Kellett K-2 Autogyro, Scratch-built 1/72

A build from 11 years ago, as promised more autogyros:

What is an autogyro?

This unlucky cousin of the helicopter enjoyed a brief and well deserved moment of glory during the 30’s and for no reason its popularity dwindled.

The Kellett K-2 had a Continental engine, while the K-3 had a 5 cylinder Kinner. The subject of this article started its life as a K-2 but was later given the Kinner. There were many other Kellets K-2s and K-3s: one went to Japan, another to Argentina, and the rest vanished in the mist of time save one restored airframe that now is in a museum. Coincidentally it has the same registration that my model.

Scratch-building is indeed easy; the only issue is that is difficult.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04a.jpg

04.jpg

04c.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

• Like 22

Now that is an interesting design. Looks like it was almost a traditional aeroplane but turned into an autogyro. Another stunningly beautiful model!

It is interesting that the Autogyro faded away and equally surprising that in these days of microlight aircraft that someone hasn't resurrected the idea - surely more appealing than hanging under a handkerchief!?

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Another gorgeous build Moa, thank you so much for sharing! I love the engine, and the rigging on the rotor blades. What a pugnacious-looking beasty!

4 hours ago, Baldy said:

It is interesting that the Autogyro faded away and equally surprising that in these days of microlight aircraft that someone hasn't resurrected the idea

There have been a small handful of tractor autogyros in recent years, but there are far, far more pushers. Kits, factory-built, open-frame, cabin, all sorts. But almost all pushers. Point is: there are A LOT of gyros flying today all over the world, just precious few with wings.

I for one would love to fly a modern version of a Pitcairn or Cierva, like the new-build WACOs.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Thanks 1

As an eleven-year-old or thereabouts, I had a crush on the Kellett. Maybe because of some collector's cards or a boys' magazine, possibly even an Eagle centrefold (the one that was usually on top of 'Sergeant Luck of the Legion'). I found those rakish lines and the upturned wing tips irresistible.

So, childhood memories recalled by this superlative model. Somehow, I think that the wing and fuselage design calls out for a spatted gear, but you can't have everything…

A really wonderful model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1