F-35 Colour

Devilfish

I'm doing the Kittyhawk F-35B in the RAF scheme. I bought Hataka's Have Glass Grey, and sprayed it, but far from being the expected grey, it's more like gunmetal.  Is this correct, as all photos I have seen, it seems more grey than metallic...

I can't say much about the Hataka or MRP paints specifically as I've never seen them, but the main paint on the F35 (and F22) is supposed to have a slightly metallic sheen to it. A real sweetheart to get across in photography I suspect, but in the right light you can often see a significant difference in sheen between the overall paintjob and the RAM coating around some of the panel lines. IIRC the metallic sheen is due to a translucent coat on top of the grey paint, so Mr Paint's approach would match that, though whether or not it ends up matching the look as well is a different question.

5 hours ago, Devilfish said:

I'm doing the Kittyhawk F-35B in the RAF scheme. I bought Hataka's Have Glass Grey, and sprayed it, but far from being the expected grey, it's more like gunmetal.  Is this correct, as all photos I have seen, it seems more grey than metallic...

Like the F-22, it depends on the viewing angle and lighting.  At some angles/lighting conditions they appear like a normal gray at others they look very metallic.

Regards,

Murph

I'm doing an F-35 with the Hataka paint at the moment and I agree it looks quite metallic. Still I have seen so many photos of the F-35 with different tints that I'll accept it. If I had to do it again I would probably go for FS 36170 or Gunze H53 Neutral grey with a bit of silver mixed in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sroubos said:

I'm doing an F-35 with the Hataka paint at the moment and I agree it looks quite metallic. Still I have seen so many photos of the F-35 with different tints that I'll accept it. If I had to do it again I would probably go for FS 36170 or Gunze H53 Neutral grey with a bit of silver mixed in. 

I'm doing the latest scheme without all the different coloured tape, but it does seem like there are still different coloured panels on it, or is that just the light on the metallic particles, do you think?

From what I've seen of the new scheme there still appear to be some panel outlines that have a different color to them, mainly around the weapon and landing gear bays.

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=53014

I'm building one of the first two Dutch test aircraft and although I'm not fully convinced by the Hataka paint, I'm sticking with it in combination with Gunze H306 and the Hasegawa decals for the RAM panel outlines. When I look at a photo like this it doesn't seem to be too bad of a choice, although there are plenty of photos which make you wonder what Hataka was sniffing when they put this color mix together...

26795124583_b34f007520_b.jpg

I've seen both Raptor and "Lightning A" at few airshows last year (at one show they were flying one after another and then "Heritage Flight" with a real lightning -- P-38) and they both have a slight metallic look that I haven't seen on say F-16.

15 hours ago, sroubos said:

From what I've seen of the new scheme there still appear to be some panel outlines that have a different color to them, mainly around the weapon and landing gear bays.

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=53014

I'm building one of the first two Dutch test aircraft and although I'm not fully convinced by the Hataka paint, I'm sticking with it in combination with Gunze H306 and the Hasegawa decals for the RAM panel outlines. When I look at a photo like this it doesn't seem to be too bad of a choice, although there are plenty of photos which make you wonder what Hataka was sniffing when they put this color mix together...

26795124583_b34f007520_b.jpg

This way pretty much my thoughts, although photos from different angles seem to show different panels....

Definitely doing one without all that "tape" on the panel lines though!!!

I must admit, I'd like to do a Dutch one afterwards, as my mum is Dutch

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 12:55 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

We have had FS36170 for quite a while also. IIRC we were one of the first.

It's ACUS41.

I used this paint for my 1/72 Hasegawa model. Although the paint matches the FS chip very well, it looked a bit too light on my model. I ended up mixing it 50/50 with black (also Sovereign) and used the pure FS36170 for the RAM lines. I think this looks better - at least in my eyes.

