this to put the masking some 50`s go faster stripes on resin kit Im building....yuk... 

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Cool! Love the freedom gundam design, will follow with interest Brian :)

Cheers is should be fun.. 

A few WIP pics of the paint going on the frame. Starting to look 😎, just the first coat using a hairy stick... 

IMG-20190130-215037.jpg
IMG-20190130-215017.jpg
IMG-20190130-214956.jpg

• Like 3

Painted the grey parts, gloss black on few parts ready for the chameleon paint to arrive. I have some red pearlescent paint that I added a bit of green purple chameleon pigment powder to and sprayed onto the white parts, did the on the runners as most the nub marks are not visible once the kits built.

IMG-20190201-071121.jpg
IMG-20190201-071058.jpg
IMG-20190201-070938.jpg

32 minutes ago, Carts said:

Looking good,I wouldn't know where to even begin on these models:)

Then you should get one and have some fun.... 😁

• Like 4

On 2/1/2019 at 7:02 PM, Hunter Rose said:

1/60 Brocken labor 

They are very nice kits and a great design mecha. 

Added some of the whit pearl armour to see how it's looks next to the gold, I think I will give it another coat of peal and a picture of the paint and powder I'm using for reference. 

IMG-20190202-093148.jpg
IMG-20190201-203426.jpg

• Like 1

Without the chameleon paint I'm just about as far along as I can with the building, so adding what decals and pannel lining I can do. I have also painted the inner armour on the waist parts a bit like you would if this was a MG kit. 

IMG-20190203-231923.jpg
IMG-20190203-231902.jpg

• Like 2

Looking awesome, in that colour scheme there are shades of the Astray. The gold is suitably bling, is it a robust finish?

On 2/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, Carts said:

Looking good,I wouldn't know where to even begin on these models:)

The instructions are very good and in the newest releases have English translations. If I can manage it (I'm scared of complexity) then anyone can :) 

In some ways it's better to go for the RG (Real Grade) kits as while they have a lot more parts than the slightly cheaper HGs, they fit amazingly well and generally have zero seams to deal with. The extra detail is the icing on the cake.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Looking awesome, in that colour scheme there are shades of the Astray. The gold is suitably bling, is it a robust finish?

Cheers Will, once the backpack goes on it changes to look dramatically. As for the gold finish it not great and can rub off easily, but as i didnt prime it and haven't  top coated it I'm not surprised. I will be going over all the white and gold parts with a light coat of the pearl mix again once all the decals and lining is dose, so that might help keep the gold from rubbing off.

Cheers Brian.

So I'm was very annoyed as I only gone and lost a part of the strike wings parts, one of the thin dark blue wing tips. After a cup of tea and a think I thought what hell I will make a new one. Its not the same so now it's a modification... So either 2 or 4 of the wing parts will have these extra long wing tips. 

I have also panel lined in very light grey all the white parts,put the decals on and given it all a a pearl coat. 

IMG-20190207-215319.jpg
IMG-20190207-215020.jpg
IMG-20190207-213507.jpg
IMG-20190207-213426.jpg