Revell, 1/72 ausf. H

Hewy

After perusing some of the most  impressive  72nd scale builds in this gb , and having my interest piqued, I'm going to re-enter the fray with the revell  panzer iv Ausf.h in 72nd scale, I can't even remember building a 72nd scale tank, since matchbox kits with the bit of a scene in the box  many years ago (and I mean many) , I've had to order said kit (£11 + shrapnel, delivered) and I await with glue at the ready, the kit, I don't have any after market goodies for it,but I understand its a very good kit, I shall be using big x, and badgers, builds as reference

Un7QwuL.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 9

Fantastic to see you are going to build another kit in this GB Glynn! Really looking forward to seeing your awesome modelling skills on a 1/72 version. Cant wait! :popcorn:

Kind regards, 

Stix 

1 minute ago, PlaStix said:

Fantastic to see you are going to build another kit in this GB Glynn! Really looking forward to seeing your awesome modelling skills on a 1/72 version. Cant wait! :popcorn:

Kind regards, 

Stix 

Stix, be sure that my modelling skills in 72nd won't get near these lads that are taking part  in the gb that model in the " atomic  scale" regularly , but they've really lured me in with some great builds,  and It makes me want to have a bash, so  I'll throw my hat in the ring, I'm looking forward to starting 

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this. It's a nice kit straight out of the box.

If I can help at all, let me know

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I rang up and cancelled the first donkey, must have been lame, reordered and the next company must have sent shergar,  it came the next day, I've had a good couple of sessions on it already , Superb kit, really sharply molded, very impressed, 

Alas, I reckon  I've been spoiled by bigger scales, and this is a different ball game, my hat gets tipped to 72nd scale modellers, I'm not going to buy after market stuff for this  kit but I want to have a bash at  altering (ruining) some bits and bobs, got  the turret together and i've drilled out the gun barrel for starters, I've got the wheels together too, basic stuff at the minute but hopefully it'll move on quite quickly

7Vyie1K.jpg

Jobs I've got in mind (try) 

I've got some brass sheet that I bought for another project, it's 0.3, maybe a little  too thick but I'd like to cut some shurzen panels from this, also with maybe thin plasticard or brass again do the spare wheel holder, and maybe resin  cast some bits of track for extra frontal armour a'la ozzys fine example(sorry Ozzy), I'm going to do a winter camo for a t-54 I'm building so this is going to be the guinea pig for that (not done one before), thanks for looking,.. I'll try

• Like 7

Hi Glynn. Great to see you managed to get one delivered eventually and great that you are underway. Looking good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing any modifications you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Well I admit it, 72nd is a different planet, here's what I've done  so far, warts an all, it will be cleaned up of my pre pubescent gluing style, I bent up the fenders and cut a bit off one side for a rough look(🤪that's my excuse anyway)  glued the wheels on and aligned them with a metal ruler (badgers build  tip) 

I decided to open the rear bin,  thinned the lid down, and poked some rolled up tissue soaked in pva in there hanging out, to represent a tarp might hide a bit of that with an air recognition flag yet, and I've thinned down the turret shurzen brackets, one broke into three pieces😳, that took a while to mend I'll tell ya,  I cut out a bit of brass sheet and offered it up to the kit plastic part  to make sure I'd got the dimensions thereabouts, then stuck it down, I'll attempt the turret sides tomorrow, and take some better ( more flattering) pictures, 

dBalV0D.jpg

I have aligned those shurzen brackets better since the photos

TRlcKZH.jpg

• Like 7

Great to see what looks like more excellent progress so far. I like the idea of the open bin and tarp too!! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 1

Well we've  got a power outage here at hewy towers, since 07-30 the the guys trying to mend it at the end of the lane reckon 21-00.i was hoping to update tonight but the girls,(I'm out numbered here at the towers)wife , daughter, dog, have claimed every camping light and candle from the whole establishment, and are busy doing a jigsaw at the table ,and I'm on a roll here🙁,still an update of sorts , I've  scratch build the turret shurzen, and the doors, and I've  fitted them now because i knew they'd need a fettle, I'm just about ready for paint  on the whole model now, I've   just got the spare wheel holder to scratch up,I've  painted the tracks tamiya dark iron ,and prepped the lower couple of shurzen panels ready to nail down when i can see👀

• Like 4

Hi Glynn. Sorry you've had such a long power cut today but I'm pleased you have managed to make some progress. I look forward to seeing some photos when you get chance.

