Revell, 1/72 ausf. H

Hewy

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Spectacular work Hewy - fantastic chipping :goodjob:

Thanks a lot Steve, although I think I must have been in 1/35 mode when I did some of those chips judging by the size of emšŸ˜‹, takes some getting used to this brail scale

Ā 

• Like 1

A question for those in the know, as its my first winter white wash , on a modelĀ  would it be appropriate to fit the tracks after the white or before? AndĀ  Would the whitewash be on the Hull sides behind the wheels , becauseĀ  I'm not going to put any lower shurzen onĀ 

56 minutes ago, Hewy said:

A question for those in the know, as its my first winter white wash , on a modelĀ  would it be appropriate to fit the tracks after the white or before? AndĀ  Would the whitewash be on the Hull sides behind the wheels , becauseĀ  I'm not going to put any lower shurzen onĀ 

I'm not exactly 'in the know', but found this while I was researching my own build:

Ā 

Winter camo

Ā 

I can't see the winter camo lasting on the tracks, I've read it was basically just chalk suspended in petrol.Ā  But if you mean theĀ  lengths of spare track attached to the hull and the turret, then I've seen plenty of photos of them liberally covered in whitewash.Ā 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Churchill said:

I'm not exactly 'in the know', but found this while I was researching my own build:

Ā 

Winter camo

Ā 

I can't see the winter camo lasting on the tracks, I've read it was basically just chalk suspended in petrol.Ā  But if you mean theĀ  lengths of spare track attached to the hull and the turret, then I've seen plenty of photos of them liberally covered in whitewash.Ā 

Thanks for that, I'll leave the tracks off till the end, they've given the wheels a good coat there haven't they

• Like 1

Hi Glynn,

Fantastic work. I have no chance of ever going down to that scale so I tend to steer clear of braille scale threads to prevent me getting jealous.

Ā 

I see Mr Churchill, Sir, has already offered up a photo with regards to whitewashing, but I'd just like to add that ALL whitewash was put on by brush/broom, spray-gun, or just thrown on by the bucket load (in extremis) and was applied to all parts of a vehicle while it had its wheels/tracks on. So you COULD whitewash the hull sides after you've put the tracks on. But not all crews bothered to whitewash the hull sides, or the wheels even. So it's up to you.

Ā 

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Cheers @BadderĀ  this helps a lot, most appreciated, I've been doing a bit of research for compacted snow tooĀ  around the running gear and between the tracks, and I've searched Mrs hewy cupboards and found the bicarb, so I'm going to have a bash at that too, a bit of a learning curve this brail scale

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Stunning progress Glynn. Your superior 1/35 modelling skills have transferred beautifully to this smaller scale. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,Ā 

StixĀ 

Cheers stix,Ā  but I don't know about superior, I am enjoying this though and plan to do other 72nd scale afv's

5 hours ago, Silenoz said:

looking good, curious about the whitewash

Ā Thanks, this will be my first whitewash and I don't exactly know what will be left of that paint and chipping look, maybe it will all be for nothing, but it's there just in case

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Charming, so tiny and so cool ... I like it as much as you got the tritone, which almost, almost, is a pity to whitewash it ... I would end it like this ...and so happy.

Cheers HewyĀ šŸ‘

Thanks francis, I liked it pre whitewash too.Ā 

But it's on, and the tracks took far far longer than they should, because I've attempted to do a bit ofĀ  a slack track job šŸ¤Ŗ, I've given it a raw umber oil wash only inĀ  these picturesĀ  it still needs to dry and thenĀ  be touched up, more pictures when I likeĀ  how it'sĀ  turning out, at the minute it's got a life of its own, it isn't how I envisaged it was going to be, yet, when the tracks dry I hope I'll be able to manipulate them better around the rollers

Ā 

qXagATx.jpg

Ā 

0m2pbKz.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

brilliant result - I am officially impressed :goodjob:

Cheers Steve, high praise coming from a small scale officianado such a yourself,Ā 

Stowage, mud, and some more weathering to go, oh and I've got a little chap to drop in the hole on topšŸ˜›,Ā 

