1:72 Aki Products Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

Hello mates,

Another side project to build along with the big Spitfire! I think it's time for another resin kit, which I'm really growing quite fond of, and what better choice than a Sea Fury? Probably the most beautiful propeller driven fighter aircraft ever made, if you ask me (which no one ever does). I know that @NAVY870 wasn't particularly fond of working on these beasties, but hopefully he'll stop by and make sure I do this properly.   :)

So, right, the kit - it's a resin model in God's scale from the Japanese company Aki Products. I ordered directly from the maker in Japan, and let's just say that it wasn't inexpensive. I think the money was well spent, as the resin casting is beautiful. Aki didn't spend much money on the box, though, as the following photo demonstrates. This is the way the box looked when I received it, and it didn't get this way from surviving a few tornado-driven roof blow-offs up in my loft.

IMG_2842

I love the legend on the end of the box - handmade indeed, I have no doubt about that.

IMG_2843

I was quite surprised to see that Aki did not use the typical resin casting pour blocks, but instead actually made resin "sprues" that contain the parts. This is quite clever, and I wish all resin kits were like this.

IMG_2845

Did you see there's a full engine? I hope I don't have to detail it like the big Merlin engine I just finished! Here are the fuselage halves and the tyres (by the way, I hate vinyl tyres so I might replace these):

IMG_2846

The interior of the wings have an incredible amount of detail, not only for the wheel wells but also the cannon bays and flaps (note that are also alignment pegs and holes, not often seen in resin kits. The fuselage halves feature these as well.

IMG_2847

The outer wing surfaces:

IMG_2848

Now, look really close and you'll see something you don't normally find in any kit, let alone 1:72. The flaps are moveable, with the metal hinge rod actually cast in place. Wow, it looks delicate so I better not play with it much. Sounds like something my mum would say.

IMG_2849

And on top of all that resin-y goodness, you also get to learn another language - if you want to follow the instructions anyway. Hmm, Hauker - must be a phonetic spelling.

IMG_2844

The kit stickers offer FAA and Iraqi schemes, typical of Sea Fury kits:

IMG_2850

However, I'll be choosing a scheme from Xtradecal sheet 72074. Which will it be?

IMG_2852

IMG_2851

A couple of these jump out at me - first, the RCN scheme of Dark Grey 1-9 over Light Grey 1-13. But what are those colours? First I've ever heard of them. Second, the overall Oxford Blue RAN scheme. Nice and simple, yet elegant - plus, it's got roos in the roundels! Ah, decisions, decisions. I'll worry about that later.

So that's my new side project. I hope I don't screw it up, since I blew up my retirement portfolio to acquire it.   :banghead:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 35

I saw one at SMW quite a few years ago, but my finances were not up to it. It is a lovely looking kit and best of luck. Can  join, I promise I will sit at the back and be quiet.

• Like 1

It is THE BEST 1/72 Sea Fury by a long chalk! Built one a few years ago for the book - lovely kit! 

Just remember to thoroughly wash the parts before assembly, otherwise the model might fall apart on you - ask me how I know....! The only thing I added was the cowling props. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Cool! :Tasty: And a first row seat! :popcorn:

And drooling already. Only the most cultured are admitted to my builds.   :)

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Oh my god, an Aki Sea Fury! Do they still have any on their site?

I bought this a couple of years ago, but I did a little digging for you. It turns out that I remembered correctly buying it from Japan, but incorrectly from whom. It wasn't from Aki but rather from Model Factory Hiro. Alas, it is no longer on their website. I checked some other Japanese shops but couldn't find it.

So I went back through my emails and found the order thread. At the time (2016), the kit was listed on Hiro's site as "discontinued" but to inquire for availability. I sent them an email and got a response that they would would see if Aki had any or could still produce it. Hiro found one somewhere or somehow, and offered it to me for $100 plus $25 for shipping. Based on the condition of the box, I suspect it wasn't new inventory. So there may still be some lounging around somewhere, but methinks it will be a tedious search.

I think the reason why I thought I bought it from the maker is because the emails from Model Factory Hiro were signed "Hiroshi" who I suspect is the owner.

52 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Taking a seat :popcorn: ... The R.A.N. Oxford blue looks to be a very nice choice, i hope you opt that route. 

I'm leaning that way myself. No, wait, I'm leaning because I'm old and my spine is shot.

48 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

I have seen one build some time ago and i must admit that this one of the finest Sea Fury kits available in the world...

Thanks. That seems to be the consensus of the online reviews - I hope I can do it justice!

39 minutes ago, Massimo said:

May I join the party?

That's a hell of a kit!!!

I'll be watching closely!!!

Thanks - everyone is welcome! But don't watch too closely because you might catch a boo-boo, and that would hurt my rep.    :)

33 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I saw one at SMW quite a few years ago, but my finances were not up to it. It is a lovely looking kit and best of luck. Can  join, I promise I will sit at the back and be quiet.

Mr. T is going to sit quietly in the back? Not in any episode I ever watched!    :)

32 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Very nice, Bill! I look forward to seeing your craftmanship on this beauty! I vote for the Australian bird.

Thanks, Jason. Another vote for the roo - all I need is @NAVY870 to stop by and that will convince me. I don't think I have any Oxford Blue paint though...

Cheers,

Bill (who is just about to put the exhaust pipes on the big Merlin)

• Like 8

I've always been interested in this AKI Sea Fury kit so will join the long list of followers of your build - you'll have quite an audience - I seem to remember that AKI did a Firebrand too? - shame they are no longer produced.

CJP

• Like 1

There are only two unforgiven sins when building a Sea Fury young Bill

Leaving the footstep down with the first hand hold on the fuselage still closed and painting the interior yellow

bits Zinc Chromate.

Looking forward to this one.

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

There are only two unforgiven sins when building a Sea Fury young Bill

Leaving the footstep down with the first hand hold on the fuselage and painting the interior yellow

bits Zinc Chromate.

Looking forward to this one.

Hmmmm .........  excuse me a mo, chaps - must go and check a foot step or two .......... bu**er. ........

Oh well, I believe field mods were quite common in 1:1 scale as well!

• Like 1