Hasegawa Ki-84 Hayate

Well after about a year I have finally (ish) put this one to bed, the kit is typical Hasegawa, great fit and a pleasure to build, the paint used was Sovereign Colourcoats, Xtracolor and Humbrol, markings are painted using Makatar paint masks apart from the "45" on the tail and some red stripes on the tail markings which are decals, some cockpit parts are Aires, I did not use the complete cockpit to save time (it didn't). I also am not keen on lowered flaps so I modelled mine raised after seeing a build on HS in which the builder had raised his. I also used a couple of builds on LSP as guides as well.

I am really pleased with this one, the topside paint is Sovereign Colourcoats ARJ01 (same as ACJ22) which matches IJAAF#7 Ohryoku nana go shoku (I don't know either), at first I was disappointed that it was matt but it airbrushed beautifully and gave me a great finish. With handling the finish was matt with satin patches and looked great, it a shame that I could not replicate it at the end but a Satin varnish coat (Xtracolor) to me looks great, rather than a dead matt finish.

As I know next to nothing about Japanese subjects I contacted Nick Millman (Aviation of Japan) for advice and he very kindly answered all my detail questions on colours and model paint, he did the same when I built my Ki 27 Nate.

I did go off track with a couple of colours though so just in case any of you experts notice anything wrong any mistakes are mine not Nick's

I am useless at weathering so I tend to just fade the paint on my builds and dirty them up a bit.

I finally cracked the undercarriage hydraulic lines bit thanks to some good advice, but I still am not keen on Aerial wires the one on the build took me two attempts and it is still not anything to write home about.

So on with the photos, all taken with my phone, looking at them the prop is too clean it needs dirtying up but it is only pushed on so I can still sort it out.

ef2YVe.jpg

J1dTlj.jpg

hJmBol.jpg

oupn6K.jpg

7p8Crr.jpg

f1lgx7.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Hayate. Nice to see one which is not scraped down the the metal all over! - I know the Japanese aircraft did flake but not all of them all of the time!

Cheers

Malcolm

16 hours ago, colin said:

Very nice build and finish, these Hasegawa kits are getting on a bit now, but as you say the fit is brilliant and I've found the detail to be excellent.

Thank you for the kind words Colin, they are nice kits and the next two in the build line are both Hasegawa as well.

16 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Superbly finished!! Very nice indeed.

Miguel

Thank you Muguel, despite the protracted build I am rather pleased with this one.

14 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Beautiful job Dennis. I really like that.

Thank you Jamie and thanks for the paint it worked a treat.

13 hours ago, Baldy said:

Very nice Hayate. Nice to see one which is not scraped down the the metal all over! - I know the Japanese aircraft did flake but not all of them all of the time!

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcom, they all had to be new at some time.

12 hours ago, stringbag said:

Another lovely build Dennis.  Those display cabinets of yours must be fit to burst by now.

All the best.

Chris.

Hi Chris thanks for that, and yes the cabinets are getting rather full, mind you I've just had a two story extension added onto the house, the upper room is my new study and the ground floor is a garage for the motorbikes.

11 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Very nice.  For what it's worth, I like 'em clean (and not just because I'm afraid to try weathering!)

Hi Pete, I do like my models slightly used but not abused, as I said above they all were new sometime.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Hi Chris thanks for that, and yes the cabinets are getting rather full, mind you I've just had a two story extension added onto the house, the upper room is my new study and the ground floor is a garage for the motorbikes.

Dennis

Glad to hear that the bikes are catered for. 👍

Chris.

2 hours ago, stringbag said:

Glad to hear that the bikes are catered for. 👍

Chris.

Yes picked up a 650 Deauville a while back as well, did you ever finish off your Yam ?

Cheers

Den

16 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Yes picked up a 650 Deauville a while back as well, did you ever finish off your Yam ?

Cheers

Den

Still waiting for a rear shocker unfortunately but I'm under increasing pressure from a couple of mates to get it finished.  I might have to settle for some pattern replacements.

I'm going to make a concerted effort to get it ready for the summer.

Chris.

PS Sorry for the thread drift Den.

Just now, stringbag said:

Still waiting for a rear shocker unfortunately but I'm under increasing pressure from a couple of mates to get it finished.  I might have to settle for some pattern replacements.

I'm going to make a concerted effort to get it ready for the summer.

Chris.

PS Sorry for the thread drift Den.

No problem Chris, I fitted Hagons on the CB750

Den

That's a wonderful clean Hayata. It lets you feel how attractive this aircraft was when factory-fresh. Unfortunately, in real life they didn't last long with barely fledged rookies at the controls. But in the hands of a seasoned Master Sergeant...

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Toryu

2 minutes ago, spitfire said:

No problem Chris, I fitted Hagons on the CB750

Den

I have found some very good copies of the originals on line and was very tempted but would like to see them before I part with any cash.

I'll keep you posted.

Chris.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 10:39 AM, russ c said:

Superbly finished Frank there, really nice work

Thank you kindly Russ, it is one of my better ones.

Cheers

Dennis