RAF Tornado Farewell Tour

Latinbear

Sorry to jump on your thread, but here is part of the RAF Marham with last few flypasts 

Edited by fot0
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone was planning for the 28th (sorry, @Jinxman), it's been brought forward and will be between Feb 19th and Feb 21st:

https://ukaviation.news/raf-to-carry-out-tornado-farewell-tour-of-uk/

Since it conveniently coincides with half-term round here, and I'm on child-sitting duties, I might go and see it at Duxford if the weather looks permissive.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

In case anyone was planning for the 28th (sorry, @Jinxman), it's been brought forward and will be between Feb 19th and Feb 21st:

Since it conveniently coincides with half-term round here, and I'm on child-sitting duties, I might go and see it at Duxford if the weather looks permissive.

DCAE Cosford on the 19th for me then. 😀

3 hours ago, amblypygid said:

My understanding is that the three part tour is on the 19th, 20th and 21st as you said, and that is planned to be a three ship. There is also a 9 ship planned for the 28th that will flypast at RAF Marham and RAF Cranwell (weather permitting and all that). That's what I've learned from Fighter Control and UKAR anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Filler said:

My understanding is that the three part tour is on the 19th, 20th and 21st as you said, and that is planned to be a three ship. There is also a 9 ship planned for the 28th that will flypast at RAF Marham and RAF Cranwell (weather permitting and all that). That's what I've learned from Fighter Control and UKAR anyway.

Oh, good! The more the merrier. Would love to see nine Tornadoes go past, but the 28th isn't so convenient for me.

21 hours ago, amblypygid said:

This is good news, of a sort - I’ll be sorry to see the last of the Tonka.  It doesn’t seem so long ago that I watched one at Farnborough.  

Thanks to @amblypygld I know there's a chance to see the fly past at IWM Duxford.  The thing is, does anyone know the time it’ll take place?  IWM Duxford hasn’t mentioned it to ‘Members’.

Hoping for some help here!  I will, of course, ask Duxford but they’re not always very quick to answer.

Jonny

Raf twitter feed says they'll publish timings nearer the time. 

I'm hoping they say something about routes too. I'm not near any of the named flypast points, and I'll be working so can't travel, but pretty sure they'll have to come past at some point. 

Hopefully. 

W-D 

Ah, thanks, W-D.  I’ve just emailed the IWM.  That won’t help you personally, I know but if I get a sensible answer from Duxford I’ll pass it on.

Jonny

PS

IWM Duxford replied to the effect they hadn’t - at the time they replied, afternoon of the 13th - been told timings by the RAF.  They advise to keep an eye on the ‘RAF website’.

Edited by Jonny
Update re. timings at IWM Duxford

For what it's worth, the timings for the Tornado farewell flypasts were released today.

Have a look at https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press19/tornadofarewellprjan2019.htm 

There are timings and some other info.  Enjoy.  I'm planning on being at Duxford on Wednesday.

Jonny

• Thanks 1

Just back from Cosford - nice three ship and saw them turn towards Shawbury - 😞

Never seen so many people there, they had filled the normal and park and ride car parks and there were still a lot of people waiting to get in. We decided to bug out and park on the other side of the airfield at about 12:00 - it looked like it was going to be a bit tricky getting out afterwards..

Just came away from MOD St Athan, it was quick but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I watched my first one fly into the then RAF St Athan nearly 40 years ago when I was a young spacey.

Probably fair to say the tax payer got their money's worth from those old girls.

regards Glenn

Edited by cardiff guy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cardiff guy said:

Just came away from MOD St Athan, it was quick but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  Probably fair to say the tax payer got their money's worth from those old girls.

Very well said.  I saw them close to in the countryside, away from the crowds, which is how I will remember them.

Does anyone know the serials of the 'all grey' jets in the formation today?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Very well said.  I saw them close to in the countryside, away from the crowds, which is how I will remember them.

Does anyone know the serials of the 'all grey' jets in the formation today?

From the shots I took at Duxford today I think the ship on the port side was ZA587 and on the starboard side was ZD744, tail number 092. It's a little difficult to read the serials as they were in shadow. 

• Thanks 1

My wife and I watched the Leeming flypast yesterday, I've never seen so many cars along the straight between Leeming village and Londonderry. The planes were ok but I came away feeling the Willow Tree missed a golden opportunity by being closed, not sure if that's the ex matelot or Yorkshireman in me..... maybe both. 

Saw them at Linton on Ouse, bonus Puma and Wildcat on ground. Must find my slide of XZ630 (or 631) at Finningley in 1977, the first Tornado I saw close up with XX948 in the flying display. Thought they would go on for ever.