AoMlm4G.jpg

Hallo again

This will be my fourth Phantom in 1/48 scale. The S version. My first one of the US Navy and even my last one. The next will be a RF-4E from the IAF.

This a/c will be from VF-151. It will be in grey (4 different tones). To achieve a good effect, I will use a basic black paint, with lightning the panel center. In addition, to get repair panels in different pre-shades. The externals I reduce to the centerline tank only, to show this interesting wing!

Here I use (not correct) the left over brasin seat from the USAF. I hope to get it that way that the differences will not be shown. The oxygen gauge at the seat cushion I will cover with the harness.

In the kit, the floor is very difficult designed for the uniform plastic ejection seat (the same at all versions!). This understructure I had to remove for the brasin seat.

I wanted to use etched parts, but I lose all the 3D effect. Not at all! I will paint it.

Well, so let us see, what it will look like. Until next time.

j1Ub6rm.jpg

GWIoBtH.jpg

7mKfaDb.jpg

mgkbOfv.jpg

kGBcZJv.jpg

In68OVg.jpg

dQEgt1M.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 4

Hallo again

Subjects of today:

·        The Cockpit

·        The Ejektion seat

·        Sanding and filling the fuselage

I did not use the etched parts, because of the missing 3D effect. The painting was not complicated, routine. The instructions are good, to get along. It is my third Phantom from ZM. The instruction are generally confusing, and there is no overview for parts. Example: The lever for opening the hood! 4 different parts, for zooms, but no overview. In design business, the designer would drive all the people of a workshop crazy! However, the modeler should be resistant for all flaws and errors. You may see the installation of the pitot tube, with the missing diameter called out. 0.8 mm. Measure this, but if you do not have this equipment, you are in a bad position. The next miracle: The lever from the etched parts, handle is prepainted and it should be red. How to fold it? I guess the designer was absent with his brain!

Next issue is the banana ejection seat. A new invention from Eduard Brasin. The tolerances are not quite right. The assembled part looks like that. I put it in the garbage.

Yes, many stones lay on the path. I resume, if a new starter, a young modeler is confronted with such a high concentration of nonsense, he may give up. Remind yourself on easy to read instructions of Revell Monogram! Alternatively, Airfix!

The fuselage halves are nicely detailed. Specially the tail. However, the lower part of the cross section does not fit. Between hook area and parachute compartment, the tangents do not match at all. This is at all ZM Phantoms the most to sand area!

Now the fuselage is done. Filled with CA and glued. I removed the AOA indicator. I will take the AOA from Hobby Decal. This one is better to install. It is a correct design. You need a 0.5mm hole, and the base of the indicator has 1mm. Therefore, there is a shoulder to rest and glue. Much better than Master. There is no shoulder, and you may lose the AOA, if it slips away. The pitot tub and the other tube at the fin I removed. To be replaced by ZM set of etched parts, maybe done by Master.

I am sorry of all the bad subjects, modelling should be a joy!

Anyway, I will proceed. I am used to distress.

CNIGcIK.jpg

1Cqmql3.jpg

G7INjSf.jpg

NhQrn8z.jpg

ZqTEIf7.jpg

shcNCzt.jpg

tUiRLpb.jpg

3DqTy5G.jpg

OybVRjk.jpg

CGbQ4L4.jpg

fo0vCCR.jpg

2ysVNBH.jpg

G7Wx0RS.jpg

ueTe5VF.jpg

Xb47xRf.jpg

lmbez9e.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 5

Hallo again

Subject of today:

·        The air intake

·        Installation in the fuselage

·        Wing installation

·        New way of economic weathering with more realistic look

Now the air intake: Here you may notice the circular end as shown in the photo. There is a very uncomfortable design error, the step. It wobbles and you may get the right or wrong position during installation! Take care for ejection marks at the whole intake trunk from the entry to the outlet. I stiffened it with the thinnest evergreen sheet!

Now the end of the fuselage as shown in the photos: A support for the end of the wing & fuselage part is missing. It wobbles also! Awful area to grind. I am sure that ZM will not delete these flaws for the E version!

