Hafner Gyroplane -1937, Scratchbuilt 1/72

A build from 11 years ago, as promised more autogyros:

A remarkable typology among the diverse world of flying objects is constituted by the strange-looking autogyro. Cross-developed with the helicopter, it contributed with many technical solutions later adopted by its still strong-going cousin.

These remarkable machines flourished especially during the Golden Age of Aviation, but dwindled in numbers, for no apparent reason (given its performance-cost ratio) until almost totally disappearing nowadays.

Pitcairn, De La Cierva, Kellett, are some of the most renowned brands. Hafner autogyros are not that well known, but the appearance of this one on itself merited at least a model of it.

Rotor blades for the Hafner were made of Contrail streamlined strut stock. I ordered the Pobjoy from Aeroclub, together with the wheels. Stab halves are the usual styrene ribbed envelope, which allows for a later introduction of a spar to fix them to the fuselage. A pleasant interior was created before closing the two vac shells, being very careful since the styrene that the Mattel can handle is very thin.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

03a.jpg

03b.jpg

04.jpg

06.jpg

07a.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 27

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I first learned of Raoul Hafner from a quick glimpse in the 1982 BBC Horizons documentary The Chopper, and I'm pretty sure this is the first model I've ever seen of one of his designs. What a little beauty!

I’m sure you’ve seen models of the Belvedere and Sycamore helicopters or even the Rotachute without realising they were Hafner designs

On 1/29/2019 at 10:50 PM, Aeronut said:

I’m sure you’ve seen models of the Belvedere and Sycamore helicopters or even the Rotachute without realising they were Hafner designs

That's a fantastic point. The Belvedere and Sycamore I wasn't aware of as being his!