Ae. M.B. 2 cropduster, 1/72 Modified Vacuformed

A build from 10 years ago, another cropduster:

(you may see:

This modeling endeavor is the result of a gift: the 1/72 Ae. M.B.2 vac kit was very kindly sent to me by fellow modeler Luis Santos, that produced the parts time ago as a “divertimento”.

The kit, as it arrived to my door, had few parts, and appeared very simple, with no surface detail. No interior or exterior details were provided either, nor transparencies or decals. The styrene was of adequate thickness, the simplicity of the molds is the small price we have to pay to be able to build esoteric aircrafts.

No doubt the arcane subject made my eyebrows raise, being a plane designed and built in Argentina in the pre-second WW2 years. The prototype was designed as a light bomber, but eventually found some other, more peaceful uses as a transport and even as a crop-duster, which is the subject of this article.

The lines of the plane were simple and probably the most remarkable features of the design were the high-aspect ratio of the wing and its generous size. A limited number of machines that explored some variations on the theme were produced, with minor changes in the landing gear, window arrangement, rudder shape, wing-to-fuselage fairings, fuselage covering and the fuselage top. The lines and proportions were, as said, simple but somehow pleasant. The design didn’t live long, but surely provided with some experience to designers, builders and pilots.

After separating the parts I dealt with the areas that needed either filling or sanding. After searching for references I added surface detail and refined here and there. It took a little time, but it wasn’t overwhelming.

A master was made for the canopy and a clear vac molded on and a cockpit was scratch-built with a fair deal of components.

Once the fuselage was closed the dorsal area of the fuselage was modified (it was chopped-down as per the military version in the vac provided).

Building proceeded to a point where I really needed to have a look at the photos of the crop-dusting version I was aiming for. In spite of the help of a few friends the images didn’t surface, so I half-guessed, based on comments, that area. I glued the involved parts sparingly, so if at certain point I can actually see some photos, I’ll be able to address the possible changes.

Some external details were scratched, like a wind-driven generator on the left wing, the carburetor intake, engine exhausts, Pitot –under the left wing-, Venturi –left side of the cockpit, oil cooler and navigation and landing lights. The latter equipped with MV lenses. Aeroclub parts were used for the engine and the wheels.

I painted the model as per its production companions, light grey, but no markings were added, again, waiting for photos to appear. One of the references states that three machines were adapted for cropdusting with two drums containing the product inside the fuselage.

The research, corrections, fabrication of the missing bits and the building itself took a time; nevertheless I have now the clunky but rather charming shape of this model boasting its old refrigerator-like lines on the desk.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 29

Another delightful looking aeroplane and another superb build.

I struggled for weeks with an vacform JU-288 about 40 years ago - ended up storing it for years and finally threw it away. Never tried another!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Baldy said:

I struggled for weeks with an vacform JU-288 about 40 years ago - ended up storing it for years and finally threw it away. Never tried another!

Cheers

Malcolm

Dear Malcolm:

That serves you well for trying to build WW2 german stuff :angry:

There are good vacs and bad vacs, as there are good beers and bad beers (in this case the German beers are not bad) :drink:

Edited by Moa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do like both your choice of subjects and the different methods of construction. I too am not a fan of vacforms - I think it is easier and more satisfying to make my ownparts, but that is only my opinion. Thanks again for the construction photos - they demonstrate very clearly the steps taken to build the model and are most helpful.

P

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:31 PM, Learstang said:

Excellent job, as usual! It looks something like a poor man's Northrop Delta.

Best Regards,

Jason

I was just thinking the same thing.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A new type to me, and one that has a strangely appealing shape, albeit not one that you would immediately associate with a cropduster. A very nice result - well worth the effort. A couple of hours ago I was cursing at my own in-progress vacform build not going as smoothly as I would have liked, but seeing this has made me think that I should 'man up' and just get on with it!

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jonners said:

A new type to me, and one that has a strangely appealing shape, alneit not one that you would immediately associate with a cropduster. A very nice result - well worth the effort. A couple of hours ago I was cursing at my own in-progress vacform build not going as smoothly as I would have liked, but seeing this has made me think that I should 'man up' and just get on with it!

Jon

Some intel: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/351168-data-sheet-aemb-1-2-“bombi”/

Chris

• Like 2