B-17F Scrapping - Storage Depot 41, Kingman, AZ.

It was very cold out in the workshop this morning, but I did a little sanding of the filler applied late last night and got some primer on the tail and waist.

b17boneyard079.jpg

The wooden floor in the waist still needs the ends snapping/tearing from the guillotine, but they won't go in until the fuselage is painted. I'm tempted to paint,decal and weather both of these sections before moving on to the rest of the airframe.

b17boneyard080.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

After a bit of a sanding here and there, I glued the tail gunner's glazing in place. It would require a bit of filling around the fairing joint, which was left until the glazing joint had hardened up.

b17boneyard083.jpg

The next step was to add some styrene into the leading edge of the elevators. Both elevators were clamped between some scrap wood to hold everything straight. They also required a little filler. Once dry, the edge will be sanded flat and a new piece of styrene added which will be sanded into the leading edge radius.

b17boneyard084.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

The rudder leading edge also needed a little filler. It had previously had styrene added to the leading edge.

b17boneyard085.jpg

I also gave the ragged sheared metal, where the aircraft was cut, a coat of silver paint. I'll probably use some form of masking fluid randomly along this joint before spraying the top coats.

b17boneyard086.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

Silver was sprayed on the tail section too.

b17boneyard087.jpg

After that had a little time to dry, I filled around the tail glazing joints and also on the fairing at the inner end of the elevator which had a bit of a sink hole.

b17boneyard088.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

On 27/01/2019 at 22:46, Army_Air_Force said:

There are plenty of pictures of B-17's in storage, with turrets and with turrets faired over ( which probably happened in service ). I have pictures of B-24's being cut up, and they are missing their turrets, so at present, I'm undecided.

I've just found your thread, and I'm impressed to say the least! Excellent idea being really well executed. 

I found this on my hard drive which I hope might help. Sorry, I don't have the source details, and I'll remove it if there are any problems as a consequence. I can see that its a LIFE photo.

My info says that the main airframe visible is B17G_10_VE_424003. No cutting evident here I'm afraid, but some details that confirm your reasoning earlier in the thread. Cockpit windows apparently open (as is the hatch). Nearest airframe is a B-17G; not sure of the exact subtype behind? (no chin turret but cheek guns?). But didn't some B-17 units start to remove their chin turrets at war's end? 

Also guns removed and engines removed too. Mid-upper turret is missing from the airframe in the centre - seems to support your speculation above.

Hope this helps

SD 

Not too far from you - Consett

B17G_10_VE_4240003_zps007922dd

Edited by SafetyDad
Airframe identifier added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think its such a great project and worthy of the compliments and plaudits received. scratch building and soldering skills abound (wish I could solder).

As you say, loooonng  . . . .  term project but so worth while and despite in sad conclusion of aircraft being broken up, it is now a sad part of the history of some wonderful war-birds.

I wish you continued success with the build  . . . .

Ian

\

• Like 2