Revell Trabant Universal

This one feels like it's been going on a long while but I've finally got it finished. Actually, it was only 5 months, but as I tend to do one build at a time that has been 5 months of a grey car where Revell have done a much better job than the real thing warrants. If you want to read the build thread, the link is below.

The design of the kit is excellent, probably the best designed kit I've done so far (including Tamiya kits) with the only minor issues being a misplaced tab on one of the side trims and the washer bottle perhaps could have done with a more obvious placement. But that really is it for design issues. The moulding wasn't quite up there though with some flash and mould lines to clean up. And I'm not convinced that the instructions really give you the best order to built it in - certainly towards the end I pretty much ignored the sequencing as I couldn't see how it would work following Revell's instructions.

The build itself isn't perfect, but I think it does give a pretty good indicator of where my level is at the moment. But, enough waffle. On with the pictures (sorry, but there are quite a few). First up, as the roof doesn't have to be cemented in place I left it loose so I can show the interior.

31956207007_206d670a35_c.jpg

31956202507_54dd06c20f_c.jpg

The kit also comes with a very nice representation of the two-stroke engine, including the fuel tank mounted right on top of it!

31956204777_8d164cc3be_c.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of it with bonnet open and roof off:

39932683573_522f22ff1a_c.jpg

31956217967_e18dd3fd87_c.jpg

And finally, at the risk of being a bit repetitive here's a few shots from all angles of the car as it is displayed.

46172686614_472cd98050_c.jpg

46172680734_b668928b4d_c.jpg

46897595311_37f2ab93dd_c.jpg

45982922795_d97b4c4890_c.jpg

46172684164_dd84c2fe48_c.jpg

46172676654_798244c6c5_c.jpg

45982920075_4b0ea12940_c.jpg

46172679574_ffb0a9a92d_c.jpg

Hope you like it. All constructive comments (good and bad!) are welcome.

• Like 18

That's a very nice job - I passed on one of these when Home Bargains had them in stock, regretting it a bit now! I think the grey suits the car perfectly, and you've applied it really well - probably better than the factory did on the real ones!

And what a brilliant design idea putting the fuel tank on top of the engine....!!

Keith

PS any idea on what the big A is for on the rear window? I like the altered DDR sticker too!

• Thanks 1

Excellent build Spiny, well done! Really really nice. You've made a gem out of a Trabant, that's not easy 🙂 

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

PS any idea on what the big A is for on the rear window? I like the altered DDR sticker too!

Could it be a sign for an "I'm still learning how to drive" driver? Don't they have the same in France?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Could it be a sign for an "I'm still learning how to drive" driver? Don't they have the same in France?

Maybe, but I've no idea tbh Jeroen, some people in the UK have a small green 'P' sticker on the car to show they've just passed their driving test, but it's a lot smaller than that A...!! :)

Keith

Thanks everyone, glad you like it.

As for the big A, I did look that up as it's an optional decal according to the instructions and I wanted to know what it was for. The result of that searching? Nothing, apart from one still from a film in 1969 where a trabant estate had an A on a sheet of A4 in the back window.

However... since this car comes with lots of options for number plates ("Trabant", 2xEast German, one each of reunified German, Austrian, Czech, Polish and Hungarian) I did a bit of checking to make sure I did have an East German plate with the crossed out DDR plate. And the other East German plate starts with a "Q" - Q-plates were reserved for foreigners (Auslander in German) so my best guess is that the A is for a foreign-owned Trabi. Unfortunately, I didn't think of that until after I'd fitted the A so let's hope I'm wrong! If I'm right, I'd guess the A is so big so that the Stasi couldn't miss it.

And as a reward for following that, here's an advert for the saloon (aka 'limousine') version:rofl: - possibly the only time you'll hear a Trabant described as "schnell"!

• Like 2

That's what I like to hear :)

Looking over those photos, I've just noticed that the bonnet hinge has come loose from the bonnet :( So in the spirit of rapid roadside repair, I've pushed it back in and given it a dose of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement in the middle of this post...

Great model :goodjob:

I remember having a Trabant tour in Berlin a few years ago although it was in the standard car not the estate version. It was highly entertaining mainly due to the driver who was a real Trabant enthusiast and incredibly knowledgable about the weirder side of Berlin's history.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 11:41 PM, keefr22 said:

Keith

Could A = Avoid. Were Homebargains selling off real ones?🤣

Nicely built kit, Spiny.👍

• Thanks 1

The big A in the rear window is handmade from a A4 paper sheet.

That means A = Anfänger (beginner)

There were no official stickers for that during this time, so many people do that by self.

The altered sticker DDR is only for a time after the wall came down, after the 9th of November 1989.

The number plate IB is for Berlin (East)

modelldoc

• Like 3

On 08/02/2019 at 21:05, modelldoc said:

The big A in the rear window is handmade from a A4 paper sheet.

That means A = Anfänger (beginner)

There were no official stickers for that during this time, so many people do that by self.

The altered sticker DDR is only for a time after the wall came down, after the 9th of November 1989.

The number plate IB is for Berlin (East)

modelldoc

Thank you for clearing up the mystery :)

As you say, the altered DDR sticker was only valid for a while after reunification - until 1993 if memory serves. My excuse for using it is that this is one of those cars bought by us decadent westerners after the wall fell, and then kept in a collection but off the road since. ;)

No, the story can be easier.

Before the wall came down, it was not easy to got a driving license. You must wait, sometimes some years.

Later is was easier and so many people started her drivers career.

Some put the sign "A" in the rear window. In 1990 - 1991 a Trabant was very cheap, because all people want to drive a Volkswagen, Opel or Ford...

So it can be a beginner, he bought this Trabant as a bargain and used it until end of 1993. This was the end of the old East German numberplate.

modelldoc

• Like 1

• 2 months later...