F-35_36_800.jpg

F-35_40_800.jpg

Nils

• Like 4

I applied H306 (FS36270) after two nights of masking, then removed the masking and I have to say I'm very disappointed. What I've ended up with does not resemble any of the photos I've seen of the F-35. I'll post a photo of the results tonight but to be honest, I'm going to do this one again and mix my own paint. 

1 hour ago, sroubos said:

I applied H306 (FS36270) after two nights of masking, then removed the masking and I have to say I'm very disappointed. What I've ended up with does not resemble any of the photos I've seen of the F-35. I'll post a photo of the results tonight but to be honest, I'm going to do this one again and mix my own paint. 

It wouldn’t, h306 is not supposed to be have glass 36170, it’s the much lighter hade of grey used on f-16s 

You misunderstand; H306/36270 is recommended by Hasegawa for the RAM panels and lining, I applied it on top of Hataka Have Glass. It's not intended to be an alternative for Have Glass or 36170. The problem with 306 is that it should be identical to the color of the RAM decals which Hasegawa provides for the majority of the panels, but 306 does not match with the decals. Applying them would result in two very distinctly different shades of RAM panelling on the plane, which, in conjunction with Hataka's crappy rendition of Have Glass, would look like a proper dog's breakfast.

Hasegawa actually recommend H53 Neutral Gray for the base airframe, which of course does not give you the metallic sheen. I'm going to mix up some 36170 with a dash of silver in it to see what that gives me as I don't have Neutral Gray. To be honest I'm not too hung up about the 'greyness' of the base color as long as it has a far more subtle metallic sheen to it, rather than the gun metal color the Hataka provides.

Edited by sroubos

2 hours ago, Vingtor said:

I used this paint for my 1/72 Hasegawa model. Although the paint matches the FS chip very well, it looked a bit too light on my model. I ended up mixing it 50/50 with black (also Sovereign) and used the pure FS36170 for the RAM lines. I think this looks better - at least in my eyes.

Nils

Did you paint all the RAM panels or did you use a combination of decals and paint?

I first painted the RAM colour. Then masked this with a combination of custom made masks and Tamiya tape. Finally top coat of the darkened paint.

F-35_28_800.jpg

F-35_29_800.jpg

F-35_30_800.jpg

Nils

• Like 3

Well, another friend of mine has found out that all new F-35s are all over FS 36170 and Have Glass. Any panels that appear to be other colours are just due to light diffraction, so I will be painting mine all over one colour.  Those older aircraft, with the tape on the panel joints will be repainted overall grey when they are next repainted I assume.

This is Hasegwa's B model using Hataka paint covered in Vallejo semi matt varnish.

The paint is quits sparkly but toned down nicely under the varnish. This paint does look very different under certain light.

The stencil decals came from the box  but don't really look quite the right colour on the paint.

The roundels came from Xtra decal but compared to pictures are to big.

• Like 2

Norwegian F-35As that were test flown at Luke AFB, Arizona, had well visible RAM lines/panels. When the same aircraft arrived in Norway they had apparently been repainted and with no (or very vaguely) visible RAM lines/panels.

Nils

You migth doubht Niels, however....

While test flown at Luke, 5148, 5149 and 5150 had "clearly" visible RAM lines/panels, while upon arrival in Norway these were not that much distinguishable from the overall fuselage colour. This might be explained as light conditions, though.

However, while test flown at Luke, these aircraft had the tail number in the USAF style font, while upon arrival in Norway the same aircraft had the tail numbers in the RNoAF (or RNORAF as it is called nowadays) font. This cannot be explained by light conditions.

Nils

I haven't seen this Nils - to me, there is a clear disctinction between the RNoAF F-35A's serving with the 62FS and those flown home. Those flown home had the Norwegian tail numbers, while those remaining in the US retain the "US" style with angled curves. 

• 3 weeks later...

Check out my feed I posted a F-35B or click on the picture below. I just finish about a month ago if you want info on the detail kits and paint let me know I did extensive reasearch to make sure the colours were correct.

20190113_105058-600x450.jpg