Thanks for the encouragement, guys. 

It's very much appreciated! 

There's time pressures and distractions ongoing, but little bits of progress. 

The distractions have been put in their own place... 

... and as I get up to speed on there with what I have Lockheed-wise, a lot of what I have learnt on the Curtiss will come up again. 

More on the Skytruck soon 👍

Well the yellow paint worked out quite well, and I got a couple of control surfaces tidied and fitted. 

IMG_20190409_212004

IMG_20190409_211902

I had a bit of a drama with the elevator. 

Before foiling, I had a notion to try and create a "well used" look, with metal sinking a bit between the ribs etc. 

It didn't seem like I'd made much of an impression on the plastic.... 

But when I foiled it.... Yikes! 

Every last detail of the marks and abrasion was multiplied by 100!! 

Fortunately I only did one side of the elevator, although it was what I intended to be the top surface. 

Rather than trying to resurface the thing, I tried flipping it over and fitting to the other Tailplane. And it went on perfectly! 

So I'm going with that. My effort was not so bad as to be a write off, but I definitely don't want it face up on the plane. 

It can sit there quietly, facing the ground, as a silent reminder to think things through before launching into a madcap idea like that! 

I've got problems with a thing called kerning. 

It's a graphics device that deals with the spacing between letters, to keep the lettering visually balanced. 

Which is definitely not the case with this. 

IMG_20190409_191345

Check out the gapping between the V and A on that!!!! 

I managed a bit of stencil styling, and then that turned out to be pixcelated to oblivion... 

IMG_20190409_191320

You can see the A starting make a problem with the R already, and when it comes next to the V it's a graphic catastrophe! 

Other news - - - somebody just flagged up the Lockheed Group Build that's about to start! 😇

• Like 5

One flap is fixed in place... Yayy! 

IMG_20190409_232134

Here's the top view... 

IMG_20190409_232325

I put 3 little triangular doublers on the mounts to give more surface area to the butt joints onto the t.e wall. 

This is the elevator surface I was saying about. 

Foiling really multiplies the appearance of something like this, compared to what it looks like on the bare plastic. 

IMG_20190409_232252

Lessons learned! 

• Like 1

At last, a full set of tail feathers! 

IMG_20190416_000109

IMG_20190416_000153

And a little transparency on top of the navigation light on the fin. 

As anticipated, I had to scratch the trim tab on the elevator.... I'll probably find the original one eventually.... 

Here's the plastic before foil, 

IMG_20190415_230232

😎

• Like 2

Impressive build. I‘m furiously taking notes here, since I have one of those in my stash. 

BTW, if you‘re still struggling with the decal lettering, I can help you with that. I‘m a graphics guy by trade. Shoot me a PM if you‘re interested. 

• Thanks 1

I hope you get some information from the build @obermartin.

And motivation! Time to get that box out and on to the bench!!  There's no doubt that it makes up into a beautiful plane... in anything but olive drab! 

So many options.... Esp if you can design and make your own schemes. 

I'll PM you, and thanks for the offer of help 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Add on

www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/News_articles2010/Bolivian_C46_Odyssey.html

Hope this link will work

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/News_articles2010/Bolivian_C46_Odyssey.html

Better? 

CP 973 is the airframe in the background here...!! 

20190131-064024.jpg

So top marks for the rebuild. 

I think that's the plane that was up for auction. 

Anyone put in a winning bid?? 

😎

Some progress on the Curtiss, small steps edging forward... 

Getting on with the flaps. All 4 are fabricated, and the 2nd one is fixed in place. 

IMG_20190421_212953

My opinion is that it is definitely worth the effort. "Big n Beefy" is a reasonable description of these surfaces. 

Also fitted a few refinements : tailwheel doors, couple of antennas, the main landing light, and a pair of windscreen wipers.

IMG_20190421_212953

Ooops! 

IMG_20190421_213032

There's something a bit dishevelled about the nose area that I can't quite get a handle on... Sometimes it looks better and sometimes it comes across as a bit battered looking. 

Great news on the decor! 

Thanks to the competent and enthusiastic endeavours of @obermartin, I have a file with a superb version of the TAB fuselage lettering, reg letters and even the tail fin logo badge.

Far exceeding anything I could have done..... So I want to thank you publicly Martin for efforts above and beyond!! 

Just need to produce a set of waterslides and this "Queen of the Andes" will be on the home straight!! 

• Like 1

Main doors too. 

IMG_20190421_225705

These require a little bit of fussing over,  with a little bit of a misalignment evident on the factory moulds. 

Attachment to the edge of the nacelle opening is - what shall I say... "unaided". 

I made some add-on angled strips to fit to the top of the door on the inside, and glued up into the nacelle. 

