Revell 1:72 Corsair Mk IV

SimonL

With my Airfix Wildcat approaching completion, I thought I would dig out another naval subject. Picked this up cheap late last year. Haven't made a Revell model in years so it will be an interesting change for me. Straight out of the box as I really like the gloss sea blue look.

First time I have seen a black Revell box.

33025173538_5a7fae5e10_b.jpg

Sprue shot. Looks Ok. Couple of nasty sink marks on the drop tanks, but I don't intend to use them.

33025173558_7563e8a783_b.jpg

The wing tips for the FAA aircraft on the box.

46175731674_622355c2e4_b.jpg

Canopy parts - which I gather are very thin and fragile.

46175731234_0a085090b5_b.jpg

Neat decal sheet (that's just a bit of dust by the way - markings are fine).

31959202147_87f11e0e1b_b.jpg

Instruction booklet - which os quite a difference from the old Revell standard printed on very poor recycled paper. Confusingly there are variations between the marking scheme in the instructions and the completed kit on the front of the instructions......

33025173138_b26de0b929_b.jpg

Instructions look nice and clear, with plenty of colour call outs.

33025173378_7816d36f63_b.jpg

So from my reading around, the markings in the kit are for a Corsair Mk IV which is a  Goodyear built FG-1. In terms of painting it should have an interior green cockpit and inside of the engine cowling, gloss sea blue wheel wells, undercarriage and wheel hubs and overall gloss sea blue for the main colour. So relatively straight forward. Lets see if I can mess it up!

• Like 8

Bit warm to do much in the way of painting today, so just made a bit of start on the cockpit. Rather than use the decals for the seatbelts, I attempted to cut them out with their backing paper and glue them to the seat in a an attempt to have a more 3d look. Partially successful I think - they needed a bit of overpainting. I am going to have the canopy closed, so it will do.

I used Italeri Acrylic Interior green and Tamiya Acrylic flat black.

39938882563_c9d8bd04bd_b.jpg

That's as far as I could get today. Sadly I see Revell still persists with those annoying end opening boxes, so I had to improvise for keeping the parts safe from the cats.

39938882583_7a9af30180_b.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Sadly I see Revell still persists with those annoying end opening boxes

Worse, the plastic was white in its previous boxing - horrible. That appears to have changed here. The kit itself builds up nicely although the multi-part wing is a bit of a pain. I also found the cowling ring a little tricky to line up and there was no 'positive' location for the gear struts...watch out for those

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well, this was a disappointment. So much so I left it on the shelf for months. Lots of filler needed, @FalkeEins wasn’t kidding about the cowling ring. I grabbed it off the shelf to see if I could get it finished -and then has issues with the paint. Sigh. I forgot to take any photos, until after I got the decals on (which were actually pretty easy, albeit a bit “grabby” even on a very gloss surface). Oh, and I cracked the canopy as well 😥

49236461478_41b8dfffa5_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2