Best metallic colour for ships propellers

cruiserguy

Good Morning Everyone,

Been off the board for a while due to work. Things have eased a bit and I'm building a full-hull model for the first time in ages. What is the best metallic colour for ship's propellers. As you know I use Vallejo and Lifecolor, but I'll consider any make for paint for this.

Best Wishes,

Will.

I keep trying different metallics and keep being disappointed. Really, the only one I have consistent results with in the modern era have been Revell Aqua. Every time I use them, they work good. Out of the modern paints I have also tried Revell enamel (a strange sludge), Humbrol enamel (isn't metallic anymore), Humbrol acrylic (haven't tried the new stuff in the 18 ml bottle admittedly), Tamiya acrylic (weak), Tamiya enamel (awesome one time, rubbish the next), Model master enamel and acrylic (sometimes great, sometimes P weak), lifecolor, vallejo model color (both incredibly weak), the list goes on.

Apparently there are a few airbrush only lacquers that are good, but since I use brush or airbrush, I need something that can do the job either way.

I haven't tried the citadel metals, but there is a review for Revell aqua by a polish guy online where he compares the two, and Revell aqua beats them. Just google revell aqua revell. The website is called coloured dust I believe.

I have also heard good reports about the Vallejo Metal color line. An alcohol based paint. Haven't tried it yet.

I have some success with the model master enamel and acrylics, and tamiya enamels, but also some poor results. Revell aqua has been the only one that ticks the box every time.

If you had asked this question years ago, I would have just said 'Humbrol enamel, now move along please'. But those days seem to be over.