[ 1:48 Hasegawa ] - Nakajima B5N2 Kate flown by Lt. Mitsuo Fuchida during Pearl Harbor attack

12 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

Excellent! Well done! Were the flaps a kit option?

thank you. Yes the flaps are part of the kit. They've got plastic pins you can remove so you can place them both in extended or retracted position, thought extended looks better.  Ailerons and tail surfaces are fixed on the other hand. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Looks like the Japanese didn't have much in the way of a maintenance budget.  A lick of paint on Lt. Fuchida's plane might have brightened it up a bit!  Cracking job. :clap2:

yeah they have kind of a problem with priming and sea weathering, makes it quite fun for modelling actually.

Also i'm not totally sure those picture i've shown are right from the pearl harbor attack or later pictures from the same plane flown by the same man.

They're always presented as such but i've opened a discussion before starting the kit and there are different opinions on that. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

Bella machina! You matched the flaking perfectly - looks like the real thing.

Just a small note about Fuchida's rank: He was a Commander (Cdr) at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Flaking was not generally a problem with IJN camouflage. Quite contrarily, the factory-applied camouflage with primer was very solid and lasting. Moreover, the Navy kept their planes in good shape during operations. Of course, there were some exceptions.

The issue here is that Fuchida's plane seems to have been painted aboard the carrier en route to Hawaii, not taking the time to apply primer first. Maintaining it wouldn't have made sense because the colour simply wouldn't stick.

Thanks for this great build.

Michael

Edited by Toryu
Changed rank from Lt Cdr to Commander
  • Thanks 1

Great build and excellent finish

I was going to ask the same question.....was this the condition of the aircraft at the time of the attack on pearl harbour?

Or was this the aircraft at some time later in its career?

With nothing else but a guess I would have thought the aircraft might have been in better shape around the time of Pearl Harbour and the excellent rendition of Fuchida's aircraft is from later in the conflict.

Either way ...........superb and thanks for posting! :)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Winenut said:

I was going to ask the same question.....was this the condition of the aircraft at the time of the attack on pearl harbour?

Or was this the aircraft at some time later in its career?:)

hell if i know. as i said those are the only two known pictures of fuchida's plane ( and it seems like they come from a video if u ask me ). they're usually presented as picture from the pearl harbor attack, but as far as i know the thing is still disputed.  that's kinda crazy the amount of information already lost on an historical moment that happened so relatively recently. no other picture taken than these two, no people able to confirm or deny, no reliable accounts

Edited by cambridge