Around the World Pedro Zanni's Fokker C.IV, 1/72 conversions

27 minutes ago, Marklo said:

All I can think of is when Ghandi was asked what he thought of western civilisation to which he replied ‘it would be a good idea’

😄

Not to get all political but it is starting to look as if there may be some return to sanity in your neck of the woods. Perhaps this is the first sign of things returning to some semblance of normal,

From your lips to Ilúvatar´s ears.

wether I can get a job again

Hopefully soon.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moa said:

Ilúvatar

Que?? (Don’t have the upside down question mark on this keyboard)

The Job thing is somewhat complicated by my ME which makes me make stupid mistakes and not be able to do eight hours on the trot. (Part time engineering work is almost non existent; in fact I was trying to go on a 4 day week at the beginning of the year and ended up getting made redundant!) But I am fairly financially sound and getting disability payments. But that said I’d like to get back to work but need to have my health under much better control for that. ( thanks for listening) End whinge.

• Like 1

The lower wing halves are pinned and their location measured and drilled on the fuselage sides. Besides four dimples for the landing gear, no other locations are marked on the fuselage, so it's up to you to do all the measuring and drilling for wings, struts, control cables, etc.

IMG_2493+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2493b%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The location of the float aft struts does not correspond to the ones for the landing gear at the rear. Their aft anchoring points are where the trailing edge of the lower wing is.

We can see here the resin floats from Khee-Kha Art Products, a superb, clean, precise cast. They fit the bill for this plane fantastically:

IMG_2495+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Floats position has to be determined, struts figured out and fabricated. The prop in the kit plan has a larger diameter than all the photos I have, and has to be trimmed slightly back:

IMG_2496+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 6

The floaties.

These did not have water rudders and therefore no cables running to them.

The structure consisted of two "M" arrays for and aft and diagonal braces, plus four very short struts connecting the internal sides of the floats vertically to the spreadbars, something I haven't seen before:

IMG_2497+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

All I can think of is when Ghandi was asked what he thought of western civilisation to which he replied ‘it would be a good idea’

Not to get all political but it is starting to look as if there may be some return to sanity in your neck of the woods. Perhaps this is the first sign of things returning to some semblance of normal, although we still have COVID,  Brexit and the impending ecological crisis(es?) (and my many medical conditions and wether I can get a job again) to get through yet.

I agree with Ghandi.

There does appear to be some light at the end of the election tunnel, and for once it does not appear to be that of an oncoming train. I hope your medical and employment conditions improve.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moa said:

Ilúvatar is the name of the creator in J.R.R. Tolkien mythology (see "The Silmarillion")

Should have known that one but then again even though the lord of the rings is one of my favourite books I struggled through the Silmarrillion.

I’m hopeful on the work front but won’t be doing a lot till next year at the earliest. I may look into contract work when things get a bit more normal, or see if I could blag my way into lecturing. I’m pretty good in CAD so was toying with the idea of getting a 3D printer and seeing if I could enter the aftermarket ( suggestions welcome btw) But as said thankfully I’m not under any great financial pressures.

Anyhoo enough about me. Back to the wonderful modelling.

Edited by Marklo

53 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Love the little mitre box, must see if I can get one. Potentially nerve wracking surgery :( 

There are several, not onerous, easy to obtain, by known manufacturers like Excel, Zona, etc.

Not particularly difficult, but as usual requires a bit of patience, some degree of dexterity, and cleanness.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moa said:

Not particularly difficult, but as usual requires a bit of patience, some degree of dexterity, and cleanness.

My default would be to bail in with a razor saw and cut it by eye.

But ( strangely enough) I find that the better my model engineering is the easier my builds are :) so I am trying to do more precision work, hence the callipers and the engineers square visible on my bench ( lord knows I have almost all the tools) and less bodging and catching thing in the edits :) sort of an early New Years resolution ( if 2020 ever ends)

41 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I think I have asked this before but I'm older now and can't remember, how do you know what floats are fitted to these craft?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Sometimes there are descriptions/specifications, sometimes it's evident because of the particularities of float.

In this case it's just by visual match, studying photos, and by taking measures. I was surprised to find among the sets that I have this pair, which needs absolutely no mods (most of the times I have to make changes to adapt what is in the market to my modeling purposes). It was a great relief, as even the step is in the right place, and so are the spreadbars!. These are Fairchild P6 floats, as used among others in the Fairchild 71. I have no idea if these P6 floats were the ones used, but the Fokker CV , a similar plane, apparently used a similar type of floats, and their shape, size and details match the P6's. The Fairchild 71 and Fokker C.IV were contemporaries.

IMG_2512+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

The wing is now ready for some spot-puttying and sanding, and eventually for the addition of the rib detail.

At this point I can honestly say that, given the not impressive at all quality of this kit, and the work involved in the conversion, one would be much better off with scratchbuilding.

Since my son is partial to the float version, I will strive to complete that one, and leave the land version for -may be- another time, as this is a phenomenal waste of time given the starting point.

Some of you may know that I have tamed many a dragon, but this is just a bit silly, also considering all the care needed to work with resin.

IMG_2576+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Love the rib work. After you've put a coat or two of primer down, do you do a light sand to smooth the ridges?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

It's several layers of primer on the one with the masking tape if done with airbrush (about 15) and Alclad primer.

If using a spray can with automotive primer may be about 5 or 6.

Once all has dried, tape is removed, and the hard edges carefully smoothed with soft pad light sanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case I ever want to proceed with the second kit, and whilst my grasp of the kit is still fresh, I am working on the other wing with a different approach, in order to keep the boring sanding exercise to a minimum. The extensions will be constructed, instead of solid, and consist of a lower skin, spars and metal pins bridging everything for solidity, and a closing upper skin:

IMG_2600+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2601+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 11