1:72 Aki Products Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Another question for @NAVY870 - should I add a whip aerial to my model? I've seen many photos of Sea Furies that show a whip aerial either on the spine right behind the cockpit or on top of the tail. But I don't see any in the photo in the previous post. Easy to add, but I'm not sure if I should do it or not.

The one on the spine is for the ARI 5679 which wasn't fitted to RAN aircraft.

You will need a whip on the fin and another under the starboard wing for the ARI 5491 (VHF) and another one behind the port gear well for the ARI 5307 (ZBX)

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Gawd, I love the lines of this baby. The Sea Fury has to be the ultimate generation of radial engine fighters.   :)

Not the description I'd use

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Looking absolutely fabulous Bill, not that it was ever not going to be! Love that final sheen, so much nicer than a dull matt finish. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a snoop round the sea fury at Duxford Sunday, it’s all in bit and in done to it’s bare finish, so many spares around it! At least 4 Engine’s. I took as many pic’s as I could but of course had to stay behind the rope. I’ll have to get them on the forum.

Rob 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Not the description I'd use

Now I didn't say it was easy to work with, just that I like her lines! Not unlike some women I've met...     :)

I have photos that show the aerial on top of the vertical fin, and the one behind the port wheel well. I can't fins any that show one under the starboard wing - whereabouts should it go? Straight down or angled back like the others? Let me know when I reach your over-annoyance threshold...

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Love that final sheen

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

I love that sheen on the girl

I love the sheen too - which explains why I paid $16.00 on eBay for a 2 oz. bottle of Floquil Flat...    :mental:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I have photos that show the aerial on top of the vertical fin, and the one behind the port wheel well. I can't fins any that show one under the starboard wing - whereabouts should it go? Straight down or angled back like the others? Let me know when I reach your over-annoyance threshold...

RIeo1AH.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Paul Bradley and @NAVY870 - I'm about to add the open engine panels, and I can see at the end of Paul's book (two artist's renditions of the open panels; these are perhaps from the pilot's manual or something like that) that all four panels have a thin brace or strut that holds them open. The braces for the top panels are curved, those on the bottom panels are straight. The question concerns the attachment points for these braces. I can see from these drawings where the braces attach to the panels, but on the other end it looks like they attach to the engine somehow - exhaust tubes perhaps. Very difficult to see in the drawings. Any advice for me? Thanks in advance!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hello Bill - I found this old not great quality photo and the lower wire seems to hook onto a bracket on the cylinder  head - not sure where the top curved strut attaches - maybe Navy870 can clarify?

IMG-8725.jpgIMG-8724.jpg

CJP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top panel has a pole that sits on a bracket on the rear cylinders at the 10 & 2 o'clock positions

o6pGDH7.jpg

Bottom panels are held by a cable that is bolted to the aft pots at the 8 & 4 o'clock positions

kEnM7xk.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So, there I was, thinking that I knew what to do - because I had this here picture:

39450664745_705401602d_b

These be those lights under the starboard wing. I took careful note of the shape of the window opening, and that the red light was clearly positioned where it was most round, and the green light where it tapers. The clear parts from Aki duplicate this shape precisely, so easy peasy right? Lights painted and installed.

This positions the green light forward, and the red light aft. But then I found this photo where the reverse seems to be true:

40856290701_61888b1b4c_o

The green light is aft, and the red light forward.

One of these two restored warbirds is wrong, I suspect, and I hope it's the second one. Otherwise, I'll never be able to show the underside of my Sea Fury in public. Ouch.

Cheers,

Bill

Looking closely at my photos, I found evidence that confirms the placement of the aerials on WH589.

aerials

Right where Steve @NAVY870 said they would be! Accordingly, I added these to the model and finished her up. Here she is:

IMG_2949

The full RFI is here. Thanks everyone for coming along on the ride, I really appreciated all the help.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

If my current Airfix 1/48 kit tuns out half as good, I'll be such a happy camper! A WIP to bookmark, that's for sure. Thanks also to the many contributors who have added their comments and suggestions here and there as these are beneficial to all of us. 

Cheers and and very well modelled.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

That is so beautiful, I am almost speechless! (Please note that I said almost.)

Martian the Almost Speechless 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My God, it's incredible!

Can you com down to DC and walk me through a 72nd airplane build step by step? Apparently I need hand holding, because I just don't know how else.to achieve the clean and crisp results you have. :D

• Thanks 1

Well, that was a great WiP Bill, as usual, and I'm sorry I missed it…

But at least I got all the tips, humour and amazing building right at the end.

Wonderful, again :) 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks also to the many contributors who have added their comments and suggestions here and there as these are beneficial to all of us.

That is one of the main reasons I love this site!

16 hours ago, giemme said:

That thing looks ready to fly!! :pilot: Impressive job! :clap: :clap:

Thanks. I hope the pilot gets in and closes the engine panels before releasing the brakes!

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That is so beautiful, I am almost speechless! (Please note that I said almost.)

Thanks! You are many things, dear tentacled one, but speechless is definitely not one of them! Looking forward to the visit in November.

13 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Can you com down to DC and walk me through a 72nd airplane build step by step? Apparently I need hand holding, because I just don't know how else.to achieve the clean and crisp results you have. :D

Of course. I will have my amanuensis forward my schedule of fees.   :)

Seriously, my son lives between Baltimore and DC, plus my best buddy lives in DC, so I am in that area often. Getting together for an impromptu airbrushing session over a pint of bitter at the local pub is always a possibility.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Well, that was a great WiP Bill, as usual, and I'm sorry I missed it…

But at least I got all the tips, humour and amazing building right at the end.

Thanks, Ced. You are excused for missing the bulk of the course, as you were curtailed by an ill-fitting Nimrod canopy. I have experienced similar trauma, and it is dastardly.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Of course. I will have my amanuensis forward my schedule of fees.   :)

Seriously, my son lives between Baltimore and DC, plus my best buddy lives in DC, so I am in that area often. Getting together for an impromptu airbrushing session over a pint of bitter at the local pub is always a possibility.

I'll never say no to a pint of bitter. Shoot me a PM if you ever have the time and are around

• Like 1

• 1 year later...