It's all a bit curved in different directions down there! 

👍

• Like 1

One of my faves, I say that out of favoritism. I worked at Air Manitoba as a first year apprentice in '94 and we had I think four. Was lucky to have one short ride, empty over the city rating a pilot on stalls. Came back with the right engine dead, lost fuel pressure I was told. Plaqued it again a short while later resulting in a crash and write off in Kenya. They were leased to them for humanitarian hauling. C-GIBX. This model's looking good, I like this colour scheme, wonder how many of these are still in any decent condition in S.America.

• Like 1

The nose area is getting a bit of attention. At last.... 

IMG_20190422_212132

A little smoothing, a little bit of white undercoat again and another yellow topcoat, applied quite thin. 

So it's like the white light from below shines through the yellow paint. 

I knew a straight pinstripe decal was never going to fit around the bottom of the windscreen. 

So first I made a template with a thin piece of paper, to establish the curve required. 

A rummage through the decal box produced some Hurricane roundels in 1.48 and the navy blue band was about right! 

IMG_20190422_212132

Sorry, I keep doing that... 

IMG_20190422_193702

The first one was a bit of a disaster... 

IMG_20190422_212335

I gave the rest of the roundel 2 coats of clear varnish to try to give it some integrity, and tried again. 

A much happier result 

4 flaps are on, but being 4 handmade improvisation parts it's a challenge to get them all lined up :

-with the wings 

-with each other 

-with the distance backwards etc 

A small clothes peg can at least keep 2 sections aligned with each other. 

IMG_20190422_212147

6 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

One thing I noticed with the kit if the oleos are lowered. Not sure why, i know they can be and it's not a big deal. At Air Man. they were always extended.

Just run that past me again.... 

I think I have the basics for the rough, desert type of terrain for the High Andes Airport parking and maintenance areas. 

IMG_20190425_201710

IMG_20190425_201539

There's maintenance and repair work being done on the starboard main wheel bearing.... 

Bit of a rough landing, I guess...⚠️ 😇⚠️

• Like 2

Getting on with some of the fiddly bits and pieces, and I finally got round to building the 2nd propeller. 

Just realised I still have to fabricate the front door as the original plastic was ruined when I cut the opening, many moons ago. 

But she's starting to look the part now. 

IMG_20190428_003520

IMG_20190428_003544

IMG_20190428_003605

I guess a ladder would be quite handy for access to the doorway. 

As the instructions stated, none of the antennas are supplied except for the teardrop shaped fitting, but they give you a drawing of the various aerial types that can be scratched. 

Well, I suppose Williams have a point.... 

The variety of aerial fittings and their placing is pretty extensive!! 

• Like 2

Door fabrication is in hand. 

The kit is made with the main u/c doors in place in the closed position. 

To build with the wheels down, they need to be cut out - the moulding makes this easy. 

New Doors are supplied with inner detail. 

The pieces that are removed, however, have a nice curve and just the right size for a fuselage door.... 

IMG_20190428_190216

IMG_20190428_191405

Couple of hinge strips, tidy up and a paint and foil job and it's good to go. 

Decal paper is is ordered and should be here soon, and I'll see what can be done with the excellent design work from Martin 

😎🇧🇴🎈

And I'm pleased to report that the supplied decal sheet... When was it printed??... is still working very well!! 

IMG_20190428_233942

Not bad, eh? 

Unfortunately, I won't be using much more of the sheet. 

Well, not on this airframe... 😇

• Like 1

4 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

On DC-3s, the small door is nicknamed the hamburger door.

Yeah, I've had it referred to as well! 

Also known as the Meat Grinder...!! 

I think it's all in reference to the very close proximity of the whirling prop blades. 

I've had mixed results with old decal sheets, but I have to say more good results than bad. 

I'm always happy to give them a go 

A little more gentle persuasion is sometimes required, and especially going on to a foil surface I use some Decalfix. 

But then I tend to use that all the time when going on Ali finish. 

I pre-trimmed the carrier film on these walkways too. 

13 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yeah, I've had it referred to as well! 

Also known as the Meat Grinder...!! 

I think it's all in reference to the very close proximity of the whirling prop blades. 

I've had mixed results with old decal sheets, but I have to say more good results than bad. 

I'm always happy to give them a go 

A little more gentle persuasion is sometimes required, and especially going on to a foil surface I use some Decalfix. 

But then I tend to use that all the time when going on Ali finish. 

I pre-trimmed the carrier film on these walkways too. 

It all helps. I sometimes will put on a layer of decal film. I haven't used old decals much but it helps. The other thing I do is a good scan of the decal set first just in case it doesn't work. 

• Like 1