Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tony Whittingham

Dakota 4 help required - BAFO natural metal airframes

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I was wondering if natural metal RAF Dakotas in the early post war period had underwing serials and roundels? As far as I can tell, they have late war type C roundels and fin flashes.

Does anyone have photos that show the lower wing surfaces?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

 

TW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picture 7 on this link shows the underside of the Dakota IV, enough to see the underwing roundels and what looks to be an F.

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/dakota%2Ckp208 

 

This link perfectly shows the underside of a Dakota IV in February 1945.

https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/crash_sites/scotland/douglas-dakota-kk194-ben-talaidh/

 

 

Edited by Sturmovik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless I've missed something none of those are in natural metal.

Tony, did you mean this scheme as seen in 1948 during the Berlin crisis? D type roundels by this stage though, obviously

large_000000.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Picture 7 on this link shows the underside of the Dakota IV, enough to see the underwing roundels and what looks to be an F.

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/dakota%2Ckp208 

 

This link perfectly shows the underside of a Dakota IV in February 1945.

https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/crash_sites/scotland/douglas-dakota-kk194-ben-talaidh/

 

 

The photo in the 2nd link has nothing to do with the crash of KK194 apart from illustrating a post war Dakota in a much later Transport Command scheme, 1960s probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dervish said:

The photo in the 2nd link has nothing to do with the crash of KK194 apart from illustrating a post war Dakota in a much later Transport Command scheme, 1960s probably.

And is the Air Atlantique Dakota dressed up as one, on the left side of the pic is their Shackleton...

 

cheers, Jan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I believe,it was an order immediately after the cessation of hostilities to put serials on the under wing

surfaces to discourage low flying.

 

Certainly this was the case with 5 Group Lanc's,so why not with other machines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree as the above post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Unless I've missed something none of those are in natural metal.

Tony, did you mean this scheme as seen in 1948 during the Berlin crisis? D type roundels by this stage though, obviously

large_000000.jpg

Hello Work in Progress,

you’re correct, this is the scheme I am after, but with the type “C” roundels. I’m looking for Dakotas of the BAFO communication squadron.

 

TW

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Remove duplicates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...