Airfix 1/48 Gloster Meteor F.8, 504 (County of Nottingham) Squadron

6 hours ago, Mr T said:

Glad I have jogged your memory, I have a number of 00 scale Barton buses and a really nice picture of the Meteor at Newton from the year I was born. Would I be right in thinking it was a grass airfield? I remember going in the late 60's and I am sure it was then. Imagine what a risk assessment for a jet fighter firing 20mm rounds in public would look like today!

Sorry for a bit of hijacking Malcolm, but the stuff from John bought some memories back

Hijack away Mr T - glad to have brought back memories for you and John.

Cheers

Malcolm

Edited by Baldy

Very tasty! The 504 connection is of interest to me. My father was an 'erk' during the war, most of which was spent with Fighter Command. He ended his war with 504, going to Lubeck with them around April/May '45 before returning to the UK for demob. I still have his gas turbine course notes - all written in pencil in two RAF exercise books! While in Lubeck he managed to 'liberate' a Luftwaffe Belzer toolbox which served him for several decades as a motor mechanic in civvie street, and is now in my possession and in regular use in my home workshop!

• Thanks 1