Battle of Britain in photos albums

Lican

Good day everyone. I decided to open a topic devoted to photographs of the period of the fighter command of 1938-1941. 

I decided to simplify everything and created an account in Flickr, I hope this will be the best option.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144949377@N05/albums

About me:

My name is Sergey Krivitsky, 33 years old, I live in the Russian Federation in the village of Vladimir-Aleksandrovskoe. My hobby is collecting models of World War II airplanes on a scale of 1/72 and 1/48, looking for photographs and studying the history of fighter command during the Battle of Britain.

- The goal is to collect in one and organize photos in one archive. Free to provide these photos to anyone who wants.
- Photos from other fronts of 1941 will also be presented. Africa. Greece and the Soviet Union
- I will lay out from 1 to 10 pieces per day
- They will be distributed in the order of the squadron numbering, and then in distribution (but they will be stored in the album of the squadron) as new photos appear
- the load depends on how quickly I will find a description of the photo and my free time
- Most of the photos will be in good or acceptable resolution to view them.
- They will also upload photos of poor quality (to collect as much information as possible and to display this period as accurately as possible. Fighter teams), but after the main photo upload
is completed - Photos will be systematized by album squadrons
- The description of the aircraft / pilot will be code, location of the image and date. And for pilots link to the biography
- All photos were collected using resources from the Internet, but they will be from the personal collection of people who provided them to me.

In this thread:

- In this topic I will write about updating the archive of photos
- Discussion of photos
- We need your help in finding descriptions of photos
- Group suggestions
- Wishes, etc.
- Questions and answers on the topic of interest to us.

Also I will be happy to help in finding photos. Send photos or ask questions to the email address: [email protected]

Edited by Lican
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 7

24 minutes ago, Lican said:

Tomorrow will be 19 Squadron. Enjoy your viewing.

this one is a good one!

hJmINdtFDHM.jpg

P7422 IIa CBAF MXII 6MU 16-9-40 19S 26-9-40 AST 27-6-41 234S 24-8-41 ASTM 25-10-41 SOC 18-11-41

Finally,  a Bob Mk II apart from the shot of an 266 Sq plane in the Price Spitfire book (which is a film still)

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Finally,  a Bob Mk II apart from the shot of an 266 Sq plane in the Price Spitfire book (which is a film still)

There's several photos of IIas during the BoB in Sarkar's BoB Kaleidoscope volumes Troy.

Lovely photos btw Lican.

Edited by Smithy
  • Thanks 1

It is possible and in the book Dilip Sarkar Duxford A battle of britain Base at War, a series of snapshots 134-141 P/O Dolezal, P/O Hradil & Sub-Lt. Blake. But you definitely will not find the number and code of the squadron.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

There's several photos of IIas during the BoB in Sarkar's BoB Kaleidoscope volumes

Not books I'd heard of, though I am now aware if them!   

But do they show the important stuff we desire... as in individual aircraft letter, serials and close ups's of personal artwork? 

If so I've not seen them used for decal options,  or have I missed those?   New photos to me are always a treat.

I had not realised before that the 85 Sq and 17 Sq were from the same shoot.    That both units are sporting non standard sky demarcations, and coloured spinners is fascinating.

I also brings up the possibility that 17 Sq were also using flight coloured spinners, rather than just Sky as I had assumed previously.  If only Life had done some colour film like the late spring 41 shots of that 65 Sq Spitfire (IIRC

Try Amazon: The Battle of Britain: v. 2: The Photographic Kaleidoscope

There seems to be three volumes in the series -- four. but the first is out of print and ridiculous expensive

Edited by NPL

3 minutes ago, NPL said:

Try Amazon: The Battle of Britain: v. 2: The Photographic Kaleidoscope

There seems to be three volumes in the series

Hi Nils

I have found listing of 4 volumes,   is volume 2 particularly of note? 

I have all 4 volumes, great books. If it allows further time and opportunities scan them. Although the quality of the book  Duxford A battle of britain Base at War (picture quality) is much worse than the above. The quality of course will be as scanar opportunities will allow. I hope you understand what I am writing, I am writing in a translator. Thank you all for your support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Lican said:

It is possible and in the book Dilip Sarkar Duxford A battle of britain Base at War, a series of snapshots 134-141 P/O Dolezal, P/O Hradil & Sub-Lt. Blake. But you definitely will not find the number and code of the squadron.

I have serial numbers for some of the 19 Sqn Spitfires flown during BoB but no Aircraft ID letters.  Especially those flown by S/Lt A Blake..

Perhaps @Seahawk  or @Graham Boak  could check the books on these?

31962196197_349457d8c5_o.jpg17 Squadron 16 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

If you go to the page it enlarges,  look to be N252?   

EDIT

also https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/raf-anglia-fighters/IgF-c7Y5DaXfNw

May enlarge more,  the emblem looks to be the same on both sides. 

Any 17 Sq matches ?

other side, note emblem beneath canopy,  there appears to be one on the other side too, if you look

45988881485_4ddb9e774f_o.jpg17 Squadron 17 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr   

If the flight coloured spinners is correct, yellow?   Nearest tonal match to roundel

Also YB-A

P303?46178591094_20cf3d0cb4_o.jpg17 Squadron 09 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr 

Note glossy spinner, possibly red, if using flight colours?  Compare to fin flash

Note, in the flickr album the glossy spinner is much clearer in others in the sequence.

35 minutes ago, Lican said:

I hope you understand what I am writing, I am writing in a translator. Thank you all for your support.

Seems to make sense,  wish i was still in contact with a chap I wrote to in Russia for many years, he was a translator!   Do you have any information on VVS Hurricanes?