John Alcock and Arthur Whitten Brown and the Siskin - sorted!

JackG

In 1919, this pair accomplished the first non-stop flight across the Atlantic.  Ten years later, the Canadian aerobatic team composed of a trio of Siskins, celebrated the anniversary event by christening the port side cockpit as seen below - this was on air frame no 59.

22115.jpg

According to this list:  http://www.rwrwalker.ca/rcaf_detail1_50.html

aircraft no 20 was dedicated to the navigator Captain Sir Arthur Whitten Brown.   I don't think he was awarded any medal for his services during WWI, but they both did receive the Order of the British Empire for their Transatlantic flight.  Is it possible then that the initials O.B.E. for the medal be found as above in place of the D.S.C?

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Got it!

Found an image courtesy of the SilverhawkArthor site:

http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warplanes-1-the-biplane-era-armstrong-whitworth-atlas-and-siskin-fighters_700.html

Armstrong-Whitworth-Siskin-Mk--IIIA--RCA

Comparing to the first photo linked, I've come up with this using a Moulin Rounge font (somewhat close, but best I can find):

ZsdwRfL.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

• JackG changed the title to John Alcock and Arthur Whitten Brown and the Siskin - sorted!
  • 2 months later...
On 1/27/2019 at 7:55 PM, JackG said:

Found an image courtesy of the SilverhawkArthor site:

Interesting photo, note the wind driven generators between the undercarriage legs (stbd, port is fuel pump) and over port wing, overwing ID light and underwing night landing holt flare brackets, but no nav lights or brackets for same in evidence! Presume generators one each for lights and radio, but why no nav lights fitted if it has the generator and is presumably expected to be landing after dark with the fitting of holt flares?