The surface treatment: I decided to make weathering more realistic. The black panel lines not so prominent. To achieve this, I put the black panel line fluid from Tamiya straight on the blank plastic surface. Afterward I did pre shading in white in the center of panels. Afterward spraying in the colour as intended. That is all. See and judge yourself!

Well, the airframe is quite well, slats and cockpit glass is missing yet.

Well, I will continue very soon.

KHMmX9m.jpg

U3lSvIk.jpg

Z54tLMQ.jpg

kiACWBY.jpg

UvoMolA.jpg

31LOt5s.jpg

7rYTbPg.jpg

eR0oC8f.jpg

oO54FkC.jpg

q4Rc71V.jpg

DjWUDvN.jpg

mxFqsGX.jpg

i3Q3IBR.jpg

eTiiZpT.jpg

ZERMTvb.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 5

Hello @dov!

This is a very interesting build of the ZM Phantom, I wait for the «E/G» to be released to start one... So I watch your progress with an interest 👍

8 hours ago, dov said:

q4Rc71V.jpg

The NMF looks clean and superb, how you achieve it?!

Cheers! 🙂

Hallo again

I started with doing all my glasses and spraying both sides of it. New Ware masks I can highly recommend. Even all the other lights I installed. The pitot and the other pipe on the tail I installed.

Well, this time I worked on my panel lines. Before giving the surface, any coat of primer or color. Since I want to have the panel lines not so strong. In reality, you see there on such an a/c just the shade of the small gap, or of a difference of thickness. Dirt is on a carrier a/c seldom, but the wear is visible. I will pre shade the panels in dependence what and where. You will see more next time.

The exhaust area I sprayed with C-8 from Mr.Color from Gunze. Right afterward I gave them a coat with GX-112 gloss varnish to protect the aluminum surface during masking. Afterward I masked it and shaded with diluted black the heat resistant panels. The pure metal panels above this area I masked and afterward they got a little bit of black shade. That is actually all. No Alclad. After I finished that all, I gave this area a flat finish with GX-113.

Now I have to mask the model for final spraying it.

g9aYu36.jpg

fKPHGL3.jpg

9SR3zX7.jpg

uVVnF4D.jpg

v3R1Gqv.jpg

ulXbEQQ.jpg

hTFla6P.jpg

7gC8qYZ.jpg

GUHCc1G.jpg

TZmngMK.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 4

Hallo again

Now, the a/c I sprayed in the appropriate camouflage in grey tones C308 / C307 / C337 / C301. The varnish before and after decaling was GX112 and after the cover in GX112 on the applied decals I used GX114 to get an nice smooth flat surface. According to the decal sheet. The decal sheet is quite informative, but I suggest spraying also the leading edge of the tail fin in C 301. It is better so, I had to be tricky to get a good result. The big decals work very well. Since I am a fool concerning decals, my weak point all the 25 years, I got along. Therefore, I prefer spraying all the stuff or transfers dry or wet.

Well, now I installed finally the nozzle and hook, the tailerons and the seat.

Well, next time the gear is on!

FUY1yjC.jpg

xQnVg66.jpg

N6pQ4UO.jpg

L0So02t.jpg

s9ThQya.jpg

F8qX74M.jpg

Zq7dmiS.jpg

rGIwyYN.jpg

eQOSeWs.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 4

Hallo again

Well, today the gear is on! Nothing special, just to spray it in appropriate colors and obtaining mishaps during assembly.

Uneventful.

As you see, the F-4S is complete now.

Nothing special to remark, but one major issue in comparison to my Hasegawa Kurnas: The angle of wingtips, watched head on from the front, the angle of the tailerons are so different, just like a joke. It is the same difference as you may notice if you build a MIG 15 in 1/48 from Revell, Tamiya or Trumpeter. So please fail your decision carefully, if you want to build an accurate F-4! ZM is far-out the most accuracy kit.

So, this blog is closed now.

I will continue with the Kfir in 1/48 as C2 in grey from AMK and Kinetic.

BOF6RTq.jpg

WNgFFrv.jpg

WgtXQfh.jpg

UhVenZJ.jpg

ri6Iqyr.jpg

v9sz9Et.jpg

kloaEDp.jpg

Happy modelling