Irish Defence Forces 1st Cavalry Panhard AML 90 ( Takom 1:35)

Here is another kit that I actually finished end of last year including the diorama. Its Takom's AML 90 done up in Irish Defence Forces 1st Cavalry on manouvers sometime in the mid- late eighties I think. Decals are home designed and printed. Great kit except for the wheels; I replaced the kit wheels with resin wheel from Blast.  The dio is scratch built.

20190102_103235_zps6qfaqbwt.jpg

20190102_103203_zps0ohrngeh.jpg

20190102_103215_zpsclkciio2.jpg

regards

Brian 

• Like 21

Very good. I really must get my hands on the Takom kits. Both the 60 and 90 are long on my to do list. I remember both from my time in the FCA back in the eighties.

A few points, is that camouflage or just mud? I never saw them in anything other than green.

Is that a Charlie Haughey poster on the ground? Looks like it.😃

Also, are they lost? I say that because usually the lines on the side of the road are yellow in Ireland and those appear to white. Have they crossed the border by mistake? 🤔 Easy mistake to make. Ask me how I know. 😁😊

11 minutes ago, noelh said:

Very good. I really must get my hands on the Takom kits. Both the 60 and 90 are long on my to do list. I remember both from my time in the FCA back in the eighties.

A few points, is that camouflage or just mud? I never saw them in anything other than green.

Is that a Charlie Haughey poster on the ground? Looks like it.😃

Also, are they lost? I say that because usually the lines on the side of the road are yellow in Ireland and those appear to white. Have they crossed the border by mistake? 🤔 Easy mistake to make. Ask me how I know. 😁😊

Yes its mud. I used a combination of pastels and paint for it. These were temporary exercise colours and markings. If I can dig up the photos I will post them here.  

12553002_983205328412179_584208627407478

That's is indeed  a FF election campaign poster met Mr. Haugheys mug on it.  There is also a RTE Guide at the foot of the trooper by the wall.  

As to the colour of the road markings, you now have me wondering...….. you are right of course so I am wondering how I came up with the white.        

Edited by BKirwan
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BKirwan said:

Yes its mud. I used a combination of pastels and paint for it. These were temporary exercise colours and markings. If I can dig up the photos I will post them here.  

12553002_983205328412179_584208627407478

That's is indeed  a FF election campaign poster met Mr. Haugheys mug on it.  There is also a RTE Guide at the foot of the trooper by the wall.  

As to the colour of the road markings, you now have me wondering...….. you are right of course so I am wondering how I came up with the white.        

Missed the RTE guide, nice touch. Only being mischievous about the road markings. Maybe they were white back then? I can't remember. But I'm more worried about about the number of holes in the sand track on the hull. I must get out my magnifying glass and count them again. Then there's the question of rivets. 🕵️‍♀️ 😄

Only joking. I'll have to get me a Panhard.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

The AML 90 Model is the petrol engined one, the one in the picture is a Peugeot conversion to diesel which all the ()s in the DF were at the stage when the picture was taken, 1st Cav 90s with an  AML127( .5 Car) in the mix. All taken in Fermoy , home to 1 Cav at the time. I was 'enemy'on the same exercise and we took out all of these cars with 84mm Carl Gustavs..and flour bombs

• Like 1