What's available to represent TWO aircraft in flight?

Antoine

Hi there,

I'm not used to dioramas, nor displaying our kits in flight, but I've some sort of project related to this, so I was wondering:

- What's available on the market to represent not one but TWO aircraft in flight, close together. 

I mean, not only the stands by themselves, but also the scene (Terrain or sea), blurred prop (does it only exist?), etc... 

Any idea is welcome.

-If it happen there's nothing that suits me, what would be your prefered material for a stand (to support a medium sized WW2 fighter))?

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the stand I would use a wooden block. With two kits you'll need weight for stability.

To suspend the kits, perspex rod should do the trick. You'll still see it, but it's less obvious than brass rod.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can use music string to suspend the model in the air. If you polish it up it wouldn't really catch an eye that much. If you are going to go that route I would recommend to attach the model during assembly stage to a much longer string that you think you would need, finish the model, make adjustments to the position and cut to the final length right before placing to the base.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are various options for the blurred prop:

• Electric motor, but needs wires running to it and a power supply
  • PE aftermarket sets such as PropBlur and Alliance Modelworks
  • Acrylic disc, can be bought or made, plenty of Youtube tutorials online

Cheers,

Warren

• 3 weeks later...

1/48 scale 'Diver Down ' display:

basechecks0005-zpsh7ygr0bl.jpg

basechecks0004-zpscrm14y6k.jpg

basechecks0001-zpspxyyzcwo.jpg

IMG-4357.jpg

- rare Tekniks 'Gesturing Pilot" the genesis piece that started the whole affair.

- 1/16 s/s tig rod mounts seated into mounts installed within the airframes

- 1/2" mdf base w/ printed blurred 'English Countryside' photo on vehicle wrap vinyl stretched over and laminated

- prop blades cut out on my sign cutter and airbrushed , I would use my laser to cut them out now as it polish' the edge.

I looked at ALL of the ways to do this settling on this combination and I would still do a few things differently.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

I've never liked the look of the etched blurred props and clear discs usually don't have the thickness to look right. You also often see them mounted behind the spinner, not in the actual location of the blades.

Last year I tried something new on my daughter's Triplane, using some 3mm clear acrylic to give the prop some thickness. It was cut into two arcs, tapered in thickness, polished, then sprayed brown, more densly at the blade leading edges. The overspray is a little too much, so the prop lost some of its transparancy, but I was quite pleased for a first go. I'm sure with a bit more refining of the process, it could look much better.

fokker_dr1_119.jpg

• Like 1