Tupolev Tu-22M3 crash

bentwaters81tfw

Well - thanks for sharing the link.  It was an awful accident. But, more than that, thank you for your comment about respect for the crew.  Respect richly deserved.

Jonny

• Like 1

A truely terrible event. Tragically, the aircrew died serving their nation and respect is very much due to them. 

A couple of things occur to me after watching the video.  Why was the landing being filmed? Standard procedure in bad weather conditions? Or, did they know that there was a problem with the aircraft? 

Also, the aircraft did not appear to land that hard from what we can see, but it still broke in two. Obvioulsy, there could be several factors involved that are not evident in the clip.

Again, a very sad occurence. 

Chris.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

A truely terrible event. Tragically, the aircrew died serving their nation and respect is very much due to them. 

A couple of things occur to me after watching the video.  Why was the landing being filmed? Standard procedure in bad weather conditions? Or, did they know that there was a problem with the aircraft? 

Also, the aircraft did not appear to land that hard from what we can see, but it still broke in two. Obvioulsy, there could be several factors involved that are not evident in the clip.

Again, a very sad occurence. 

Chris.  

The aircraft hit the ground with a 7.6G impact. It did seem to lose a lot of height very rapidly so could have been in the early stages of stall. Especially as they were beginning to throttle up quite quickly. 

I honestly can't believe they were landing in those conditions. Huge respect to those who perished. Rip

From comments on PPRuNe I understand that Russian Air Force standard procedures include filming all take-offs and landings for training and evaluation purposes.

The rapid sink rate of the aircraft would suggest that the pilots simply did not see the runway in the visibility, and the crash was a CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain) accident. Either way, three airmen died as a result, and one wonders why -unless they were short of fuel- they were not diverted elsewhere .

• Like 1

I’ve looked at the video a few times. The sink rate doesn’t appear to be overly excessive prior to touchdown but the bounce following suggests that it was. 7+ negative g would be well beyond any structural design criteria. However, I would expect the landing gear to collapse rather than the aircraft bounce if it were that high.

On further review, it looks like it was a heavy touchdown, with the forward fuselage breaking off at a manufacturing join. Most of the “bounce”, therefore, was aerodynamic, with the center of gravity shifting aft, resulting in a pitch up, which caused the angle of attack and therefore the lift to increase. Something similar occurred here, only with the extreme aft end of the fuselage breaking off: http://youtu.be/QIsbSz03WdU

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 4:21 PM, Toe said:

Horrible incident and hope something will be learnt but equally horrible are some of the comments, people died in that film and yet some rejoiced.........

Yep.  The internet is a wonderful place.

I agree that they may not have seen the ground. The rate of descent looks to be a not-insubstantial rate but the lack of any flair before touchdown suggests that the aircraft was just flown into the ground.

Fairly bad conditions, and I would not have wanted to feel that bang and the few seconds that followed it.

Poor, poor guys.

50 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I agree that they may not have seen the ground. The rate of descent looks to be a not-insubstantial rate but the lack of any flair before touchdown suggests that the aircraft was just flown into the ground.

Fairly bad conditions, and I would not have wanted to feel that bang and the few seconds that followed it.

Poor, poor guys.

I'd imagine any kind of flair or showmanship was the last thing on their mind with those conditions........

On a serious note though, I don't know with the Tu22 but does it flare on landing? or is the approach profile not unlike, for example, Concorde which didn't flare on landing?

Edited by Agent K
typo