• Like 1

The mucky panzer build continues , mud and base still to do, I'm unsure where to go from here, mud apart, some of my planned bits worked, some haven't, I've concocted a frankenstien tank commander from the figures in the tank commanders and Stowage set, I'm not very good at 1/35 figures so lord knows how this little fellas going to look dashed in paint, better pictures soon, I know it looks like he's having a drink from a tin of lager, but they're binoculars, or supposed to beĀ 

t3Lqvlm.jpg

Ā 

cdJv7ng.jpg

Ā 

5luP9DI.jpg

• Like 5

I've started a base it's a bit rough at the moment but once everything is dry I'll tidy it up a bit, I've gotĀ  the woodland scenics e-z water to add, it's the little pellets you heat up and pour in, never used it before so any pointers will be well recieved, then it'll be a mud fest,Ā  for the tank and scene, and finally the snow, after a bit more research the bicarb is a no go, so it's woodland scenics soft flake snow insteadĀ 

I reckon theĀ  tank commander would have kittens going over this bridge šŸ˜

GhrKRHj.jpg

Ā 

QyWG7Tl.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Mm35HCA.jpg

Ā Test fit

VJQESyD.jpg

Ā 

Sfk200J.jpg

Ā 

C2A1iXL.jpg

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Churchill said:

The base is hardly bigger than the tank itself, but loads of depth in it.ļ»æ

Thanks Churchill, I've already laidĀ  claim to Mrs hewys other candle lid for the upcoming tiger gb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Thanks Churchill, I've already laidĀ  claim to Mrs hewys other candle lid for the upcoming tiger gb

SECONDED - Great job - BTW when is the Tiger GB...

• Thanks 1

Hi Glynn. Your Pz.IV and your base are absolutely fantastic! Fantastic painting and finish on the H and I am so impressed by your base. As Churchill said above -Ā it's not much bigger than the tank itself but it sets the tank off beautifully!Ā :thumbsup::clap2::clap2::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Ā 

• Thanks 1

Just catching up with this one Glynn and I have to say that I am seriously impressed!

The tank itself looks absolutely fantastic with brilliant weathering and the whitewash effect, just superb. As for the base I think it is perfect, the size is just right and the quality is top notch, I'm really looking forward to seeing the water!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon it's about as finished as it's going to be, the water was an outright disaster, I rescued it as much as possible, I did consider binning it, you had to heat up little pellets to melting point then pour it in, I made some sides for it so I could pour it in to a certain level, easy eh, nooo, the Styrofoam I built the whole diorama from including the little rocks began to melt before my eyes, also it burst its banks and dripped between my fingers, meltingĀ  me too, still, this is mk2

Big thanks to @PlaStixĀ for running the show, great gb, and the encouragement for this 72ndĀ  scale adventure fromĀ @Churchill, @BIG X, @badger, to name but a few, my hat is tipped, thanks fellas, I thoroughly enjoyed it

Glynn

ngoTP87.jpg

Ā 

JJDLcoc.jpg

Ā 

sFloZhM.jpg

Ā 

iFwy0hz.jpg

Ā 

0ntM931.jpg

Ā 

5vhBOu0.jpg

Ā 

4LTNreq.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Glynn,

I just saw this pop up in the gallery and had to come here and have a look.

Wow, is all I can say!

Ā 

Oh, okay, I will say some more....

That would be a fantastic first attempt at whitewash in 1/35th, but it's miraculous in 1/72nd! I'm gobsmacked!

And what a fantastic base as well! Love that bridge!

Ā 

Shame about the water, though it now looks like a raging torrent and doesn't detract from the look of the thing at all.

I use Woodland Scenics' Realistic Water, which is a lot simpler to use - but you still have to make sure your 'dams' have no leaks!

Ā 

The best 1/72nd Panzer of the GB in my books!

Ā 

Ā 

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind words badder, for the whitewash I just kept looking at yours and tried to follow suit, yeh the water went belly up, I did try to get that woodlands scenic stuff but they'd ran out so I took a punt on the dangerous little pellets instead, not good, not good at all, it certainly isĀ  looking to be flowing quick though, cheersĀ 

GlynnĀ 

• Like 1