Patton Armor New Question ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello all i have a quick question ? Did the factories or U.S. Military prime the Steel on these Tanks during intial construction or maintenance cycle’s ? If yes what color were they primed in ? Any help is graciously accepted with thanks in advance. 

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, Circloy said:

The bare steel would have been primed during initial construction but the tanks would have been finished before leaving the factory in the then current US military colour, not in bare primer.

Thanks for the info. Im just curious if they took damage would the underlying color show ? And was it also green ? 

I know this question has been answered in the WW2 context, and one assumes that post-war only got better.  The type of paints (nitrocellulose enamel?) used by the US on its tanks and vehicles, primer and top coat, were baked to harden them.  Yes, even 49,000-odd Shermans.  This process bonded the primer and top coats such that they behaved as a single layer.  If it chipped off, it chipped back to bare metal.  Which, being armour plate, was a dark metallic brown.  Allegedly it was rare to see red primer visible on US vehicles.  Period black and white photos won't show this one way or the other, and old colour film in untrustworthy.

The only US post-war tank I'm really familiar with is the very early, maybe prototype, M48 at Bovington.  That certainly has some chips back to bare metal with no visible primer.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

The type of paints (nitrocellulose enamel?) used by the US on its tanks and vehicles, primer and top coat, were baked to harden them.  Yes, even 49,000-odd Shermans.  This process bonded the primer and top coats such that they behaved as a single layer.  If it chipped off, it chipped back to bare metal.  Which, being armour plate, was a dark metallic brown. 

That answers my question, thank you both very much. 

Dennis

I had a look at the Bovington M48 again today.  It's actually a T48 prototype, I discovered.  On a couple of chips on the sheet metal parts the top coat paint had chipped away to reveal red primer.  Just small areas.  However, the chips on the hull front show no visible primer.

• Thanks 1

Hello Anyone know if the M48’s used an exterior interphone to communicate with the infantry. These would be mounted on the exterior rear of the tank if it was used. This example is on an M41 at 1:30 in the clip.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Not found an actual photo Dennis, but this is a cut and paste from this site; http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product481.html

Infra-red driving lights are fitted as standard and most models have an infrared/white light searchlight mounted over the main armament, which has a maximum range of 2,000 m. Standard equipment includes an NBC system, heaters, an external infantry telephone and provision for installing a dozer blade on the front of the hull. The M48, M48C and M48A1 can be fitted with the M8 blade weighing 3,980 kg and the M48A2, M48A3 and M48A5 with the M8A1 blade which weighs 3,810 kg.

If I find any photos, I'll let you know.

John.

Hi Dennis. Carrying on from my last post, I checked with some of the references that I have and yes, they did carry the infantry phone, depending on the model as to where it was positioned. Looking at drawings of the M48 and M48A1, it appears to have been mounted on the rear hull plate, but on the M48A2 onward, it was mounted on a shelf on the right rear track guard.

HTH's.

John.

• Thanks 1