Mr Hobby Hobby Colour - too thin

alhenderson

3 hours ago, alhenderson said:

@Rob G  is that using a sledgehammer to crack a nut? 

I note there are 3 different types - TS, AS and PS.

The Tamiya sprays will be fine for the smaller bits, but I'd be doing them first, then closing up the wells with the gear covers and masking the other white bits so that you can blast on whatever other colours you need. You'd most likely be doing the same if you used an airbrush anyway, so no loss there. Careful use of the trigger finger can give a bit of control, and as I suggested above, practice first.

The PS range IS NOT what you want - they're polycarbonate paints, for use on R/C car bodies. Oil and fuel-proof and designed to stick to the flexible plastic. Use the TS and AS ranges- they're all acrylic lacquers for polystyrene kits, the different groups are just for convenience - TS is the car/bike/general military colour range, AS is for aircraft colours. They're colour matched to the complementary Tamiya acrylic bottle (where there's a match), but sadly, not number matched, so it can take a bit of effort to sort them out; there are lists online to aid with this. (I hope that that last bit makes sense!)

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/tamiya_spray/kit85004.htm

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/airmodel_spray/kit86501.htm

If you make a complete mess of it, the paints will wash off with metho or isopropyl alcohol (as do Tamiya and Gunze acrylics), neither of which will harm the plastic. As with most paint, some colours resist stripping more than others (red is notoriously difficult, I find) so the sooner you can get to it the better.

HTH

Rob.

• Like 1

Easiest way to a nice gloss white finish is Tamiya TS rattle can. Use a primer, grey first to show any flaws, then once the finish is perfect I usually use a couple of light coats of white primer followed by overnight drying, some wet flatting of the primer with 1500 grade paper, then a few coats of the TS white gloss, light coats and one or two wetter coats to finish. Leave overnight and polish to a nice finish...

• Like 1