Kind regards,

Stix

Great progress so far - like the open bin idea 🤔 and really impressed with the scratch built schurtzen.

Good luck getting the power back on soon 🤞

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hewy said:

Well we've  got a power outage here at hewy towers, since 07-30 the the guys trying to mend it at the end of the lane reckon 21-00.i was hoping to update tonight but the girls,(I'm out numbered here at the towers)wife , daughter, dog, have claimed every camping light and candle from the whole establishment, and are busy doing a jigsaw at the table ,and I'm on a roll here🙁,still an update of sorts , I've  scratch build the turret shurzen, and the doors, and I've  fitted them now because i knew they'd need a fettle, I'm just about ready for paint  on the whole model now, I've   just got the spare wheel holder to scratch up,I've  painted the tracks tamiya dark iron ,and prepped the lower couple of shurzen panels ready to nail down when i can see👀

Not enough light for pics? I want to see how you tackled the doors in the turret schurzen! 

Some pictures of my progress, I've got hold of the 72nd  German stowage and tank commander set by plastic soldier, I saw it in a build on here, big x I think, I'm thinking the metal can looks maybe  over scale a tad, any body else think so, I've got the few shurzen panels for the sides just about ready,  to go on after paint, I'm going to have a go at some tow rope, the copper wire method, and somehow make the plastic rolled up tarp look a bit more, well, less plastic, and a air recognition flag on the turret lid out of pva  and tissue, I've also cut out the shackle connections, and drilled them ready for some pins, when I'm happy with the spare  track, there'll be something rammed behind that

Scratch built shurzen 0.3 brass, and tiny, tiny parts to represent hinges from the leftover pe tub, it was  eduard 1/48 wessex I think, I hope it passes muster with the 72nd lads, thanks for looking

zl2BqqL.jpg

f3aQDwa.jpg

OkZ0PZr.jpg

1fI3hAB.jpg

bLWvkQz.jpg

kSZraoh.jpg

esrl58X.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 10

Forever impatient I couldn't resist getting a rough rendition of dunkelgelb on the little fella, just about every thing from here on in will be with the hairy stick (must swot up on stix's previous works) I'm even more determined to do something about the rolled up plastic on the back, I don't like that,I think I'll either pack stuff around it or rip it off, I've worked on the spare tracks at the front and I'm happy so far there, a bit to do though,, I've only  done a hint of camo because I am doing a winter finish, here he is on a base I've got for him ( one of Mrs hewy big candle lids, she won't miss it 😛

vmOVt8a.jpg

wQbkAzl.jpg

AMK5KJw.jpg

WPxxOSX.jpg

thvlt3P.jpg

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That is looking excellent Glynn, looks far better in 1/72 than I could achieve in 1/35!!

The weathering looks spot on to me, can I ask how you achieved the scratched paint/exposed bare metal look?

I look forward to seeing the Winter whitewash look, you know how I like a good Winter scheme :) .

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Glynn, a very fine looking build.

Thanks gents, much appreciated, Craig, the scratched, chipped look is nothing more than a fine(could have been finer) paint brush dipped in black then random dippings in the same area in vallejo metal colour  steel,  and dashed over with vallejo sepia washI know they were primered in red brown, but it wasn't enough contrast, thanks again, decals are also  on now , BTW  Craig , the wheels were  painted with my dapper multi tank wheel masker, borrowed from the daughters pencil case, even works in 72nd 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1