F-35 Colour

Devilfish

On 2/17/2019 at 1:55 AM, Flaps out said:

Check out my feed I posted a F-35B or click on the picture below. I just finish about a month ago if you want info on the detail kits and paint let me know I did extensive reasearch to make sure the colours were correct.

20190113_105058-600x450.jpg

Could you provide details on paint & how did you accomplish the effect? I have F-35A (Academy) and B (Heasegawa) as well as Academy F-22 in my stash (picked up Academy models in my hobby shop after an airshow in my town that had F-35A & F-22) but am putting it off b/c have no idea how to reproduce the effect.

If you look at all the photos it depends on the light of day as to the tone of the colour one thing is constant that the finish is a satin to semi gloss. The colours of the body paint, RAM panels and areas like the nose are standard and vary slightly from nation to nation.

Main body FS36081 Euro gray also known as Dark Gunship Gray (but not to be confused with Gunship Gray (Model masters-1788)

Nose FS 36118 Gunship Gray (Model masters-172305)

RAM panels FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray (Model Masters-1728)

i-ZKq9pTP-600x450.jpg

The easiest way to do the RAM is to lay down your primer coat then your base coat you wont see hardly any faded or heavy soiled areas  in photos so no need to pre shade. I tried the RAM panel decals they are very difficult for all the grief they caused I did half decals (underside) and half airbrushed panels on the top side. Take the time and patients to mask off all your panels its a ton of work but it looks way more realistic than decals.

20181228_003614-338x450.jpg

20181218_204456-338x450.jpg

Masking and airbrushed 

20181228_150244-338x450.jpg

Decals

After all the painting and it is alot apply decals then a coat of semi-gloss clear top coat for enamels. I look forward to seeing your build there are a few good detail kits. When your using the photo eched parts on the cockpit keep the crazy glue away from the canopy until they dry. The fumes will migrate to the clear canopy and fog it then its ruined. I think I replaces about 10% of the kit with upgraded wheels, landing gear, cockpit tub, ejection seat, decals and I tore apart and rebuilt the engine as all kits are way under detailed. If you want the same look and detail I can lay it out for you its not that hard and I have some good photos you can have.

Cheers

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this for future reference as now these have arrived at Lakenheath I had to buy a 1/48 Meng F-35A for the fairly reasonable-ish sum of £35 (inc p&p) from eBay. I shouldn’t have, as it’s a repulsive thing compared to a Bucc or Jag, but now they’re at the Heath I think they’re becoming cooler.

Anyway, I’ve read the colour is FS36170 - does anyone know the Tamiya rattle can equivalent or closest match to that please? Or any spray paint? I can’t brush paint, I’m so rubbish it looks like a toddler has done it, it has to be spray cans.

Second, does anyone know if any of the aftermarket decal makers are planning on 48th FW decals for the F-35?

Tough question @Lord Riot! It's a brownish-grey colour that reflects differently under different light. The only company to really nail it is Colourcoats with their FS36170. This is brushable enamel if you fancy another go at it! Sorry not to be of more help and conspicuously not answering your actual question, but I used Colourcoats sprayed over an all-metallic silver undercoat and it worked out just about perfect.

tn_IMG_20190725_091201

If you can match that colour in Halfords, you'd be on your way!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

The F-35 colours are:

Overall- FS36170 “Camouflage gray” / SMS Have Glass grey PL69

Markings- FS36231 “Gray int’l / AC Gray #23” / SMS Dark Gull Grey PL118

Interior- FS36375 “Medium gray” / SMS US Medium grey  PL120

Obviously add white to the list for the weapon bays, etc. 

I have the advantage of being able to walk over to the paint locker and having a look for myself; The paint shades utilised are not secret, but the composition, additives, NSN’s and part numbers of the coatings certainly are. 

The various methods employed to mask over panel gaps and such-forth start life as FS36170, but can change over time due to the different materials utilised, ambient temperature, time of day and all that. The paint patches forward of and behind the intakes are the same shade, but have different additives in the paint for…”reasons”, so they look a tad darker.  

In short- There are many, many different photos of F-35’s on the internet. Paint your model however makes you happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 9:34 AM, Alan P said:

Tough question @Lord Riot! It's a brownish-grey colour that reflects differently under different light. The only company to really nail it is Colourcoats with their FS36170. This is brushable enamel if you fancy another go at it! Sorry not to be of more help and conspicuously not answering your actual question, but I used Colourcoats sprayed over an all-metallic silver undercoat and it worked out just about perfect.

tn_IMG_20190725_091201

If you can match that colour in Halfords, you'd be on your way!

@Alan P How thin and at what ratio did you paint the grey over the silver base coat? Thanks.

Some time ago, a year or so sort of time scale, someone on here (I think) posted a mix with Humbrol paints for the dark Have Glass colour, I recall it involved #53, Gun metal but can't recall what else & in what ratios, anyone have that info filed away?

(Later) A rush of blood to the brain cell resulted in me checking my bookmarks :shrug: & revealed this build, using a 4/1 mix of Hu 53 Gunmetal  & Hu 21 Gloss Black. Not as cool looking as @Alan P,s colour & probably a different application but serviceable for what I'm likely to do in a similar build. 

Steve.

9 hours ago, peterd23 said:

@Alan P How thin and at what ratio did you paint the grey over the silver base coat? Thanks.

I used Colourcoats FS36170 thinned approximately 50:50 with their proprietary naphtha-based thinners. The base coat was Alclad Polished Aluminium. I can't remember if I used a clear barrier coat between the Alclad and the enamel paint, but I don't think it would have needed it.

The “new” scheme is known as “Z-13”. It’s whole purpose is to speed production and save money by using a single color. I believe it was implemented in 2017. 36170 gray is certainly an elusive color and highly subjective.